-The DIY club-

^^ start now, lol! :)

Seriously though, I do wish I'd been more organized with Emma's birthday quilt- I'm now finished the top part of it and just need to attach the batting and backing (the batting part will be a bit tedious) but it took way longer than I anticipated and I reached a point where I had to stop being exact about squares lining up and just get it done so although I'm happy enough with it, I'm sure a real quilter wouldn't be too impressed :haha:

Having a quilt last "forever" is a lovely idea though :flower:

Thanks! Yeah, I have to get in the attic to all his old clothes, as I want to make it out of his first years clothes!! (well,some of them, anyway!)

New Question...has anyone ordered fabric to make a woven wrap sling out of? If you have, any links for me? As I really want some nice funky fabric to make a sling out of...

Have you checked out your local fabric store? I found that since I needed lots of material, I was better off looking for clearance stuff locally. If you are making a longer wrap (mine is 5m since I'm tall and wanted enough fabric for all different kinds of wraps), it doesn't take long for the price to creep up. This is a good time of year too since lots of the summery stuff (lighter weight, drapey fabrics) are on clearance too :thumbup: I picked up some striped gauze-type woven cotton and it was only $2/m :) Another consideration is that for wraps, I prefer to see the fabric before I buy it since I want to be 100% sure it'd be suitable for a carrier (no pulls in the fabric, good quality, etc.).

Of course, if you don't have a fabric store locally, then I suppose my post is kinda pointless :blush: :dohh:

Yeah I have, but they don't really have anything in the right fabric I like! I am too fussy!

There is one a bit further afield I might pay a visit to when my car is on the road again...

i wouldnt order online i dont think, you want to feel the material and make sure itd be strong enough x

i wouldnt order online i dont think, you want to feel the material and make sure itd be strong enough x

True! I think I'll go to the other craft shop (it's a trek though, but probably worth it) When my car is fixed!

If anyones interested in making crochet longies, ive just put my.pattern up on my blog :) x

it's a great pattern! :thumbup: I've finished the top, just working on the legs now. I love how you staggered the height increase in the back. Some patterns have it as a block of DC's and it looks wrong because of the change in stitch but by having a row of DC's every 3 rows you can't really see it, not with darker yarn anyway.

glad you like it babe, im working on a bigger pattern as we speak so i'l be putting that up on sunday :) x

anyone here make your own, home made and all natural diaper rash cream? I was looking into possibly making my own, preferably recipes that are cloth diaper friendly. Anyone have any tips?

have you tried chamomile tea?
when my LO had nappy rash i just sprayed some on from a little spray bottle and some on the liner too, it kept his bum lovely and fine for nappies.

i dont know about a cream though sorry.

x

Coconut oil :thumbup: You could also make a mix kinda like CJsButter- she has a partial list of the ingredients on her website. For Emma, I made a cream of coconut oil and olive oil- the olive oil keeps the mix a bit more spreadable when the weather is colder too :)

Thanks ladies I will try that. I've heard some very good things about coconut oil.

I also now have plans to custom make nursing necklaces and chainmail jewellry and try to sell them online, then I can upgrade from a sahm to a wahm.

ive just started using chamomile tea in a little spray bottle too, its definitely looking better but not cleared up just yet, they get bad rashes though, warts, open sores and everything, it looks awful, the tea is deffo helping though, i use it as wet wipe solution to clean their bums aswell x

I've been crafty lately and just finished making my diaper bag. Thought I'd share the pictures :)

In the pictures it's not totally finished (strap is only pinned on rather than sewn, but I didn't feel that it was worth re-taking the photos after I finished it).

Front view:
https://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9263/imgp1957.jpg

Back view with zippered pocket unzipped so you can see the lining:
https://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7812/imgp1954f.jpg

Open from the front:
https://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9461/imgp1953o.jpg

Open from the back:
https://img696.imageshack.us/img696/185/imgp1950a.jpg

It has 5 pockets on the outside - 4 velcro closures and the zippered one at the back. Inside there are 7 pockets (elasticated) and two clips for keys or pacifier. The strap is adjustable so I can wear it either on one shoulder or across the body. Finished dimensions are about 18cmx29cmx33cm. The liner is laminated cotton - pain to sew.

hiya! iv fell completely in love with cloth nappies and want to have a go at making my own :)
so i have quite a few Qs lol!
Were do you get patterns from? (pref pocket nappies as thats what seem to work best for us)
What materials are best?
How easy are they to make?
How long do they take?
anything else i should be asking then please answer lol!

i have basic sewing machine skills (only because i rush things so if i try something complicated it usually ends up wrong) so i try to stick to simple things that i cant mess up too bad lol!

Im really looking 4wd to making some of our own nappies! the homemade 1s on here look gorgeous! plus OH has said that if i make velcro close nappies in a funky fabric that he will be converted to cloth too :D:D:D

Were do you get patterns from?
I drew around my favurite fitting nappy, and added a 1/2inch seam allowance, i then fiddled the design to suit me best.

What materials are best?
Personally i love a pretty cotton outter or minky, with a PUL inner and fleece/suedecloth against the skin. Some people dont like cotton fronts as they tend to wick, but iv found a way to stop this happening.

How easy are they to make?

Very, With some practice :winkwink:

How long do they take?
Mine take 45mins from start to finish, but it used to take alot longer when i couldnt get to grips with pinning etc haha...Even quicker if i use my serger.

i have basic sewing machine skills : thats not a problem, take it slow, dont rush and it will work fine

Thankyou :D im going into town next week and shall pick up a load of material :) the more i buy the more likely i am to try again if at first i don't succeed lol!

Thankyou for your help :flower: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->