• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The most unusual/uncommon boys' names you've heard?

I have a friend who named her son Talon. Not my cup of tea, but she liked it.

Peregrine falcons are so cool!

Here are some more, though some are more common than others...
Atticus
Perry
Sterling
Emerson
Kale
Ephraim
Cassius
Cecil
August
Basil
Laurence
Malcolm
Everett

Sorry to be commenting so much, but I really love uncommon names :D

I have a friend who named her son Talon. Not my cup of tea, but she liked it.

Peregrine falcons are so cool!

Here are some more, though some are more common than others...
Atticus
Perry
Sterling
Emerson
Kale
Ephraim
Cassius
Cecil
August
Basil
Laurence
Malcolm
Everett

Sorry to be commenting so much, but I really love uncommon names :D

Don't be silly, comment away!! And the more ideas the better :flower:

Well then, Phoenix must be on it lol. But you're looking for something unheard of before. Gotta put my thinking hat on. Hmmm....

I also like Zev which means wolf. Very unusual, here anyway.

Wait, did you want names that has to do with birds?

Not necessarily, but if you have any ideas I'll consider them. So far I know of Talon, Phoenix, Wren, Raven, Brennan (think means raven), Sparrow (not keen on), Falcon (not keen), can't think of what else.....

Wait, did you want names that has to do with birds?

Not necessarily, but if you have any ideas I'll consider them. So far I know of Talon, Phoenix, Wren, Raven, Brennan (think means raven), Sparrow (not keen on), Falcon (not keen), can't think of what else.....

Went on a search and here are some "birdie" names:

Argus (Great Argus, they're in SE Asia)
Gannet (Northern Gannet, relative of pelican)
Osprey (a bird of prey, aka: sea hawk/fish hawk/fish eagle)
Crane
Dunlin (a wader bird, I don't know what a wader bird is, but I'm sure you'd know)
Macaw (I'm sure you know this bird)
Trogon
Wryneck (Eurasian wryneck, a type of woodpecker)
Jacamar (another kind of wp)
Vireo
Apalis (Bar-throated Apalis, a type of Cisticola)
Cardinal

Whew! I went through a long list of birds. Don't know what you think. :shrug:

Wow, thanks for that! There's a couple there with a nice ring to them. I've just been sat here in tears though talking to DH about names. He's so closed minded and so boring when it comes to names!! My inner hippy can't deal with it, lol.
The most unusual names he'll consider are Kai and Flynn. I used to like Flynn, but now it'd prob be about 50th on my list, and Kai I did seriously consider until a friend named her baby that last week. I'm so depressed over this. Thanks for your input though, I really appreciate it, xx

If we're having a boy he will be Deacon.

Its definitely not a common name here, not sure about in Oz though?

x

May be repeating some here as cannot remember all that have gone before.

Odin
Fabien
Asher
Lorcan
Colby
Xavier
Blaise
Webster
Tate
Colton
Sholto
Virgil
Edison
Ellis
Orion
Franklin
Lincoln
Cillian
Jude
Judd
Drake
Erskine (know a baby named this recently, but not keen myself)
Jensen
Fletcher
Flynn
Tudor
Ioan
Brady
Hubert
Digby
Ezra
Storm

Jamin is probably the strangest one that I've heard for a boy (minus Book of Mormon names like Ammon, Nephi, and Mahonri, which I assume you're not interested in). It's the Hebrew word for "right hand." The much-more-common Benjamin means "son of my right hand." The guy I met pronounced it JAY-men.

I like unusual names for boys myself. As naming trends go, boys see less variation, more overlap, and more usage of common names because it's expected that they will keep their distinctive last name, whereas parents usually put a little more effort into trying to give girls more unusual first names. But in my case, names like Chris, John, Steven, Matthew, Adam, and Alex just don't cut it.

These names have all been on the list for me and/or my husband at some point:

Alastair (this is a Scottish form of Alexander)
Cecil
Serge
Constantine (the emperor of Rome who made Christianity legal)
Theodosius (the emperor of Rome who made Christianity the state religion, "Theo" for short)
Azrael (Arabic, "God is my help")
Devlin
Bruce (Not that exotic, but not common at all.)
Dai (pronounced "Dye"; Hebrew, "dear one")

My cousin is named Zane, I just love that name!!

Wow, thanks for that! There's a couple there with a nice ring to them. I've just been sat here in tears though talking to DH about names. He's so closed minded and so boring when it comes to names!! My inner hippy can't deal with it, lol.
The most unusual names he'll consider are Kai and Flynn. I used to like Flynn, but now it'd prob be about 50th on my list, and Kai I did seriously consider until a friend named her baby that last week. I'm so depressed over this. Thanks for your input though, I really appreciate it, xx

:haha: I couldn't help but laugh at the bolded part lol. I totally know what you mean. OH and I are total opposites too; we started deciding on names since her gender scan when I was pregnant. We couldn't agree all the way towards the end of pregnancy :wacko: Like you, I wanted something unique/uncommon, definitely something NOT popular at all. Finally, though, we settled on Zoey: cute, spunky, fun-sounding, and uncommon in my area for sure. But unfortunately, I've been more Zoey's out there now because of the rising star Zooey Deschanel and Zoe Saldana. Grr!!! :dohh:

My cousin is named Zane, I just love that name!!

Yes my DH even suggested that one himself (can't believe he's actually thought outside the box for once). Can I ask what nicknames your cousin gets? Anything you can think of? Just with me being Australian we always nn people and Zane's a hard one.

:haha: I couldn't help but laugh at the bolded part lol. I totally know what you mean. OH and I are total opposites too; we started deciding on names since her gender scan when I was pregnant. We couldn't agree all the way towards the end of pregnancy :wacko: Like you, I wanted something unique/uncommon, definitely something NOT popular at all. Finally, though, we settled on Zoey: cute, spunky, fun-sounding, and uncommon in my area for sure. But unfortunately, I've been more Zoey's out there now because of the rising star Zooey Deschanel and Zoe Saldana. Grr!!! :dohh:

Well like I said he'll give me Kai. I'm now pushing for Kaya and have asked him to compromise. It's pronounced Kai/Kye-yah. I've only ever known two males with the name. One was a customer in an Irish pub I used to work in and he was insanely good looking. A colleague and I used to call him "the spunk". He was very quiet with dark features and a real hippy/artist. The other one I knew of went to school with my daughter. I think some people might assume it's a girly name, I don't know. I'm just asking DH to consider as it'll most likely get shortened to Kai most of the time anyway. It's Native American/Hopi and means wise little one. Getting back on topic though when you were talking about Zoey becoming more popular, that's what I'm scared of with straight out Kai. A friend even had a baby last week and called it Kai. I don't see her much, but I want something that's all mine.

Well like I said he'll give me Kai. I'm now pushing for Kaya and have asked him to compromise. It's pronounced Kai/Kye-yah. I've only ever known two males with the name. One was a customer in an Irish pub I used to work in and he was insanely good looking. A colleague and I used to call him "the spunk". He was very quiet with dark features and a real hippy/artist. The other one I knew of went to school with my daughter. I think some people might assume it's a girly name, I don't know. I'm just asking DH to consider as it'll most likely get shortened to Kai most of the time anyway. It's Native American/Hopi and means wise little one. Getting back on topic though when you were talking about Zoey becoming more popular, that's what I'm scared of with straight out Kai. A friend even had a baby last week and called it Kai. I don't see her much, but I want something that's all mine.

I understand. I'm disappointed my lo's name is kind of trendy. I guess I can live with that. Nothing I can do about it. Plus, I kind of don't regret it because she fits her name perfectly and she carries that attitude of her name's personality. She is quite a spunky lil kid.

I think there are soooo many options to choose from. Look towards other countries' names. How else can I help you?

I don't know, I've been looking at foreign names too. I really feel like I've exhausted the search :cry:

Saber
Taris
Duran
Brett/Bretton
Ambrose
Mosely
Sucre
Guy
Egypt
Gabriel/Gabe
Aston
Romeo