The show Intervention really pisses me off!

Eve

Reaction score
I have dealt with addiction myself (smoking) and my ex was an addict to pain medication, which resulted in him doing needles etc.. (after we split). He was in and out of jail for a few years, has many charges and has now been on methadone for a few years which he considers himself *clean*

I watch it and want to seriously kick them in the face!

No real point to this post, the show came on and I am already pissed and think I should change the channel.

I have no sympathy!

:growlmad:

Yeah, give your crack head son money to buy more drugs.. that will solve the problem!

I've never watched the show, but my friend's sister struggled with drugs most of her life. She finally got clean in jail and was on methadone for 6 years and had a baby and everything and just now fell off the wagon and is on the run... her poor son was behind developmentally because she was not doing a good job parenting due to her drug issues. So sad.

Wait, so what are you mad at? The drug addicts or the intervenionists?
I get sad when I watch it, especially the younger kids who had a lot of trauma happen to them. : (

I've never watched the show, but my friend's sister struggled with drugs most of her life. She finally got clean in jail and was on methadone for 6 years and had a baby and everything and just now fell off the wagon and is on the run... her poor son was behind developmentally because she was not doing a good job parenting due to her drug issues. So sad.

That is a shame... I hate to see the poor children suffer for their parents mistakes :cry:

I get sad when I watch it, especially the younger kids who had a lot of trauma happen to them. : (

Both! I pisses me off when parents do it, they have kids but think so little of them and end up addicts, and then you have the family members who give them money for drugs to keep them happy! I know not all situations are like that, but ugh, it really bothers me!

I know someone who was doing hard drugs while pregnant, and then went on methadone and without any questions took her baby home!!!!!!! If you are doing stuff like that, you shouldn't have your children until you can show you are clean, and I don't mean just on methadone, I mean REALLY clean.

Methadone is worst than other drugs. It's HORRIBLE.

Anyways, I don't get what you are mad at? lol

The people on the show, not the show itself?

LOL Yes, the people on the show... It really bothers me, and yes, maybe going public and making shows might help some people, but I don't know...

Methadone is terrible! I know people who have been on it for years and years and years! It's disgusting IMO, they are just replacing one drug with another! Not actually solving the problems!

It is because the drug companies make big profits by having people addicted to methadone.

There is a drug called Buprenorphine that can "cure" people from opiate addictions, but it is not a long term thing like methadone, therefore, no profit to be made.

I guess that is more for another debate ;) Corporate America keeping the people down.

Js father is on it and has been for years... so have most on it, which is just terrible.

Almost the whole reserve he is from is on methadone. They dont offer help, just give them the methadone!

Both! I pisses me off when parents do it, they have kids but think so little of them and end up addicts, and then you have the family members who give them money for drugs to keep them happy! I know not all situations are like that, but ugh, it really bothers me!

I know someone who was doing hard drugs while pregnant, and then went on methadone and without any questions took her baby home!!!!!!! If you are doing stuff like that, you shouldn't have your children until you can show you are clean, and I don't mean just on methadone, I mean REALLY clean.

I understand what you mean.
My brother is meth addict and my grandma helps him still.
He's homeless and she buys him food, a watch, a TENT, gives him a few dollar here and there and gives him rides to places.
She's definitely enabling him, but she feels he has no one to take care of him or to help him. She says she just can't abandon him.
(my brother and I were both abandoned by our parents and I think she feels guilty or something)
she understands completely she's enabling him but she won't stop.
I just hope my stupid brother doesn't take advantage of her too much. : (
She honestly needs to go to a counseling center for parents and relatives of drug addicts. She just doesn't understand the drugs or how an addict works. I think that's the problem with a LOT of people who enable.

And methadone is STUPID, both my mother and step-dad were on that for years. it's just legal heroin. :dohh:

I know what you mean. I had a cousin who was addicted to a few different drugs for a time and his life really got messed up. After several attemts to get him to quit, advice that was given to them through counselors and things nothing worked. Then they actually fell upon a previous druggy at their church who had cleaned up his life and he gave the best advice they ever got. Which was to kick him out of the house and let him live on the streets for a bit. Let him see the path he is headed on. So they did so and it scared him shitless basically. he came running back home wanting to clean up only a week later.

This show pisses me off the most because often times the tactics that they go through don't work. And it shows if you watch the updated episodes of previous shows. And the fact that their family and friends openly give them them the money to go satisfy their addictions. It's disgusting. I tried watching a couple of episodes and just couln't do it cause all they did was piss me off as to how stupid not only the addicts were being but the supporters as well.

Yeah, it really irritates me when the family sits there and gives them money, knowing it's for drugs and then complains about them doing it!

I'm on slow-release morphine (for a medical condition...not an addiction) and my OB wants me to go on methadone before he'll help me TTC. I honestly don't understand WHY. He says methadone is easier to monitor and control than morphine...but couldn't explain HOW. They're both opiates, and they're both addictive...

I don't like the show either. It upsets me seeing people's pain and suffering being put on national television. Not going to lie, I have watched it but I don't get the point of the show.

Is it supposed to inspire people to get help? It could be because I am infrequent in watching it but the shows I watch always has the recap afterwards about how they relapsed and are worse off than before. :nope:

Or raise awareness so more people donate money to addiction services? Not trying to goad, just a genuine question. :flower:

I agree Tiff...I VERY RARELY see a positive outcome after the show, and I DO watch a lot of them. I find it extremely fascinating in a morbid curiosity kind of way...but I don't know what exactly they're trying to accomplish either...other than ratings?

Tragedy sells.

I think the show *can* be inspiring, as people who you think there is no chance, do make it. But, then there is alot that don't...and I think that is educational. I hope some teens watch it, so they can see how one small slip can literally ruin your life. My SIL is a heroine addict. She is on methadone. I think it's funny how everyone says she is 'clean'. She was visiting me, and she had to go and get her methadone, and then she passed out on the living room floor for hours. She looked like a druggy. I don't get it! But...at the same time, before that, she was on the streets, using dirty needles (she is HIV positive) and hooking for cash. So, I suppose her lifestyle got better. She now has a job. But, I think these people need some serious counselling. I think people just can't deal with life. They have no coping skills. You can see that on the show. They just can't handle anything. It's sad. I am not angry with the show, or the people...just the drugs. I think it's an eye-opener for many who are enablers in their own lives, and maybe not realize it. They see the show and hear what they are doing is actually not helping, and hopefully that will inspire them to get help too.

I make my step-daughters watch it...and Dr.Phil if there is an episode about teen bullying or teen pregnancy or drugs or anything else that I think they should know about.

JASMAK - Your story about your SIL being on methadone and passing out just makes me THAT MUCH MORE determined NOT to take it. I'm on a very low dose of time-release morphine to manage severe pain...and i'd rather stay on that than switch to a different drug that i've heard horror stories about. I don't know...

Of course ideally, i'd like to get rid of the meds altogether...but for now, it's not possible. :( I have an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon though...so i'm holding out hope that they can do surgery and I can get off this crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->