Thickening formula?

A

AriannasMama

My LO has reflux and spits up constantly. Its really sour and she screams and arches her back when she does it. I found this product on a reflux forum called gelmix. I got 3 free samples of it off their website and it works really well. Has anyone else ever heard of it or used it? I guess it has been used in Europe since the '50s, the ingredients of it at least... (Ingredients: Organic Carob Bean Gum, Organic Maltodextrin, Calcium Lactate). The bolded one is the main ingredient that has been used in Europe for thickening not only formula, but breast milk, pureed foods, etc.

I havent used this, but it sounds interesting

I changed my LO from aptamil 1st to comfort, as it is thicker (HV advice)

Good luck, hope it helps :hugs:

over here in the UK you can buy a powder from cow and gate called Carobel - and that is basically carob gum.
you add it to LO's formula to get desired thickness and feed.
we started off with some but found actually using a specially designed reflux formula a lot better and less hassle and a lot less sticky!

over here in the UK you can buy a powder from cow and gate called Carobel - and that is basically carob gum.
we started off with some but found actually using a specially designed reflux formula a lot better and less hassle and a lot less sticky!

Which formula is this? :shrug:

We are using aptamil comfort, on the advice of HV...But on the tub, it only states its for colic & constipation

Although it has helped her, I just wondered what you use? :flower:

Which formula is this? :shrug:

We are using aptamil comfort, on the advice of HV...But on the tub, it only states its for colic & constipation

Although it has helped her, I just wondered what you use? :flower:

SMA staydown (you can buy in huge asda's and boots but not many do stock it - hence you can get it on 'script). There are also some others, can't remember the name off the top of my head but they cannot be bought in shops.
Comfort isn't a reflux formula BUT if you are using something like gaviscon (a thickener) you can add it to comfort I believe as it doesn't contain a thickener like the Staydown does.
There is a post further down called SMA Staydown x

Does staydown have rice - rice can be VERY hard on their tummies.

I use a gel thickener Simply Thick -- DD has issues with aspiration and all her liquids are thickened. We tried rice cereal [since she could have the RS formulas] and it didn't really help enough to be worth the other issues.

it says natural corn / maize starch, we haven't had any issues in fact it has got LO's reflux under control - issues only arise when she is ill, especially lots of mucus and from food, especially dairy.
x

my lo had enfamil ar on prescription from his gp, this is also an anti reflux formula, with much better reviews than sma staydown from what ive read xx

Omar was on Aptamil AR & it has Carob Bean Gum as a thickener. It's the only formula I found for reflux that doesnt have corn starch or rice powder as a thickener agent. It didnt cause any constipation as it helps in softening the poo. & you can prepare it using hot water.

I dont know why it's not sold in the UK

Arianna was on Enfamil AR, which has rice starch to thicken it but it made her really constipated.

OP can't try stay down as she's in US.

The samples sound like carobel, worth a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->