The first ultrasound is at 6 weeks, right?

trishpalac

Reaction score
Hi All!

I just found out that I'm pregnant with my first! I recently went to see a midwife for a pre-conception visit at a practice I've been going to for a little while now (little did I know, I was already pregnant). The appointment went great and I loved the midwife I saw, Liz. I sent an appointment request through the practice's portal this morning and specifically said that I had seen Liz and she told me to schedule an appointment at 6 weeks for an ultrasound whenever I become pregnant. The person who responded was slightly rude asking me various questions, but I thought nothing of it. Then I received this:

"Trish,

Liz Christy is at our Westerville location on Tuesdays. I have you scheduled with Liza Canowitz on 8/5 at 8:30 am at our Westerville location. At this appointment you will have blood work (that includes some STD testing), intro to pre natals, breast exam, pap smear, it is a consultation (if you have questions please write them down and ask at this appointment), there is no ultrasound at this appointment (that will be at the 2nd appointment with a Doctor). Please bring a photo id and insurance card. Have a good day."

Am I overreacting by being upset over this? Not only is she not trying to accommodate me seeing the midwife that I want to see - she's telling me that I can't do the ultrasound until later and that I'll have to see an OB instead of a midwife? I specifically requested my midwife, Liz, or another midwife for an ultrasound.

Thought? I wanna call this lady and yell at her! haha :growlmad:

No, standard practice is usually a first scan somewhere between 9-12 weeks. Scans earlier than that are for high risk pregnancies or when there is something wrong that leads your OB/Dr to suspect ectopic, molar, blighted ovum, or miscarriage.

I know it seems like a really far ways away but it'll go by quickly!

I'm on the uk, but scans are not routinely done here until 12 weeks. Could you contact Liz directly to clarify?

I'm in canada scans are usually at 12 week's I had one at 8 weeks for dating purposes as I don't have regular cycles .

I'm in the US and 8 weeks has been the typical first visit for my friends and me. You honestly might not even see much at an early 6 week scan even if they do offer it. If you only see the gestational sac, you're just left worrying about whether the pregnancy is viable until your next scan. Another week or so and you're sure to see a heartbeat.

With my first I had an ultrasound at 6 weeks but that was only due to recurrent miscarriages. With this pregnancy I didn't get one until 8 weeks. I think 8 weeks is standard in the US.

I've never heard of a routine ultrasound being done as early as 6 weeks. I'm in the UK, here you don't have your first scan until 12 weeks unless something is wrong, then you can be offered an early scan. I had a scan at 6 weeks, 6 days, that was only because I was bleeding. X

Standard is between 8 and 12 weeks. When you go to schedule your U.S., schedule to see the midwife afterward. There's no reason to be forced to see an ob for a scan

I'm in the US and my first ultrasound was ordered for 10 weeks. At 11 weeks I had a lap appt where they took blood and urine, and then my first prenatal visit was at 12 weeks, where they went over the blood results, etc. I remember being very surprised that the bloodwork was for things like STDs and measles - I had thought it was genetic testing for things like Down's, but that doesn't come until later either, and it's optional.

I will have a 6 week ultrasound but that is b/c I had a number of miscarriages before I got pregnant with my DD and I am 38 so I am high risk.

If you are going to a midwife practice (or a doctor's office w/ multiple doctors) it's common to see whoever is on staff that day. Instead, I choose to go to a doctor who works alone so I always see him. Even offices where you do see the same doctor/midwife every visit, you will deliver with whoever is on staff when you go into labor. Ask about this before you decide to stick with this practice - you can always go elsewhere.

Also know, in the US, midwives are not covered by insurance so you will pay out of pocket when you see them. If you get an ultrasound with a doctor insurance should cover the cost but ask b/c if the order comes from the midwives office insurance may still refuse to pay.

Mine have been around 10-12 weeks for the first ... Sometimes they have early ones if you have had multiple losses

ItsAWonder, all of my midwives with all of my pregnancies have been covered under my insurance? I don't think birthing centers are though

My first ultrasound is booked for 8 weeks (and same with when I was pregnant with DD). I'm from the U.S. Also, regarding midwives & insurance, many are not covered, but sometimes if your Drs office has both Drs and midwives, they will bill you under a doctor's name. My DD was delivered by a midwife & most of my appointments were with a midwife, but my practice has both Drs and midwives to see (and whomever is on call will deliver you - but you can choose if you prefer a dr or midwife to deliver you).

I had my first ultra sound this Monday (5 weeks) and to be honest I wish I had waited, they didnt find anything with me! Not even a sac..but I am told this is very normal...
I have to go back at 8 weeks to see what they can do!

Ps - forgot to say in my original post - if you want The midwife you saw for your preconception appt, call them & tell them that. Worst case, if she's unavailable, you may have to wait longer - then you can choose which is more important to you: being seen sooner, or seeing the midwife you want. GL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->