The name Eli has been taken :(

DissySunshine

Reaction score
We are finding out what we are having next Tuesday. I feel like it will be a boy, and we were determined to have the name be Eli. However, my close cousin that is due 5 weeks before me has decided to name her (definite) boy either Eli or Jaice. So it's back to the drawing board, for now.

Help me with some names that are kind of like Eli? We don't necessarily want it to be biblical (so nothing like Abraham).

Names that we have also considered: Adrian, Rhys, Ira, Zain
Names that have been taken that are in the same name family: Noah, Levi, Liam, Caleb, Jacob, Lucas, Ian

Thank you! :flower:

Whoops, Ian was taken too :dohh: We come from a huge (vaguely) Catholic family and we constantly see everyone.

Elijah was nms, and I wouldn't want to use it since I would shorten it to Eli anyway! I love Isaiah but always have trouble spelling it haha!

Ellis, Eric, Marcus, Aaron, Arlo, Luca, Malachi (or maybe that one is too biblical)

Malachi is way too old school for me! I do like Marcus, though.

Elias. Has "Eli" at the start but is short enough to not need to be shortened. And if people do when he's older.. well, that's out of your hands ;)

Ha, my plan was to name him Eli but then call him Elias. Kind of like a backward nickname? But just like with Elijah, I would still call him Eli which would cause problems in my family.

Another Question: Do most of you consider Adrian to be M or F? My sister thinks it's too feminine for a boy.

Hhmm... Well Adrian is def a unisex name. It does sound feminine to me... but works for a boy as well.

I still think you should talk to your cousin and explain Eli was your name choice. Maybe she'll be understanding and go with Jaice, especially of she's on the fence anyway. :flower:

My close cousin is also due 2 weeks before me. I'm just so thankful that we have complete opposite tastes in names! I feel for you...

What about Ezra, Alec, or Alan?

Adrian is definitely a boys name: it's the latinized form of Adrianus/Hadrianus ... think Roman Emperor Hadrian. Throughout history it's been the name of male saints, popes, and various male historical figures. The female version would be Adriana. Currently the male name Adrian is a bit metro, rather like the name Julian, but not girly.

There may be a few people who have named girls Adrian... but it'd be the same as naming a girl Aidan, Julian, or Sebastian... kind of weird.

Adrian is NOT unisex! It's a man's name. My father was an Adrian. The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole. Countless famous MALE Adrians!

Thanks ladies, that's what I've been trying to tell her! She knew a few "Adrienne"s in her life, so that's what she's basing it off of.

We really like the name Ezra, ElOrance, and it's been put on our list! Allan is the middle name as my dad and DH's middle names are Alan and Allan.

Right now we're leaning toward Ira! DH really likes 3 letter names apparently, I had no idea until pitching names at him. It and Eli are about the only ones not used in our family :haha:

Missy, I do plan on talking to her IF it does end up being a boy. I just wanted to feel better about not "stealing" her name if it should happen!

I've never known anyone named Adrian, actually. :shrug:

The only time I have ever heard the name was from the Rocky Movies - his wife is named Adrian.

I might be biased in my love for the name, but what about Leo?

You know, I never thought about Leo. Mostly because when I do I think "Leonardo", even though with Eli I never thought "Elijah". I like it, but unfortunately our last name starts with an L and it would feel a little too L heavy "Leo Allan L---" though typing it out it doesn't look so bad lol!
Also, your son is adorable.

What about Ezra, Alec, or Alan?

Adrian is definitely a boys name: it's the latinized form of Adrianus/Hadrianus ... think Roman Emperor Hadrian. Throughout history it's been the name of male saints, popes, and various male historical figures. The female version would be Adriana. Currently the male name Adrian is a bit metro, rather like the name Julian, but not girly.

There may be a few people who have named girls Adrian... but it'd be the same as naming a girl Aidan, Julian, or Sebastian... kind of weird.

My Dad's Adrian and my uncle is Julian... they are not very metro ;) So this really cracked me up!!!

OP - I do think Adrian is a boy's name!!! xx

Simon
Miles
Josiah

a few long "i" names that come to mind...

Ira's neat! and Adrian's def. a boy name, IMO. Elias sounds really unique too

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->