The speedy birth of Oliver John - 05/10/10

Claire300

Mum to 2 lovely boys!
Reaction score
Little Oliver made his appearance on 5th October, 8 days early.

I woke up at 3.30am with stomach ache, convinced I needed the loo. I spent 2 hours trying to go to the loo, gave up and actually got up at 5.30am to 'google' constipation remedies safe for pregnancy! I really didn't think it was labour, as the pains were very irregular, but at the same time frequent.
By the time DH got up for work at 6.45 I was getting really uncomfortable, so we both at that moment wondered if something was starting. I called the midwife who suggested it might be labour, but to have a bath and see if it goes off. I had a bath, and the contractions really kicked off then, they were coming every 5 - 6 mins. DH went in the bathroom to brush his teeth as it looked like we were off to the hospital. By the time he came out (about 10 mins later) the contractions were 2 mins apart!

After I got myself sorted, last minute things packed, a frantic phone call to my mum and the longest car journey imaginable (hospital is 25mins away anyway!) we arrived. I have to say, I knew contractions would hurt, but up until then I had no idea how low my tolerance is! I was in agony!
When I was examined, I was 4cm dilated, and by this point it was 10.00am. The midwife thought that as I still had quite a way to go I should try the birthing pool, as it might help ease the contractions. By this point it was 10.30am. As soon as the midwife left the room, I had my show, followed by my waters breaking (all oooooooovvvveeeerrrr the place!). The gas & air at this point was a lifesaver! The contractions hurt so much!

I finally got into the pool at 11.30am. The midwives even suggested the contractions may go off for a while & I might be able to go home for a while - I nearly cried! I couldn't face going through all that again! Walking from the room I was in to the birthing pol room however, I had about 3 contractions, and a further 2 trying to get in! (these 5 without my precious gas & air!).
I got into the pool and within minutes another midwife arrived, as it looked like things were really speeding up. I remember the 2nd midwife telling me how to pant through a contraction, and that I'd be told when to do it. Turns out there was no time, and at the next contraction his head was out! Bloody hurt! In no time at all he was here, and was born at 12.23pm, weighing 7lb 2oz. He didn't cry at all, just stared at us with his beautiful big eyes.

I didn't do as well. As he came so fast, and there was no time to control the birth, I ended up with a 3rd degree tear, which had to be stitched in theatre. A small price to pay though, for our gorgeous little man!

Wow, quick birth. Your little man was in a hurry :lol: Well done.

Wow, your first? congrats hon, he's beautiful!

Wow sounds like all my other 3 births.. this is my 4th and getting to 3cm has taken forever.. so hopeing that soon I am 4 and it goes as fast as before. CONGRATS sweety xoxoxo.

congrats on the birth of Oliver. Well done you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->