Then & Now - our preemies

Love this thread!! It is so important that we share the success stories of our little fighters not only for ourselves but for others who may be looking for hope! My son Zackary was born at 23weeks 1day after an amniotic infection threatened to kill both of us. We were told every horror story and statistic that the doctors had to tell us due to his prematurity. We never lost faith. He made it through a vaginal delivery weighing 1lb 8oz. He spent 118 days in the NICU but thankfully never experience any brain bleeds or heart issues. His lungs were always the issue, being on the vent for 59 days, CPAP, hi-flow and then finally coming home on low-flow oxygen. At exactly 6 months old, we drove from Colorado to California to stay with family. Leaving the elevation was just what Zackary needed to get off of his oxygen at home! It was such a blessing as we were told he could possibly be on it for years. Zackary had hernia surgery while in the NICU and developed a UTI which needed antibiotics but that was it! He picked up bottles right away (just stay consistent, it will come with time) and we were able to leave the NICU 2 days before his due date. After we were home, he developed ROP and required laser eye surgery. Following that, the retinas in his eyes began detaching so he had to have another eye surgery. He will need glasses as he is near sighted (they can already find that out!) but again if that is his only concern, then we are so blessed! 23 weekers can make it! And they can have great lives!! Don't give up hope! Here are some before and after pics!

Attachments

• Zackary #10.jpg
    Zackary #10.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Zackary #9.jpg
    Zackary #9.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Zackary #6.jpg
    Zackary #6.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Zackary #7.jpg
    Zackary #7.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Zackary #8.jpg
    Zackary #8.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 24
Ow my..Zachary is just flipping amazingly cute!! God bless him and well done to you for holding into hope!!

Thanks so much Christiana!! I am so proud of him! He will be turning one next month and now I am starting to get the pregnancy itch again! Super scared for another preemie and pregnancy problems though!

BS don't be..every pg is different and I m guessing you will be monitored so much more closely! Not the same I know, but my 2nd came at 35weeks despite strict bed rest for 5 month till the day I delivered..my third I worked full time and took care of two toddler all the way to 38+6 and eventually after a lot of bouncing on a ball and walking like crazy she came at 39+1! Go for it, you make seriously cute babies!!!

Aww thank you Christiana!! So good to hear your future pregnancies went longer! I pray I get a big belly and full term pregnancy (or as close as I can get to it) next time!

OMG I can´t believe I´m here again <3

This forum was so helpful and sooo friendly and caring when I most needed!
I will never be able to thank the girls that supported me when I had no idea about "real" preemies...

Ok, I have 2 beaaaaaaatiful babies (not babies anymore lol one is 4 and my oldest is turning 8). With my son, he was almost full term, he was born at 34+2 with 6.1 lb. He stayed at the hospital for 2 weeks, it felt like forever but I had no idea about "waiting" or "going home without the baby" till I had my daughter, she was born 29+5, nearly 4 pounds (3.8) she went to the whooole preemie process (NICU, thousand exams, everything except ventilator, she went straight to Cpap) but bradys, lil brainbleed, feeding issues, IVs... That was really hard, something that I don´t wish to my worst enemy, but she was a fighter and I think this kind of experience makes us stronger, not better moms but deff stronger moms <3

Today my preemie, tiny baby is 4, jumping around, playing toys and she´s not the biggest girl but perfect (for me) in every single way...

Attachments

• yasminpreemie.jpg
    yasminpreemie.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 10
  • princesinha3.jpg
    princesinha3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 8
  • princesa.jpg
    princesa.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 8
Such a doll!! So happy for you and your family!

I thought I'd post my baby's pics for some updated inspiration. I'm happy to chat with anyone who is currently going through NICU time, or anyone who is post NICU but still struggling or just needs a friend to talk about what it's like. My little one was born at 34 weeks but was smaller than expected and took until almost her due date to figure out the suck/swallow/breathe ability. It took three months to get to breast feeding. Now she is a healthy, happy almost-14-month-old who is beginning to pull to stand.

My baby was born early because my blood pressure was very high and they decided it couldn't wait any longer, for my safety. The baby was expected to do well, but they were surprised with how small she was, for her gestational age. She was born weighing 3 lbs, 15 oz and dropped to 3 lbs, 4 oz before she finally started gaining weight. She came home from the hospital four days before her due date, weighing just over 6 lbs. A year later, she weighs 17 lbs, 9 oz and is full of personality!

20180422_170733.jpg 20180423_124748.jpg 20190427_145256.jpg 20190420_130009.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->