The Great Big Info Thread

sparkle83

XLTTC: 10 yrs & counting!
Reaction score
I thought it'd be good to try and collate our collective knowledge into one big thread, so if anyone has anything useful to add, please do.

FAQ

What is a miscarriage or stillbirth?

A pregnancy loss after the 20th week in which the baby passes away before birth. (A loss before the 20th week is a miscarriage.)

What are the common causes of m/c?

Hormonal conditions such as PCOS, endo, low progesterone and thyroid issues are a common cause. Genetic issues can also cause m/c. Uterine abnormalities (shape or fibroids for example) make it harder for the embryo to implant and grow. Most of the time, a single m/c can't be explained by an underlying health condition, and it is just where the body detects an issue within the embryo.

What are the chances of this happening again?

It is estimated that 15% of pregnancies do not last to full term, with the majority being very early, around or just after the time AF would be due.
85% of women with one loss will be sucessful in the next pregnancy, 75% after 2 consequetive losses, and 60% after three.

Can I do anything to prevent it?

For the most part, no, it is something that the body does to protect itself. However, if you have a medical condition that increases the risk, you may be able to take medications to help (thyroxine to regulate thyroid issues, metformin in PCOS, aspirin when there are clotting/immune issues, progesterone supplements if low progesterone is an issue. ALWAYS consult your doctor first).
Healthy diet, being at the right weight, avoiding alcohol, smoking, stress and caffiene might mildly help. Also, pelvic rest (no sex or orgasms) is sometimes recommended.
100-500mg of vitamin c per day may also help with preventing miscarriage and early labor. {{thanks calliebaby}}

Will my doctors do any testing?

Some will, some won't. Often unless there are clear other symptoms of an issue (infertility, AF issues, pain), they will say that one or two is fairly normal, and not initiate testing until the third loss.

What happens next time I'm pregnant?

As well as taking any medications you've been recommended (plus your folic acid, of course), you can ask to be referred to the early pregnancy assesment unit, who will usually scan you at 6-8weeks for reassurance. Many private ultrasound clinics will now scan as early as 6 weeks if you are happy to pay privately for the peace of mind.

When can I try again?

Providing everything has gone smoothly, you should have one clear cycle after m/c to settle your hormones and allow your body to recover. This also allows the doctors to more accurately date a subsequent pregnancy.

What is a missed miscarriage?

When an embryo or fetus dies in the womb during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy but does not expel from the uterus. Eventually the pregnancy will expel, but some women choose to undergo a D&C instead of waiting for it to happen. It is usually spotted at an ultrasound scan where there is no heartbeat and the embryo/sac measures behind dates.

What is a blighted ovum?

Where the fertilised egg implants, but does not form into a baby.

What is a molar pregnancy?

In a partial molar pregnancy there are genes from both the father and the mother but an imbalance as there are two sets from the father. In a partial molar pregnancy there can be a foetus visible on an early ultrasound, but it does not usually survive beyond the first 3 months of the pregnancy (triploid)

In a complete molar pregnancy the genes ae just from the father, the mother's genes are somehow lost at conception. Complete molar pregnancies form a mass of rapidly growing cells but do not contain a foetus and can not develop into a baby.

The majority of women who have a molar pregnancy will not need any further treatment after the initial evacuation. However approximately 15% of women who have had a complete molar pregnancy and around 0.5% of those with a partial molar pregnancy will require additional treatment. {{thanks to dan-o}}

Does it ever stop hurting?

Yes and no. For most people, though the pain is still there, it is less sharp, and easier to cope with. Don't be afraid to share your feelings with others, or seek help from a GP or counsellor if you need to.

Why does my partner not care?

Men deal with things differently. They prefer to try not to think of things, and bury their feelings. Many husbands are so concerned with trying to make it easier on us, and support us through it that they don't ever grieve themselves.

I have also heard that 100-500mg of vitamin c per day can also help with preventing miscarriage and early labor.

What is a molar pregnancy?

An abnormal pregnancy in which there is no fetus, only an abnormal mass growth.

Hi hun, I had a partial molar this time last year (diagnosed via pathology) we saw our baby growing on early scans until it eventually died at about 10 weeks.

Here is a brief outline I put together for you:

In a partial molar pregnancy there are genes from both the father and the mother but an imbalance as there are two sets from the father. In a partial molar pregnancy there can be a foetus visible on an early ultrasound, but it does not usually survive beyond the first 3 months of the pregnancy (triploid)

In a complete molar pregnancy the genes ae just from the father, the mother's genes are somehow lost at conception. Complete molar pregnancies form a mass of rapidly growing cells but do not contain a foetus and can not develop into a baby.

The majority of women who have a molar pregnancy will not need any further treatment after the initial evacuation. However approximately 15% of women who have had a complete molar pregnancy and around 0.5% of those with a partial molar pregnancy will require additional treatment.

thanks girls, have added them to the main post :D

My speciality - Folic Acid! Use what you need to:

10% of women don't absorb folic properly. If you are in a high-risk group you should be on a higher dose (UK RDA is just 400micrograms and most prenatals have 800 micrograms).
High risk for Folic deficiency:
Family history or previous pregnancy with neural tube defect (spina bifida, acrania, anencephaly...)
Taking anti-epilepsy meds.
Suffering a digestive illness (Crohns disease, IBS...)
Suffering multiple MCs (could be a folic deficiency).

Green Tea is the arch enemy of Folic Acid!

Neural tube closure is achieved before 26dpo, which is why it's essential to have folic in your system before your BFP. Folic is water-soluble so any you don't use will be excreted - so you can't overdose (unless you're on hospital-prescribed stupid amounts like me!) You can safely take 2mg a day with no ill-effect.

Good info... thanks honey! :hugs: I completely missed my prenatal yesterday and didn't realize until today... felt just awful about but can't go back and change it. I'm hoping 1 day isn't make or break but been kicking myself ever since I realized! Basically, just saying thank you for bringing it to the forefront of my mind more often! You're doing a great thing!

I won't spank you this time, Megg. Do it again tho... ;)

Ooh! Hard to say if that's a promise or a threat! :rofl:

Does anyone take any supplements that they would like to share with eveyone? I am considering trying a few things this cycle. I have been taking prenatal and baby asprin. Going back to take my metformin and considering adding Royal Jelly. Anyone else?

My speciality - Folic Acid! Use what you need to:

10% of women don't absorb folic properly. If you are in a high-risk group you should be on a higher dose (UK RDA is just 400micrograms and most prenatals have 800 micrograms).
High risk for Folic deficiency:
Family history or previous pregnancy with neural tube defect (spina bifida, acrania, anencephaly...)
Taking anti-epilepsy meds.
Suffering a digestive illness (Crohns disease, IBS...)
Suffering multiple MCs (could be a folic deficiency).

Green Tea is the arch enemy of Folic Acid!

Neural tube closure is achieved before 26dpo, which is why it's essential to have folic in your system before your BFP. Folic is water-soluble so any you don't use will be excreted - so you can't overdose (unless you're on hospital-prescribed stupid amounts like me!) You can safely take 2mg a day with no ill-effect.

I drank Green tea (trying to lose weight) before I realised I was pregnant, could this be why the baby stopped growing at 6 weeks...???

Most of the time, when a loss happens as early as 6 weeks it's usually just some sort of anomaly without any good cause that would have made the embryo non-viable. There's really no way to know what happens when it happens so early. I don't think I'd necessarily peg the green tea as the culprit. :hugs:

Phew... I thought I had done something really wrong...

My Green tea is now in the bin, bring on ovulation xxx

Sorry Chimpette I didn't mean to panic you love! Get on the fruit infusions instead, they're just fine :thuumbup: xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->