-The DIY club-

you can do zigzag all the way round and skip the straight stitch but theyll be more durable if you do the straight stitch too :) also, you left your sewing machine wheel at mine lol x

and a guide to making your own baby wipes is:

cut two pieces out to whatever size you want, i like to use size of disposable ones then i can use a disposables plastic box, pin all the way round, both right sides facing out, then do teh dtraight stitch all around, close to the edge, then do a tight zigzag all around, putting one point of the zigzag on teh fabric and the other point over the edge to hold it in, i like to use number 3 for width of stitch, and 1 for length of stitch just to give you a rough idea :) x

Here are my instructions for T&T wipes (turned and topstitched):

- cut 2 pieces of fabric ~1inch larger in both width and length bigger than your desired finished size (ie, if you want wipes that are 8x8, start with 2 squares that are 9x9)
-place the 2 pieces of fabric rightsides together and sew with a straight stitch all the way around (about 0.5" from the edge of fabric), stopping about 1 inch from where you started so that you are leaving about a 1 inch gap- this is the hole that you will use to turn your wipes rightside out. I find it works best to make the gap in the middle of a side rather than close to a corner.
- I like to clip the 4 corners now so that there is only a tiny bit of fabric beyond each of the corner points (about a mm or 2)- totally optional but it makes for better looking corners when you're finished
- Turn your work inside out through the hole you've left in your stitching so that the right sides are now showing, working the corners to make the wipe as square as possible (unless you've sewn curves rather than actual pointy corners)
- Sometimes I iron the wipes at this point to make them look extra nice (but you don't have to, lol)
- pin the two sides together where you had left the hole for turning your work so that the gap is closed- this holds the gap closed when you sew over it next
- Topstitch all the way around the wipe (don't leave any gaps) about 0.5cm around (I usually just use the edge of the presser foot as a rough guide). This closes up the hole from turning your work and looks pretty. I sometimes use a zigzag for the topstitching but a straight stitch is fine.

T&T wipes are super durable but you can also just put your 2 rightsides facing out (like a finished wipe looks), straight stitch all the way around and then do a tight zigzag to try to overlock the edges. I don't think it looks as nice but it's functional and pretty quick. I have a serger now so I just serge the two pieces together quickly. I think the breastpad instructions were just trying to mimic how a serger works- a serger does one row of straight stitching and another row of overlock around the edge all at once (2 needles and 4 threads working at once). You probably could just do the zigzag and it would work just fine.

hth- if you need some piccies, I can try and do a photo tutorial for you but I probably wouldn't have a chance to post that until Monday :flower:

Great, that explains it better than a lot of the instructions I waslooking at. Thanks for that! :thumbup: I dont think I need pics thanks, but may call back on here asking for help :dohh:

you can do zigzag all the way round and skip the straight stitch but theyll be more durable if you do the straight stitch too :) also, you left your sewing machine wheel at mine lol x

Oh my god, you know what - weve been looking everywhere for it! I thought I must have left it on the street when I was putting the kids in the car!! :dohh:
If I paypal you some money for postage (and the hassle), would you mind posting it for me? :flower:

I have just made my first fleece soaker :D I didn't bother making it perfect because I was just tryna see if it would work and fit etc. I wanted the teddy pictures to be at the front of the nappy but due to its position on the blanket it had to go at the back and upside down :\ LOL!! What do you think? :p

https://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/2Princesses_2010/2011-04-24202740.jpg

https://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/2Princesses_2010/2011-04-24202712.jpg

I have just made my first fleece soaker :D I didn't bother making it perfect because I was just tryna see if it would work and fit etc. I wanted the teddy pictures to be at the front of the nappy but due to its position on the blanket it had to go at the back and upside down :\ LOL!! What do you think? :p

https://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/2Princesses_2010/2011-04-24202740.jpg

https://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/2Princesses_2010/2011-04-24202712.jpg

I think thats fab!!!

it does look really good, gutted you couldnt get your pic where you wanted it, tip for next time, just cut round it and applique it onto the bum :) x

looks great..I was going to say that too..cut it out and sew it on the bum!

LOL now why didn't i think of that :dohh::blush:

Thanks for the tip girls I shall do that next time so it isn't upside down lol xxx

Just wanted to say you ladies are amazing for making your own things. I hope to be joining you when I get my sister's machine in the next month. Until then I will keep being nosey in here to try to learn a few things until then. :haha:

Cute soaker- love the pattern on the fleece! Katrina soaker pattern? I've made quite a few of those too- I love that it's so quick to make :)

The other thing you could have done was slice the pattern at the crotch, making a front and back piece, adding a seam at the crotch (and seam allowance when cutting the pieces out). You'll use nearly the same amount of fabric (well, plus about an inch for the seam allowances) but it'll allow you to flip a print on the bum so that it's the right way up :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments :D

Yes it is katrina's pattern, very quick to make! I was thinking of doing the pattern at the front and having a separate peice at the back as you say, but i thought it would cause wicking at the crotch seems?

Wicking shouldn't be an issue if you use polyester thread. There is also the extra layer in the wetzone that should help minimize any problems too :thumbup:

^wss, polyester doesnt absorb so as long as you use polyester threaad and not cotton youll be fine :) x

I'm going to make my own wetbag this weekend :D

I'm going to make my own wetbag this weekend :D

Cool :D I could do with another wetbag. what material will you use?

i have a few bits and bobs, might use some leopard print or i have some cool fabric with sugar skulls all over it! just bought some PUL off ebay there so hopefully it arrives soon! :thumbup:

Oh I didn't know you could get pul off ebay, how much does it cost per metre? I'd like to make a zip one, but the zip material would have to be waterproof right?

Ooh a wetbag, never thought of that! Are you doing a drawstring or zip?

youd have to make sure you got a polyester zip and then itd be waterproof enough :)

ive added more stuff ive made onto my blog, link in my adspace if you want to have a look :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->