The Running Thread

Avalanche

Reaction score
Would anyone like to be my running buddy?

I am recovering from injury, so will be on the go slow but my buddy doesn't have to have the same fitness level as me, or the same goals.

Basically I would like someone (or several people!) share motivation and tips with :)

So anyone welcome, beginner through to marathon runners.

Id love to if i had a treadmill, i would do an hour an night & loved it!

I'm in! :) I do 3 days a week for the first month then 4 days the next (1 is intervals, 1 is long run 50-60 min). Actually, it's cardio more than anything, so I throw in the rower or elliptical too. I'm doing the same cardio fitness prep exam I did for the police fitness tests.

Woooo some people replied! :lol:

I have an appointment with the docs on friday to get a referral to a podiatrist to get some prescription in soles as I keep getting shin splits. :(

So I'll hopefully be starting soon. I'd like to start with 5 miles a week, whether than be 5 miles at once, 1 mile a day, etc. And go from there.

Have you got the Nike+ app? It's brilliant for running.

Anyone else want to join in?

Me!

I used the couch to 5k programme a couple of years ago before I took part in the Race For Life, but when I got pregnant I stopped running (well, exercising at all. I think my bike has probably rusted away to nothing in the shed :dohh:)

LO slept through the night for the first time last night, so I'm hoping that if it continues, I'll be able to go out for a run in the evenings after she goes to bed. It'll be a bit sporadic though as OH works a couple of random late shifts each week.

So basically I'm a complete newbie again! I'm not sure when I'll be able to start, as it depends on how LOs sleeping goes, and OH is away from 16-23 Jan so definitely won't be before then.

Here's a C25k plan:
https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k-plan.aspx

Will you be doing the C25K plan then hun? I can really recommend it too, it's what got me running :)

It'd be nice to turn this into a big running thread. Pics of our favourite runs, miles covered each week, encourage each other, kit chat, injury advice, helping each other with programs, etc.

:)

I'm doing the cardio program part of our police fitness test (PARE) training
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting-recrutement/documents/pare-tape/pare-tape-12W-eng.pdf

It's on page 15

Aliss, I can't get the link to work.

I don't know whether to follow a program or not, as I am so prone to injury. I tried getting specially measured trainers from a running shop and I still got shin splints. I still have bruising on my shin 3 months later :(

Does this work?
https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting-recrutement/htm-form/pare-tape-12W-eng.htm

Yeah I'll be doing the c25k plan, I reckon I could probably only run for 5 mins before collapsing these days, and the longest I've ever run in one go before is 40 mins - I'm not very good at it :haha:

Aliss - link won't work for me either x

Nope, still won't work for me. :nope:

CocoaOne, when are you starting? :)

Well ugh that sucks

Anyways I run 3x a week, 65-75% HR for 15min, then next week 16, then 18 min, etc. eventually working up to 2x per week 75-85% HR @ 25 min, 1 interval workout, and 1 hour at 60-70% (ie hiking) on week 12.

Maybe the link is banned from you guys so London metro bobbies don't steal our workouts

I'll probably start week beginning 24th, but like all things - that depends on LO! She slept well again last night, and hasn't had any night feeds for 3 nights now, so I'm quietly confident that I can start leaving the house in the evenings now!

aliss - that might be it! Do you go to the gym to exercise (I saw you lift weights in your other thread), or do you do it all from home?

I'll probably start week beginning 24th, but like all things - that depends on LO! She slept well again last night, and hasn't had any night feeds for 3 nights now, so I'm quietly confident that I can start leaving the house in the evenings now!

aliss - that might be it! Do you go to the gym to exercise (I saw you lift weights in your other thread), or do you do it all from home?

I've been in the gym since November (it has a really great daycare). I normally do lift at home (we have an amazing squat rack, barbells, plates etc) but we put our condo up for sale so needed to make room (that + baby is crazy) lol. I have the rower at home.

I don't blame you for waiting with the night wakings, on nights where he did his 8-10x wakings, no way I could have done it! It was awful!! Last night he slept 10pm-5am straight (!!!), so I'm starting to recover nicely

2 miles in 16 min! :sleep: And that was after doing a huge full body workout with 105lbs squats (3x6) so I'm just zonked out for the day...

I'm starting c25k tonight :eek: I'm very unfit I'll prob have a coronary or need o2 :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->