"The" cut

LJaydow

Jack, Elizabeth
Reaction score
I have just been reading a birth story and the "cut" was mentioned...do they numb you beforehand?!

I have been sitting here thinking they numb you up before taking the scissors to you, but this birth story said that she only had gas and air

I have no idea of contraction pain, but I am sure that hurts enough to possibly "take away" from the pain of the cut, but im kinda shocked!

Please someone tell me I can have some painkiller or something, this is the very part of labour that is scaring me the most!

I think it is uncommon not to have anaesthesia: https://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/labour/episiotomy/

Yea you get an ansecatic and believe me you don't feel a thing so don't worry I had it done twice and I'm sure it will be done again this time :hugs:

I think it depends on the hospital, where I go they give you a local anesthetic (injection) befor they cut, unless you have already the epidural on...or there is too late for an injection (I really doubt that they wait until is too late).

You can ask beforehand to give you the local before cutting anything, so they are aware of your preferences.
I don't know if they should cut without an anestethic, we are in the 21st century for God sake....

I had local anaesthetic beforehand and didn't feel a thing!

Just got back from antenatal class, she discussed this just now and she said u get pain relief and then the video (old school) we watched said you get local anaesthetic.

I've planned for a home birth and the midwife already brought round the local anaesthetic in case it's need.

I also read this story and thought 'ouch' and that it didnt sound right.... tearing / being cut also scares me a hell of alot!

I was cut for my first daughters birth and they did say they were numbing with local anaesthetic but unfortunately they didnt leave it long enough to work beofre making the cut so i felt it....but in my case her HB was dropping and they had a whole theatre team in waiting in case i needed a csection so they had to get her out very quick. It was a very very quick pain that made me shout out, then by the time they were using the forceps to pull her out, i was numb.

I'm sure when its in normal circumstances they would wait for the local to kick in befoire cutting.x

Thank you thank you THANK YOU!!! One less thing to worry about! I am going to put it on a banner though to hang above my door "Do not enter with scissors unless you are planning on numbing my bits first"

In my area my MW said they will hardly ever cut you and rather that you tear as it heals better.

But when she did talk about it she did mention that they numbed you and this usually lasts for a few days. I guess it depends on why you need to be cut and whether it is urgent. I assume if they have the time they will wait for you to have a local if you wanted it.

Fingers crossed you don't need it!!

x

i was cut last time and i dont remember feeling anything so they must of numbed the area somehow, same as when they then stitch you back up, you dont feel it x

try not to worry you probably wont even need to be cut . im sure if you do though and there is time they numb it :)

My mom had episiotomy's with 3 of her kids...they didn't catch it on time with the 4th, so she ended up tearing. We were just talking about this the other day =]

But they should give you a local anasthetic to numb it up. She said it didn't bother her much at all...and the only problems she had afterwards each time, she was a little sore and itchy..that's about it, but I suppose it would be different for different people.

My mom said she didnt get any numbing stuff when she had it her second two times. Her first time she was asleep. (they put her to sleep to deliver). She said youre in so much pain anyway, and they did it as she was bulging and pushing so its already numbing itself when youre bulging and youre concentrating on pushing and u dont notice.

I was cut when I was having DS1 but I cant honestly remember being numbed as they cut. They may have even done it during a contraction and as I was doing ok without pain relief,not even gas and air I doubt I would have known! I do remember though that after he was born they numbed me up for stitching and that smarted a little and as he tore me inside aswell as the episiotomy the numbing meds wore off halfway through the stitching and that was uncomfortable but I wouldnt say it was painful but my understanding is that if you need to be cut then they numb you

I just had my baby 7 weeks ago. My epidural was SO GOOD that I never felt a single thing with regard to the labor and birth. Seriously. I felt as much of the birth as I am feeling right at this moment sitting in front of my desk at work. Absolutely nothing.

And I pushed out a 10-pound baby.

I had a 2nd degree episiotomy from my vagina to my no-no hole. Let me tell you, the healing was WAY worse than childbirth for me. Especially going #2 for the first time. I thought I was pooping a brick and that I had ripped my stitches open. Ow ow ow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->