The Princess Boy

Sarahkka

Mama to Two Fine Boys!
Reaction score
I know that this video clip is over ten minutes, but I think it is such an incredible example of acceptance and unconditional family support that I hope everyone can find the time to watch it.

For those who don't have time, I'll summarize:
This little boy loves sparkly pretty things and dressing up in princess clothes. He's five and has been like this for a few years. Rather than discourage him or jump to any conclusions that this means that he is gay or a transvestite (not that they would mind if he was), his family simply accepts and supports that he loves this stuff and have tried to help others find this acceptance as well. His mother wrote a book called "My Princess Boy" and works with his school to make sure that her son is supported.
A heartwarming change to the recent stories of gay teens who are so bullied that they commit suicide, I think.

If this was your little boy, do you think you'd have the same reaction? Would the rest of your family?
I'm pretty sure that mine would.
I'd love everyone's thoughts on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bdwjHfiLXE

I know that me and B would be fine with it. I am a total weirdo anyways :rofl: and always dressed weird at school, as did my older brother. (He would wear giant Mickey Mouse gloves to school :lol:) I always picture H going to school in full Lady Gaga-style dress :haha:

I don't know how the extended family would react, but if they don't like it, I have no problem getting rid of them and their opinions. :)

I love kids and how open they feel they can be and how creative and not...suppressed. I love how they are able to be who they are meant to be...naturally. I would hate to box in Helena.

I feel like kids really wouldn't care how another fellow kid wanted to dress or act gender wise, it's the adults.

I completely agree, BB.
It's often the adults' reaction to it that tips the kids off that there is something different going on to begin with.
Simon loves putting on sparkly beads and necklaces along with his various animal costumes and parading around.
There is no way that I would ever make him feel that he was doing something deviant or wrong by wanting to dress in something that we adults perceive as feminine.

Ace! He looks fab in the yellow dress in that photo. I'd certainly like to think I'd be fine about it too. It's good that the school have taken steps to support him. And I agree BB it's totally the adults that have these notions and when kids do they are invariably perpetuating their parents' prejudices not their own independent thought. We are so conditioned.

Byron also loves wearing beds and puts allsorts on as a necklace or bracelet. But DH wears beads too. We're pretty middle ground in our house with DH definitely more feminine than your average man (sensitive, wears more unusual clothes, long hair etc) and I am more masculine than the your average woman too.

I'm sure my family would be fine with anything our children wanted to do. Not so sure about DH's. DH has pointed out that the general lack of actually seeing his family and them bothering to ask about anything would mean they might not even have a clue! I think they'd be weird if they did know. MIL has never liked me and I'm pretty certain it's because I'm different from her (like jazz, don't like being pissed, scientific, critically consider things rather than expressing opinions I read in the paper...). But she's kind of unpredictable so I'm not sure. FIL would probably be un-vocal about it but quietly think it super weird. For example he and his wife have never expressed anything remotely racist but I suspect they are after they had a slightly odd response to my little SIL bringing home a book about some religion or other (not Christianity) from primary school. They didn't see the need for educating about that sort of thing. :shrug:

I would hope that I could be as accepting and open. I don't mind when E wears sparkly necklaces etc at daycare but for some reason ponytails drive me crazy (ALL the kids get them, once one girl has her hair done they all line up for them). He's come home with them a few times and I attempt to hide my dislike for this, funny thing is, is that last time he took it out himself AT daycare and had us fix his hair once he got home (it had a funny bump on top from the "pony").

I don't know if he could just feel the reaction that I've had to the hair style or if it was totally his own choice but I really do hope and pray that I am able to overcome some of my.... dare I say "imbred"... opinions.

I would never say that I'm a judger of others, but for some reason when it was MY child, my reasonable, unjudging ways went out the window and I could hear a lot of the way I was raised in my head.

But like I said, I will always endeaver to be a better person, more open and more excepting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->