The things they never tell you..

That once the epidural is in, wind is uncontrollable.

That when in labour, you may end up running to the loo, thinking why does this stubborn pee not release. It doesn't because, it's babies head putting pressure.

That once you give birth, your vagina will remain enlarged and swollen for a while.

How helpful a student midwife is in midst of labour when your midwife is busy elsewhere.

Not to strain in pregnancy isn't stressed enough, as that greatly minimizes piles which really never disappear.

How unpredictable birth is and to prepare for worst as well as best, especially reading up on section!

Also, contractions don't 'hurt' as such, it feels more like there's an iron band compressing all your organs into a black hole inside.

Well...that just made me feel like 600% more calm about the whole thing, let me tell you!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

Wish they had told me how some morning sickness symptoms can come back in the third trimester. I was horrified when I hit week 29 and started to feel nauseous again after eating certain foods...ugh

My mom told me that it will feel like baby is coming out of ur bum. Glad i can now prepare for this

All I can say now is...... "Baby feel free to stay inside!! Mummy doesn't like the sound of any of this lol!!!

Staying upright when in second stage stage makes it SO much easier ... You're working WITH gravity and because your pelvis isn't compressed on a bed, the pelvis expands to help let baby through (making pushing easier).

DON'T ignore the benefits of breathing properly in labour - it oxygenates the muscles (uterus and therefore baby), it helps to keep you calm and in control. Panic causes pain! One excercises that really helped me in previous deliveries was to imagine my breath relaxing every muscle as it went past.

That for a couple of days after delivery, the bathroom will look like a crime scene after you've used it and that the thing that would ache most after a vaginal delivery is your butt (even if you tear and need to be stitched up!)

Also, if you are in the US, eat a hearty meal before you go to the hospital. They literally starve you with their 'nil by mouth' policy. My husband snuck some cookies in for me which I ate like a naughty school girl whilst the nurses were out of the room, but generally, I was blinkin hungry the whole time I was in labour.

I wish I'd known that when they say a newborn eats 3-4 oz every 3-4 hours, it doesn't mean they sleep 3-4 hours and then eat. It can mean they eat 1 oz every hour, half an ounce every half an hour......it's nonstop exhausting!

I wish I'd known that just because swings/bouncers exist for babies, doesn't mean the babies are going to like them. :nope:

Like the pp said, I'd wish I'd known how hungry I'd be in labor and snuck in more snacks!

Also, if you are in the US, eat a hearty meal before you go to the hospital. They literally starve you with their 'nil by mouth' policy. My husband snuck some cookies in for me which I ate like a naughty school girl whilst the nurses were out of the room, but generally, I was blinkin hungry the whole time I was in labour.

Really? In the UK we are encouraged to eat high energy snacks to get us through.

I wish someone had told me it was like having an umbrella opened up your bum lol and that the feeling of needing to poo was actually baby moving down. I spent ages in the toilet lol x

Never tell you to expect orange vomit coming out of your newborn for the first few days, more common with c section babies as its them clearing out there lungs.. The stuff stains so take in cheap or older stuff you don't mind getting ruined.

alot of these things made me crack up! but i have to say a few things... i never struggled with trapped gas after my DD nor did i suffer with letting rip without being able to control either... however i did get annoyed with everday being asked my a midwife if i had bowel movements yet lol.
Peeing after labour hurts more then labour itself.. I have a jug in my hospital bag, as the only way to get through the pain was to pour warm water down their as you wee'd!
Some people say how much your bum hurts after giving birth..... mine never ever did :S
How hungry you are in labour.... i didnt have this either, i was thirsty but never hungry... and midwifes told me you have to limit to a bite of something every hour as the more you eat the more you will throw up as baby is in the way in labour and wont let any process so when it cant go down it will go up...

i wish that someone told you that when babies head decends it feels like you need a big poo... cause i kept going toilet and pushing to poo... and nothing happened... it was babies head and i was actually pushing her out!! lol

I do wish i knew the hospitals policies better and that unless its visiting hours your partner does not get to go up to ward with you,... that was a shock to me

Also dont all panic about painful contractions or induction... i was induced via the drip... everyone says this causes more pain... THAT IS NOT ALWAYS TRUE... i didnt feel a single contraction! i watch the machine and my contractions hitting 100 but i still didnt feel anything! i felt nothing till the pushing pains started.... they did hurt alot!
I didnt realise how some people actually dont feel contractions lol... had i gone naturally i would not have known i was in labour xD

I wish someone told me it would look like someone had drawn a line with a marker pen down my belly. I had no idea about that so when I went for my 20 week scan I covered it up with foundation. Only I forgot they'd put gel on my belly and when they did it turned the gel orange and I had to fess up what I'd done!

Wow you didn't feel contractions? :happydance: that's encouraging to read! Did you have an epidural??

alot of these things made me crack up! but i have to say a few things... i never struggled with trapped gas after my DD nor did i suffer with letting rip without being able to control either... however i did get annoyed with everday being asked my a midwife if i had bowel movements yet lol.
Peeing after labour hurts more then labour itself.. I have a jug in my hospital bag, as the only way to get through the pain was to pour warm water down their as you wee'd!
Some people say how much your bum hurts after giving birth..... mine never ever did :S
How hungry you are in labour.... i didnt have this either, i was thirsty but never hungry... and midwifes told me you have to limit to a bite of something every hour as the more you eat the more you will throw up as baby is in the way in labour and wont let any process so when it cant go down it will go up...

i wish that someone told you that when babies head decends it feels like you need a big poo... cause i kept going toilet and pushing to poo... and nothing happened... it was babies head and i was actually pushing her out!! lol

I do wish i knew the hospitals policies better and that unless its visiting hours your partner does not get to go up to ward with you,... that was a shock to me

Also dont all panic about painful contractions or induction... i was induced via the drip... everyone says this causes more pain... THAT IS NOT ALWAYS TRUE... i didnt feel a single contraction! i watch the machine and my contractions hitting 100 but i still didnt feel anything! i felt nothing till the pushing pains started.... they did hurt alot!
I didnt realise how some people actually dont feel contractions lol... had i gone naturally i would not have known i was in labour xD

Im changing my mind about this helpful thread! lol. its freaking me out!! Gonna poo,fart, wee and bleed all through labour!! aghhhh!! :haha: xxxx

When the time comes hun,you wont care,trust me.xx

Wow you didn't feel contractions? :happydance: that's encouraging to read! Did you have an epidural??

no i had no pain relief at all at this point! I only used gas and air and pethadine after the pushing pains became unbearable! lol, I dont agree with epi's. I had an active labour even with my drip on, i gave birth on all fours and also used a bouncing ball in labour ward :) I had my daughter quickly and with no tearing cuts etc :) and yes i was shocked to, i didnt feel a single contraction at all with my daughter xx

I've yet to be through the delivery phase but I wish people had told me that getting out of bed in the middle of the night at 9 months pregnant with a full bladder would turn into an Olympic event that you really should have years of proper training for.

I now understand how turtles and ladybugs feel when they get stuck on their backs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->