The birth of Oscar George :) homebirth

carries

Mother of two under two!
Reaction score
Ok...am going to try to write this as best as I can remember aided by some very helpful notes made by my midwives in my pregnancy notes! Sorry if its too long!

As most of you know I was expecting a yellow bump on the 23rd November, a date which came and passed! I was getting anxious as we really wanted a home birth and there was talk of induction but, on the night of the 3rd December my body (or my baby) decided to take things into its own hands!

Around 11pm I felt a few twinges which i wasnt too sure about. Me and my Oh got up and had a cup of tea while I bounced on my birth ball trying to time the pains and see if they had any pattern. I still wasnt convinced it was labour and so sent My Oh back to bed while I bounced downstairs. By 3.30am I was convinced that they were contractions at about 5 mins apart. I called the midwife who said to wait until either my waters broke or the contractions were lasting over a minute. Typically this happened pretty much as soon as I got of the phone to her...my waters broke and so I called her back so that she could come out and assess me.

I was still expecting it all to be false labour and so was really pleased when she did the internal and found that I was 3cm dilated!!!

By 6am my TENS was starting to be less effective and so my OH set about filling the pool in the dining room. As soon as this was full I got in and I have to say it really helped with the pains. I tried to go without gas and air for as long as possible but by 730am i asked to start to use it as the pains were getting more intense.

I was basically in the pool from then on which was great although when the water cooled down and I got cold the labour slowed a bit and my contractions spaced out. This is common apparently as all your body's energy goes int o keeping you warm instead of labour. The midwives were great though at topping up the pool and apart from a couple of occassions I was warm enough not to be uncomfortable.

I went through a couple of midwives due to shift changes but to be honest I didnt care! In the end I had two midwives and one student midwife. The student midwife delivered my beautiful baby boy onto my chest in the pool at 3.14pm after about an hour of pushing after about 16 hours total labour. We waited until the cord stopped pulsating and then clamped the cord and i delivered the placenta naturally about 15 mins after delivery.

Apparently I went though about 6 canasters of gas and air (they are only 40 mins each though!) and even had Nottinghams emergency cannister as the pharmacy's delvery was late! It did run out a couple of times and there was a delay in getting the extra cannisters but apparently I just mooed like a cow through the contractions where I had no pain relief!

Oscar George weighed in at a whopping 9lb 1 oz but thankfully no stiches (a couple of labial grazes though...nice!)

It was wonderful to be at home and to be in our own environment. I had a shower after in my own shower and was in my own bed about an hour after delivery. I had set up a playlist on I tunes as well so had lots of great chill out music throughout the labour and delivery.

Oscar is just simply perfect and despite the extreme lack of sleep my Oh and I are totally in love and over the moon.

Jeez I have rambled and there is so much more I could write but Oscar is sue another feed so I had better get back to my mummy duties!

Thank you to all the lovely ladies on here for all your support and I will see you all in the post natal forums!

I will attach piccies when I upload them to the comp!

Congratulations on getting the birth you wanted and a beautiful baby boy. x

Congrats!! So happy you got the birth experience you had wanted!!

wow great story!! You are brave to have a home birth but I bet it must have been amazing being in your own home. It's something you will never forget everytime you walk through your dining room :) Congrats!

so glad you got your home birth! congrats

Congratulations! a lovely birth story too.
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->