The schools issue

MrsBandEgglet

Mummy to 3, expecting #4
Reaction score
I know it's a while off yet but we are hoping we can be moved before Arf starts school but if not we may find ourselves in a bit of a predicament :wacko:
The school we are most likely to be offered in our catchment is not great to say the least and I will try everything in my power for my kids to not go to this school. I know where I want them to go and it's a very good school with an outstanding offsted report and the only bad comments I've consistently heard about it is that it's strict. Strict suits me so I don't see this as a problem. However it's not in our 'catchment' but it's only about another ten minute walk, if that, from the school we would be offered. However, my neighbour said her girls were offered this school but as they're catholic they didn't go. So as we are right next door I would hope they would offer it to us too, but what if they don't?

As I said, we have to move but I don't really want to move to that area because really it's not where I want to live. I don't understand this school catchment system but it's really getting me down a bit because I'm worried we may not have much choice.

What's it like where you are and what's your understanding of the way the system works? :flower: Have posted this in toddler section aswell.

It all depends on the admissions policy of the schools in question. You can request to see these and appeal if you are turned down. However, as someone who has sat on the 'school side' of over five hundred appeals I can tell you, if the school is oversubscribed and you are not offered a place you will only really stand a chance of admission on social, medical or procedural error grounds.

You may be offered a waiting list place and can transfer within an academic year but your first step is to look at the admissions policy.

Hth

Eta admission policy often on web site and schools within same lea often have same admission policy. This is affected by status such as Academy, Faith school etc but they are all requested to
Publish/make freely available.

The school up the road from me, about a 5 min walk, the catchment for it stops at the railings at the top of my close. Its pathetic, the next school is about a 30 minute walk, and awful. Im having to move when LO goes to school as im so against him going their. Maybe you could ring the school and ask? x

schools reputations can go up and down with each year. When I applied for the school the catchment area was larger because the schools reputation was not as well known. So we at half a mile from the school and got it. A couple of years later, more people that could afford to moved closer to the school, or there were those that just cheekily rented flats near the school got places so that put people further away out of catchment. So the more people in that are near the school the less chance there will be for those further to get it. So depending on the ages of your neighbours children, it will really depend on the year they applied and may not automatically mean you will get in.

I also find that people often don't get the school they choose and put their names on lists. Then they either move completely out of the area or find they actually like the school they are offered, or children already at the school move out of the area. So the list gets shorter, or those at the bottom are near the top and sometimes by the end of Reception-beginning of Year One children can get a place.

Have you read the Ofsted reports for both schools? Ofsted in my experience is much more reliable than parents opinions, the children's behaviour or local gossip. In a couple of years things could have changed completely as well, one of our locals only became outstanding last year and now suddenly all the parents are on it's bandwagon!! Two years ago people were pulling their children out and waiting for places at another school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->