The pronunciation of Micah

sambam

Mummy of 2 princesses!
Reaction score
As we were looking at baby names online the other night, we seen Micah, and both said at the same time, I really like that. Only thing is my oh pronounces it as my-cah whereas I pronounce it me-cah. I have only ever heard it as me-cah. But he was saying there is a football player my-cah ...
I personally prefer it the way I have known it, he likes it too, what way would you say it? do you think there is anything wrong with the way I would pronounce it? I have looked up online and it seems quite mixed.

My-ka
or
Mike-a

it an I so creates a My sound no idea where people get the E sound from

My-ka
I've known 4 people named Micah all pronouced it that way.

Would definitely pronounce it my-ka

I would say Mika though would be pronounced me-ka but maybe that's because of the pop singer that I would pronounce it that way

I've only ever heard it as Mike-a. If you prefer your pronunciation I would choose a different spelling.

Meeka
Meeca
Mika
Mica
?

I would say mee-ka but again that might be because of the singer xx

I've only heard it pronounced a mee-cah and would assume that's how it was said if I read it, like Misha, Michelle etc Totally up to you how you want to pronounce it.

Mainly heard it as Myka.

Never heard it as Meecah until I saw Paranormal Activity.

My-cah. Never heard it pronounced as meecah. I prefer the my-cah pronunciation.

Btw, are you thinking boy or girl here? Because personally, although it is considered unisex now with My-cah I would immediately think boy but Me-cah would be a girl in my mind.

Micah is a biblial name and it is officially pronounced My-cah because in biblical times everything was said phonetically so as the second letter is an 'i' you get the 'my' sound.

but with modern times and different languages/accents etc things get changed that is how the 'me' sound would have come about.

personally if you prefer the 'me' way of saying it i would change the spelling to suit as i know most will pronounce it my'cah.

I love this beautiful biblical name

I would pronounce it ma-Kai oh my-cah

My son is called Micah, it's an old testament name pronounced "My-kuh" and yes there's a footballer for England called Micah Richards. Obviously I love the name, people often ask me how it's pronounced though and he's been called Mika a few times. If you want it prononuced Me-kuh then I'd spell it Mika personally.. like the singer. Xx

I'd pronounce it Misha. My sisters name is Mica and pronounced Misha (named after Mica Paris). Xx

If I were to see the name I'd pronounce it My-cah as many others have said. There's nothing wrong with either pronuciation; that would just be my first instinct. So if you do decide to pronounce it Me-cah, you and/or your child may have to correct people with the proper way to say it. I've only ever heard it pronounced Me-cah when it's spelled like Mika (there's an American actress who's name is like this). But it's really up to how you and your DH would like to say it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->