The sleep position thing...

Sara

Mum to Indi and WTO!
Reaction score
So after 4 months they say you shouldn't be sleeping on your back because the size of the uterus can block off blood and oxygen flow to the baby.

I'm normally a stomach sleeper but that's been getting pretty uncomfortable lately, so I've been sleeping on my sides. But I can't sleep like that anymore! Literally!
My sides and neck are aching when I wake up and where the hell am I supposed to put the arm I'm sleeping on?!
I'm finding myself turning on to my back for some relief and struggling to stay awake for long enough to turn back over!
Tried the pillows behind back and between legs too, just get hot & bothered!

It seems to be a bit of a myth at the moment, because some people say it's true and others vice versa? I spoke to my mum about it and she said that through all her 5 pregnancies she slept in any way that was comfortable!

Help!!!

I just did a bit of googling and this is what babycentre has to say

During the second half of pregnancy, avoid sleeping on your back, a position that puts the full weight of your uterus on your spine, back muscles, intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that transports blood from your lower body to the heart). Back-sleeping can also put you at risk for backaches and hemorrhoids, inefficient digestion, and impaired breathing and circulation. Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure that can make them feel dizzy; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure

Now I'm really confused! ;)

I'm with your mum, whatever position is comfortable!! Have never heard that it was advised not to sleep on your back..

When i was pregnant with my first i used to try and avoid going to sleep on my back but always woke up laying on my back, i could have been lying there for hours. My husband used to nudge me as towards the end of pregnancy i snored terribly when on my back!
Id say try not to worry, i found the pillow between my leg thing awkward at first but did get used to it. Have you got a triangular pillow? I think they are better.

have u tried propping urself up a bit and sleeping like that on ur back but ive been sleeping whatever is comfy i think u will know when u can no longer sleep on ur back tho as ur body will feel uncomfy

A body pillow can also help. I'm planning on buying one, and then using it as a surrogate DH lol! You can kind of curl up on top of it and hug it, so you're nearly sleeping on your stomach.

well i have heard about all that research about sleeping on the back but to be honest i dont know if i beleive it, i slept on my back with my first pregnancy coz sleeping on my sides just made me ache even with body pillow and i never suffered with any symptoms of restricted blood flow, im now 33 weeks pregnant with my second and sleep on my back because to be honest i feel i can breath better, when im on my sides i feel like my lungs are being squashed but when i lay on my back i feel stretched out and can take deaper breaths and my ribs dont hurt, i mean if it was a real danger to an unborn baby everyone would know about it as it would be a pregnancy NO NO that the docs tell u about from day one.
i say sleep how u feel comfortable!!

Thanks girls :)

I shall have to steal some of DH's pillows and prop myself up, I need sleep badly!
I'll talk to my MW when I see her in four weeks and see what she has to say about it all.

My Dr said that if I feel asleep on my back or rolled onto it while I was sleeping that it would be fine. If it started cutting off oxygen or something and I started having trouble breathing or anything cause of it I would just roll over in my sleep into another position and not to worry about it, just to try to be comfotable as long as possible.

I had no choice but to lay on my back in later pregnancy with both of mine....and all was fine! I think Mother nature would soon let you know if you were causing any damage! x

Well I tried it out on my back last night... it seems Mother Nature wants me to sleep on my feet because I woke at at 3am with terrible backache and no position would ease it! LOL!

(I suppose being hunched over my sewing machine didn't help too much yesterday :blush:)

I was confused about this idea myself up until recently. I was constantly struggling for a comfortable sleep position and found myself, like you, going on my back for temporary relief. It wasn't until I was waiting at the doctor's office recently where I read a Pregnancy magazine that stated that the theory of not being able to sleep on your back is an old wives tale. I think we should sleep however is comfortable for us.

I wake up constantly throughout the night with pain in my shoulders and hips if I sleep on my sides and it ends up keeping me up. I think it's healthier to get a decent night's sleep than to worry about old wives tales.

Well I tried it out on my back last night... it seems Mother Nature wants me to sleep on my feet because I woke at at 3am with terrible backache and no position would ease it! LOL!

:rofl:! Seems as though you may be stuck in limbo for sometime. Hopefully you find a good position soon. Have you tried the bathtub? :rofl:

Whilst I do believe it's true about it being bad to sleep on your back, I think it's best not to worry yourself about it. I just slept anyway I was comfortable! but when I woke in the night for one of many toilet trips, I just put myself back on my side.

Don't worry, sleep how you want!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->