The very late arrival of my gorgeous Toby

sam's mum

mum of two gorgeous boys
Reaction score
My little man is finally here, 2 weeks late but he was more than worth the wait :cloud9:

I went into the hospital at 9.30am on Friday 25th, and they put me on the CTG monitor for 20 minutes before giving me the propess (like prostin gel but a 10mg slow release dose that’s supposedly very effective and starts labour off more gently than the gel), then back on the CTG for an hour. They then suggested that we went out for a walk, so we spent ages walking around the hospital grounds and went to get some food. By 3pm the propess had fallen out. I called the midwife to tell her, assuming that they’d just put another one in, but they said that there was nothing else that they could do and I would have to wait 24 hours and be reassessed then (which would have been the case if it had stayed in). So basically they’d done nothing and I was stuck in hospital for no reason. Luckily they changed their minds having spoken to a doctor, and as it had only been in for a couple of hours they decided that they would wait until 9pm and give me a dose of prostin gel instead. They put me back on the CTG at 8.30, gave me the gel at 9.10 and monitored baby again for an hour. By the time they put my gel in my cervix had moved forwards and I was 2-2.5cm dilated, so at least something was happening! I was told to go to sleep at that I would be assessed again at 3am, and that they would give me more gel then if I needed it.

I woke up at 4.30 am and nobody had been to see me, but the midwife said that they had decided to leave me until the morning. I was having some slight pains which I didn’t really think anything of, but by 5.30am my contractions were 5 minutes apart, over a minute long and very painful! I asked the midwife about Mark coming in and she just said he’d have to wait until visiting hours at 9! By 6.20 I was on the gas and air and had my tens machine on, and they were waiting for a bed for me in delivery and I told Mark to meet me there at 6.30. I was so glad I was off the ward as it was so hard just having to lie there quietly in the middle of the night because there were people sleeping all around me! This was nothing like my labour with Sam - I wasn’t expecting to go from nothing to long, painful contractions quite so fast. When Mark arrived I half jokingly asked the midwives about getting an epidural - I think they thought I was joking too, and looked at me as if I was insane after going through 49 hours of labour with Sam without one. They changed shifts and the new midwives said they’d have a listen to baby just to check he was ok. Just before 8am they put the monitor on my belly and heard nothing… started moving it around trying to pick up something and I could see they were panicking but trying to look like nothing was wrong so I wouldn’t panic. Then they buzzed for help and someone else rushed in - they told them they were having problems finding the fetal heartbeat and suddenly everyone was rushing around me and didn’t seem so calm any more …they broke my waters to try and put a clip on the baby’s head, which seemed to take forever - they could reach it but couldn’t get the clip on. Then the monitor picked something up. The whole thing was probably over in a couple of minutes but they seemed like the longest 2 minutes of my life. I have never been so relieved :cry:

Breaking my waters made the contractions suddenly even more intense and the new midwives said that as I was only 4-5cm dilated it might be a good idea to have an epidural…which I was more than happy with! The anaesthetist was in surgery (they are only on call at the weekends) so I had to wait for him to come out, and the whole process of putting it in seemed to take ages but I didn’t really care. At this point I was just so happy that my little man was ok - they decided to leave the CTG on until he was born, which was really reassuring, and because they’d broken my waters I knew that they were clear. The anaesthetist went back to theatre and I started wondering how long it took for anything to happen… it hadn’t worked at all, and they’d taken my tens machine off so they’d just made the pain so much worse! He eventually came back at about 11, took it out and did it again… and it was heaven! I actually smiled for the rest of my labour! I could still feel enough to push and started at 12.55pm, his head was out at 1.07 and Toby was born at 1.08pm. He is perfect. The midwife rubbed his chest to get him breathing properly (even though he seemed fine) and put him on my chest. He just lay there looking up at me with the most gorgeous eyes - he looked just like Sam. He weighed 4.04 kg (8lb 14.5oz) - just slightly heavier than Sam who was 8lb 13oz.

I couldn’t be happier :cloud9:

https://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk217/lynnmarkandsam/Toby%20Sept%2009/IMG_7544.jpg

https://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk217/lynnmarkandsam/Toby%20Sept%2009/IMG_7532.jpg

Awwwwwwwwww congratulations babe....he's beautiful. How are you?:hugs:

Great name too:winkwink:

OMG congratsssssss!!!!!!!!! he is gorgeous hun, well done!!!! xxxxx

Awwwwwwwwww congratulations babe....he's beautiful. How are you?:hugs:

Great name too:winkwink:

I'm great thanks :D ...was thinking of your Toby when we were talking about names the night before he was born (and still trying to decide :lol:)

So nice to have my whole little family at home together! x

so gorgeous! Congratulations :hugs:

Hes so so so gorgeous hun! You done an amazing job hun xx

:hugs: im so happy for you Lynn...congratulations!!...iv just come back from work and logged on here to see if you had done a birth story...you must be so proud :hugs:

Love to you all :hugs: xx

Awww congratulations! He's so adorable, and that yawning pic is fantastic :)

Congrats hun!!! He looks so much like Sam, wow!!! Epidural is great, isn't it? :thumbup:

So happy for you!!!! How's everyone doing? Sam likes his new gorgeous baby brother? aww xx:cloud9:

Congrats hun!!! He looks so much like Sam, wow!!! Epidural is great, isn't it? :thumbup:

So happy for you!!!! How's everyone doing? Sam likes his new gorgeous baby brother? aww xx:cloud9:

The epidural was awesome :lol: ...poor Mark doesn't even get a week where I'm saying I may not want more kids...I'd do it again this second :rofl: We're great thanks!! Sam seems far more interested in his little brother today - he keeps saying 'oh dear' when he cries :lol: When we took the photos in the hospital yesterday he was too excited about his Peppa Pig sticker book to notice Toby! It was nearly bedtime and he'd fallen asleep in the car on the way to see us though, so I don't think he really knew what was happening! x

The epidural was awesome :lol: ...poor Mark doesn't even get a week where I'm saying I may not want more kids...I'd do it again this second :rofl: We're great thanks!! Sam seems far more interested in his little brother today - he keeps saying 'oh dear' when he cries :lol: When we took the photos in the hospital yesterday he was too excited about his Peppa Pig sticker book to notice Toby! It was nearly bedtime and he'd fallen asleep in the car on the way to see us though, so I don't think he really knew what was happening! x

:lol: Aww he's adorable. Congrats again! When I come to the UK we'll have to arrange another little get together if you have some time! I'd love to meet him and see you and Sam again !! :hugs: This time, the boys could properly play together and keep busy! hehe

He is simply gorgeous, :cloud9: I am so happy for you Lynn!!! All this waiting and finally he is here! :cloud9:

:lol: Aww he's adorable. Congrats again! When I come to the UK we'll have to arrange another little get together if you have some time! I'd love to meet him and see you and Sam again !! :hugs: This time, the boys could properly play together and keep busy! hehe

We'd all love that :wohoo:

When are you coming over? x

We'd all love that :wohoo:

When are you coming over? x

Not sure yet, we were meant to go at this time of the year, but my husband's job is always full of bad surprises, so we haven't been able to book anything yet. I will def let you know, but it will be before Xmas!

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"