Think I Might Have A Fight On My Hands (home/hospital)

chattyB

Reaction score
Uurrgghh - this is EXACTLY what I didn't want. I'm 35 and expecting baby 4 after a 10 year gap. My older children are 17, 12 and 9. I am an ex midwife and used to work on the delivery suite of a larger hospital - I left and decided to concentrate on being a mum.

I went onto labour at 21 weeks with my twin boys and unfortunately, the labour couldn't be stopped. My boys were born sleeping. I went on to have another 2 children, my son (12) was born at 42+4, 10lb, natural waterbirth in hospital. My daughter (9) was induced at 36+1 due to polyhydramosis (reduced fluid), 7lb 6oz, direct OP position, ventouse and a PPH.

My midwife at the booking in appt is great, very pro home birth but told me I'll be under consultant care due to previous preterm labour at 21 weeks and threatened preterm labour at 30weeks with my 9 year old.

I'm not a stupid young girl - I realise that if I start to go into labour early, my hopes of for a home birth would be the last thing on my mind and I'll be heading straight into hospital myself. I don't want to be under consultant care - I want to be able to relax and enjoy this pregnancy, not sit and worry everyday that something is going to go wrong.

Midwife knows I'm not happy but I know she's just following protocol. I know that I can "refuse" to see the consultant BUT the consultant actually travels out to the clinic to see mothers - it makes it all a bit awkward.

This is a new area for me - I grew up had my other children and trained in England, I'm in Scotland now do the "system" is a little different.

I really don't know what to do! I hate the thought that every appointment could be turned into a battle of wills and being preached at about the dangers of home birth .... I'd rather cut all ties and go to an independent midwife, or go for UC if it comes to it.

BTW - all previous labours have been pretty quick. #1- 1hr 52mins, 2#- 3hr 4min, #3. 3hr 27min.

What would you do in this situation?? Am I just being hormonal and over reacting?

What are the implications of consultant led care if everything remains normal in your pregnancy. I know for me I was told I would be high risk due to previous GD but since I passed my two GTTs one at 16 weeks and 28 weeks I was discharged back to midwife led care and my homebirth plans have been put into place.

I guess I would go along for one visit to see the consultant tell them about your home birth plans and ask them what additional care you will receive by being consultant led. For me it was just an appointment at the hospital with a doctor at 24 weeks where they did the usual checks the midwife would do anyway.

If you don't like their attitude you can decline further appointments and just go along to your community midwife as normal. Obviously if something does happen with the pregnancy you could be referred back to consultant led.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->