The birth of Arthur Jacob

mum22ttc#3

Mum of 3
Reaction score
So I haven't done a birth announcement with my other LO's but thought it would be nice to have here and to be able to look back on.

I already have 4 girls and was due our first boy on the 19th June this year. I've always gone over before so assumed that I would follow with the same pattern this time around too.

On the 17th I woke up and after going to the toilet realised I had had my show, I'd never had my show before without actually being in labour so decided to phone the labour ward for advice. They asked about movement which I said I hadn't felt any yet but wasn't concerned as if only just woken. They told me to keep an eye for the next two hours and if all was fine then to just carry on as usual and if not to phone back. I left it 3 as I had to take both dd2 and 3 to school but after getting back and sitting quietly for an hour I had felt very little movement so called back like they had said. They asked me to go up for monitoring so I called OH back from work and made our way up there.
Once up there they hooked me up to the monitor and baby then wouldn't stop moving. While there I was getting pains every 10-20 minutes, nothing more than braxton hicks but they were registering on the monitor at about 70. When the midwife discharged us she said that she couldn't tell whether they were real contractions or whether they were false because of the show and that they would fizzle out later.

After we left we decided to go off shopping for a little and then headed back home to see if anything would become of them. Later in the afternoon they started to become a little stronger, again nothing painful but a little uncomfortable and 8-10 minutes apart. I phoned the labour ward again for advice and as my previous labours had all been quick they asked us to come up and be checked out.
Once we got there the midwife checked all the normal and done an internal to see if I was dilated. At this point t she said I was 1-2cm and only 20% effaced. I think I knew before I went up there that they was nothing but was panicking because of how quick my labours had been previously. We went home and by the time we got back at around 5 o clock they had completely stopped so that night I decided to get an early night and went up around 10 o clock.

18th June- I woke at 1.07 in the morning with a pain and needed to go to the toilet, I thought it may have been trapped wind and so went back to bed to try and get some more sleep. I just started dozing and again was woken by another pain 8 minutes later. I knew they were definitely stronger than the previous day but still wasn't sure if they was the real thing. I decided to get up and quickly downloaded an app to time them. By 1.45 they were coming every 5-6 minutes and I was having to breathe through them, I decided to phone the labour ward but at the same time was doubting myself and didn't want to get childcare sorted in the middle of the night for nothing. After speaking to them I decided to go in and at least get checked. It took me around 30 minutes or so to get childcare sorted and we left for the hospital just after 2.30 am.

When we arrived the contractions were 4-5 apart and although I was still having to breathe through them I could walk through them and so was doubting as to whether they were real or not. Because it was the middle of the night it took us about 15 minutes to get to the midwife led centre as we had to walk through the back way, we arrived there at about 10 past 3 and was shown into a room.

Once in there the midwife told us to have a seat and that she would be back shortly. I had another contraction after using the bathroom which were now 3-4 minutes apart, as I come back out and leant on the bed I felt a weird pop inside my stomach followed by a small gush of waters about 20 seconds later. I honestly didn't know at this point whether it was my waters or whether I had wet myself, my waters had never gone before until pushing so I didn't have any idea as to what it would feel like. My OH rung the buzzer and the midwifes came back in, she was going to do my checks but I said I needed to use the bathroom first, when I went in I see on my pad that there was green so told the midwife as I knew that it meant meconium. She asked to check and confirmed that it was. I was told that she would do my checks but would have to transfer me to labour ward as I would need to be monitored, she added that that was unless I wanted to give birth there and then.
I had another contraction as I came out of the bathroom and at that point asked for gas and air, I also asked her if I was definitely in labour as I was still quite worried about being sent back home. While she was checking my stomach I had another contraction and told her that it felt quite 'pushy'. She done my blood pressure which was quite high, another reason that I would need to be transferred. The next contraction came pretty quickly after and I knew by that stage I needed to push, two contractions later and his head was born and one more after that his body.

Arthur Jacob was born at 3.35am weighing 7lb 10.5 oz.

Afterwards the midwife told me that she knew I was going to give birth pretty quickly after checking my waters and that is the reason she didn't transfer straight away as she knew if she did I would have given birth in the lift. I'm not sure how she knew as she never done any internal just the usual checks, I was even doubting that I was in real labour until it came to pushing lol

I'm quite sad that it was my last time giving birth, as although the contractions are painful I can honestly say I loved everything about both my labour and birth :)

Lovely birth story. Thank you for sharing and all the best with your now family of 5 children.

A son after four daughters! Amazing! Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->