The birth of Peyton Quinne

Tegans Mama

home edding mum of 2
Reaction score
Whilst technically this isn't my story to tell, I feel like I need to tell people about it. I need to tell everyone. So I hope some of the oldies who recognise me will read this.

Wifey was "due" to have peyton on the 7th of May. One day before my birthday. A week before she was due, she was bouncing around on the birth ball when she felt a gush of fluid, so we dropped Tegan with my sister and went to the hospital at 2am. After examinations and all the usual stuff, we were sent home. Midwife said she didn't think her water had broke as there was no evidence of fluid when she was examined. So, we went home. We left Tegan with my sister for the night and had a good nights rest.

Fast forward 8 days, and we had our first "post dates" appointment at the hospital. Wifey had gestational diabetes, so she had a growth scan. The sonographer said the fluid levels looked a little low. I told wifey to prepare for the dr we would see next saying she had to be induced. I sent my sister a text to let her know what was happening.
When we saw the dr, she said there was evidence that wifeys water had broken previously as the fluid levels were very low (they're meant to be 15 I believe, and wifeys were a 2). She said this would mean wifeys labour would need to be induced. That day. So we went home for an hour, and grabbed our bags and stuff. Everything Tegan would need was already at my sisters house.

Nothing really happened for the first few hours. At about 5pm they inserted the propess. At this point wifey was 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. At about 8pm wifey was having some good contractions but baby's heart rate was dipping with each one, so the consultant came in. By now the contractions are quite intense. The consultant broke the remainder of her waters (nothing really came out) and was stretching her cervix out. Wifey was almost screaming with the pain, and when she asked the dr to stop, her didn't. He did the same thing again and ignored her requests for him to stop three more times before the midwife had to tell him that enough was enough. (We placed a formal complaint about this).

By this point wifeys contractions were very intense, and they were doubling up. Instead of getting a break inbetween contractions, she would have one contraction, it would start to die down, and then another would start straight away. It was so incredibly difficult for me to see her in so much pain. My heart was breaking by now. I've never seen her like that before. When she was checked again at 10pm, she hadn't progressed at all. Later, another consultant said she thought the first Drs actions caused her dilation to stall. She had the syntocinon drip put in and agreed to have an epidural.

From the next 16 hours or so things were pretty straight forward. Wifey slept for most of the time. I slept, read, played sudoku. Called my sister a few times for a natter. At 1pm the midwife did an internal and she was 6cm. The consultant said if she'd made no more progress by 5pm they would start considering a caesarean. So we kept our fingers crossed!!
They checked her again at 5pm and she was 8cm. They said they'd check her again at 7, and if she was fully dilated they'd wait another hour before she started pushing. So again we waited. 7pm came and she was 9 and a half with a small lip. They checked again at 8 and it was gone, so we would start pushing at 9.

The next part was so surreal. We'd talked previously, and I really wanted to catch the first moments on film. But I also wanted to be in the moment. I didn't want to be that birthing partner who just stands there with a camera. So I decided to try my best to film what I could, but not to let the filming take away from the experience. As a bit of background, Tegan was born with spina bifida and she was very poorly when she was born. I had a c section that sent really wrong and I don't remember seeing her until she was 3 days old. She wasn in hospital until she was 9 and a half weeks old.

We started pushing. The consultant came in as she was on the ward, and compared wifey to a steam train. Apparently they don't see many women who can push that well after an epidural. I was filming the actual pictures on wifeys phone. I was stood at her right side, holding her hand, giving her sips of water, wiping her brow with a cool damp washcloth. And telling her what I was seeing. After 4 pushes, the top of babies head was visible. A little piece of hair about the size of a 5p coin. I couldn't believe it. She'd only been pregnant 9 months and I still couldn't believe we would have a baby at the end of all this. I was telling her when to push. She was in her own world, not listening to anyone but me. It truly felt like we were the only people in that room. Like we were doing this together, just us.

With the next push, more of baby's head became visible, and I told wifey to have a feel of the babies head. The midwives seemed shocked at this point, because I was looking at what was happening. I was watching. I wasn't squeamish, I wanted to see our baby be born.
Wifeys phone has a setting you can film something, pause the recording and then continue recording again when you need to. So I filmed every push, even though we were all sure we would be here a while yet.

On the 6th push, babies head popped out. Watching her head rotate as she got ready to be born was amazing. The next push nothing really happened and wifey was getting tired by now. I was giving her sips of lucozade and making sure she wasn't too hot. On the next push, as I started to film, bearing in mind I wasn't really watching the phone, it was just pointing in the right direction, wifey did a huge shudder, and a bit of a shout as babies head came out fully. The midwife told her to stop pushing and let her body get ready to deliver the shoulders.

She tried to stop pushing, but said she had an overwhelming urge to push, like she really needed to poo. So she pushed. And in one big sweeping moment, our baby girl came into the world, with a head full of dark brown hair, a beautiful little face, 10 fingers, 10 toes. She was just beautiful. And my wife was amazing. It was the most life altering experience I have ever had, and I'll never be able to look at her again without thinking how powerful she is. How amazing her body is, to do something so fantastic. I couldn't speak. The baby started to cry, and they have her straight to wifey. At this point the dr knocked on the door and asked how we were getting on. Just as she finished speaking, the baby let out an almighty cry, and the dr came in and gave me the hugest hug. I was crying R this point, wifey was crying, it was so emotionally charged. I called my sister on FaceTime about 10 minutes after baby was born, so that Tegan could be the first person to see her baby sister. When my sister answered the globe, she was locked in her bathroom, crying her eyes out with relief that baby was safely here.

We came home the day after peyton was born. Driving home with a baby who was less than 24 hours old felt so surreal. For weeks we would be amazed that this little being was ours, to keep, to love. My sister bought Tegan home after a 3 night long sleepover and they bonded straight away. She asked to watch the video, and since wifey said yes, we watched it together. My sister burst out crying, and said its not the actual video that makes her so emotional, it's the sound of my voice as im telling wifey what to do, the way my voice cracks and I start to cry when she's born. I tear up just thinking about it! It was truly the most amazing thing i have ever experienced, and I feel privileged to have played such a part in our babies arrival. It was one of the happiest days of my life.

Peyton Quinne R------
10-05-16
21:11
7lb 6.5oz
54cm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member