The Vaginal Breech Birth of Jack Finley

Kirstee

Reaction score
Jack Finley was born on 20th June 2010 at 5.58pm. This is our story....

I awoke at 4.45am on Sunday 20 June thinking "Oh dear, ive wet the bed!". This was horrifying in itself, i mean, ive not even had the baby yet and my pelvic floors knackered?!.. Great! I got up to use the loo and knew it was my waters when i left a trail from my bed to the bathroom. There was also a green mucus... YUK!!

It was so unexpected as it was 8 days before my due date and first babys never come early... I was so convinced that my LO would be late that i'd said it was fine for my partner to get some overtime in and so he was working nights in London (a 2 and a half hour drive from our home).

I immediately panicked and with shaking fingers called my other half to say hurry home.. the baby's coming!!!! He was great bless him, really calming and supportive. He also called my mum to let her know my waters had broken and that she should come over as i was on my own.

Now, im somewhat of a drama queen and was unsure whether to call the hospital or not. I mean, this was my first baby and i didn't have a clue what to do but i was scared to death that whoever was on the phone would think i was being silly... I may have just wet the bed (at this point there were no contractions) which would be sooooo embarrassing!!

My mum arrived at my house at about 5.15am and after making me a brew and calming me down assured me that it was definitely my waters and that i should ring the hospital. When i called they were great. The midwife i spoke to informed me that my labour should start naturally soon however if it didn't, i should go into hospital at around 10am as i'd have to be induced (due to risk of infection).

2 hours and 15 cuppas later my other half walked through the door (white as a sheet). There was no sign of baby and so he decided to get his head down for a bit. It wasn't a shock to any of us that as soon as he did i started feeling twinges in my back and tummy.

"Is it a contraction?" my mum and partner kept saying, "well, is it?" "How the bloody hell should i know, ive never had a contraction before!" After deciding these twinges must be contractions we started timing them. They were really irregular at first and so I decided we should stay at home for as long as possible. That is what all the magazines id read said to do anyway... About 9am they were really starting to hurt and so i decided we should go into hospital.

When i arrived, i was taken into the assessment suite where the midwife felt my tummy and asked me some questions. She said i was definitely in labour, baby's head down engaged etc however she thought it'd be a while yet so i could either go up onto the labour ward or go home. Because i no longer wanted to be a drama queen and prove i am in fact brave i chose the latter. As soon as we left the hospital, my contractions got considerably worse! My partner and mum had also decided they were hungry and stopped at McDonalds which was extremey embarrassing... It was a really hot day and so the windows were down and there i was every so often screaming my head off!!!

When we got home my partner ran me a bath as they're supposed to be good when your in labour. Well, i didn't feel any better at all and so after 20 minutes decided we shoud go back to the hospital. So, back in the car we went which was really embarrassing again as my other half was ringing all his mates up to tell them the news and i was screaming like a banshee!!! Honest to God, no matter what anyone ever told me about the pain of child birth it was a million times worse!

When we arrived at the hospital, again, i was put in the same suite and by the same midwife i saw earlier, given an internal. "I'm not sure what i'm feeling Kirstee, i think it's an eybrow, let me get a Doctor". She came back with a Doctor and of course some medical students who all had to have a look. Of course, it wasn't an eybrow that the midwife was feeling. It was his bottom!!

The Doctor advised me that in this situation a cesarean section would be necessary however i did NOT want to be cut open. I was shocked that this wasn't picked up by any of my previous midwife appointments. I understand it's not an exact science however a friend of mine had recently had her baby 'turned' and so there was no way i expected my baby to be breech!

After a lengthy chat with my Doctor about the associated risks we agreed that i'd have a go at a vaginal delivery however i had to be ready for surgery in case of complications. I was moved to a private room and strapped up to the monitors. At this stage i was only allowed gas and air as i was going to have to have an epidural.

4 hours later the aneasthetist arrived.. I think at this stage i was a bit delerious with pain as all i kept saying was "Give me the bloody needle!". Of course there's always a problem and he had to leave the room due to an emergency. It was another 2 hours later until he returned to give me the epidural and i was already 7 cm dilated.

I never wanted to have an epidural. I'd wrote in all my birth plans that i was dead against them but let me tell you they are the bestest things ever! As soon as it kicked in i was on top of the world! The only problem was i wasn't allowed to eat anything in case i had to have a section and at this point i was starving!

Within about half an hour a felt something strange down below and so my OH went to get a midwife. She came in and informed me that due to the epidural she didnt think i would have progressed any but went to get the Doctor anyway. As soon as the Doctor, and the medical students, had a look her words were "Right Kirstee, are you ready to push?"

My whole life flashed before my eyes... i wasn't ready! I was going to have a baby and all i kept thinking was i hadn't finished washing all his clothes!!

If you could see the room i was in, you'd think i was giving birth to a 5 headed lobster! It was so crowded with Doctors and midwifes all trying to get a look at the vaginal breech delivery which hardly ever happen anymore. It's a shame really.

A midwife had to tell me when my contractions were so that i could push due to the epidural. I was also given an episiotomy due to him being breech. With my first few pushes nothing happened, i was also making screaming noises (because thats what they do on telly) and i was asked to stop because they weren't necessary.. how embarrassing?! haha. With the next push i saw a litte bum pop out followed by one leg and all i remember thinking is hasn't he got big feet! Another push and another leg followed until there was only his head left inside. The Doctor wanted to use forceps to deliver the head but i've read the forceps horror stories and thought no you're not! without being told, i pushed with all my might and out popped little Jack. The Dr had to be quick to catch him!!

The time was 5.58pm and he weighed just 6lb 1/2oz.

congrats and well done on a beautiful natural breech birth story! I am a natural breech birth baby myself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->