The Great Debate - Aplix vs Snaps

DolceBella

Mum of 2 Gingers!!
Reaction score
Hey ladies!

I'm due Christmas with DD#3 and will use CD a bit more religiously than I have in the past. As of now, my stash is getting a bit old and worn. I have mostly thirsties AIOs, thirsties fitted with covers, some rumparooz, fuzzibunz, and maybe a couple applecheeks.

For this LO, I'm thinking of switching to GMD prefolds with covers. Has anyone had success with these? I'll probably need to buy new covers and I just can't decide between aplix or snaps. I've seen good feedback about the bummis covers. I've never used snaps before, but a lot of people really like them. I'm just nervous because I make tiny skinny babies. I'm worried about getting a good seal around the legs if i don't use aplix. I could also just use aplix in the newborn phase, then switch later if need be, since the diapers are sized and not AIO.

Also, the bummis can come with microfiber or bamboo inserts? I have lots of microfiber already, and I agree that they can get stinky. Does bamboo do this too? I'll buy some bamboo if it's better. Otherwise I'll just save my money and use the microfiber I already have.

Last question, which prefold is better..... White, unbleached, or organic? Sorry for all the questions!

I much prefer aplix myself. I never get the fit as perfect as I like with snaps. I have covers that are basically the same thing as bummis super whisper wraps (I think...can't recall the name right this minute.). They are Real Nappy brand anyway and I know they used to outsource their covers from bummis. I do have some old ones labeled as bummis that need some new aplix but apart from that, even the very old ones are still awesome.

I MUCH prefer bamboo to microfibre. Feels better, smells better, works better for a longer time.

As for prefolds, not sure? I have prefolds that say "made to oeko-tex standards" which I think means organic or something along those lines. They are very white. They are the standard used for baby/toddler textiles. I suppose the less chemicals and things done to it the better.

I use pretty much what you are talking about. I have used GMD prefolds since birth- we are on mediums now, at 16 months. In the early days I used Bummis Super Whisper wraps with aplix and liked them at the time because the fit was very adjustable. However as time went on, I found the aplix sort of tore them up a bit in the wash even though I used the laundry tabs religiously, and I had a very hard time avoiding stink in the leg elastic areas. Also, when my LO started to sit up, I disliked the way the Aplix dug into her belly.

So, after the newborn and small sizes, I went in search of a new solution. I tried a few kinds and settled on a favorite, Blueberry coveralls (not the Blueberry Capri that they sell at GMD) with snaps. I had tried some other snap covers and not got on well with them before, but the big difference with these is the two rows of snaps. It works much better when the tab is snapped at the top and bottom instead of just in the middle. I absolutely love them. The gusseted legs are great, they don't get torn up in the wash, they fit for a long time, etc. I currently use them with GMD red edge medium prefolds in unbleached. I prefer the unbleached as any shadow staining is totally invisible on them. Organic would be the same, but I thought I saw somewhere that they were a teeny bit less absorbent. My LO has been wearing these prefolds trifolded in Blueberry coveralls since she was 5 months old (16 months old now) and they look like new- well better, as they're puffy and quilted up now. Love these diapers!

Anyway- if I was going to do it all again I would do the same except I'd go for Blueberry mini coveralls for the newborn/small size phase and would get unbleached or organic diapers in the small sizes (I bought white in newborn and small this time before I figured that out). Oh, and the two sided wipes that they sell at GMD are amazing. Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->