Think my worst fear is going to come true... Someone shed some light please?

IsabellaJayne

Mum of beautiful girls! WTT Dec 2023
Reaction score
I've been finding baby's heartbeat very low down. And been hearing the placenta very loudly over my previous section scar. I've been terrified of my placenta attaching to the scar tissue as I had an anterior placenta last time.

I don't know where my placenta is lying at the moment but it's sounds from the Doppler that it's right over the scar :(

I've read the horror stories of hysterectomys the lot. Safe to say I'm
Petrified of this happening. I never had a low lying placenta last time. Just anterior.

Can anyone calm me down? Anyone had an anterior placenta with pregnancy after section and everything been ok?

What does it say on your 12 week scan report about where your placenta is? There should be a note of it somewhere :)
Even if it is anterior, it doesn't mean it's low-lying. The same as if it's low lying now, doesn't mean it's going to stay there - they don't actually start taking notice of placental position as any importance until much later on, as it can move up as your uterus grows :)

The vast majority of anterior placentas will move up out of the way of the scar in the third trinester. Placenta accreta, whilst serious, is very rare. Anterior placentas in women who have had previous sections aren't that rare.

Did you have a 12 week scan? Did they say where the placenta was then? It's something that will be checked at 20 weeks too and if anterior AND low they will offer follow up scans, often around 32 weeks.

I asked but they said they don't look at the placenta until 20 week scan. It's a massive fear of mine. Can just see it happening to me :(

Can I ask why?

It's really very rare, whereas anterior placentas are very common.

Sorry. Why what? Lol. Am I scared? I'm not afraid of having an anterior placenta, just if its anterior and low I case it attaches to my scar tissue

I have a really rare blood disorder so I have it in my head that because it's rare it would happen to me

Yes, sorry, I meant why do you think it would happen to you.

I'm sure you know rationally that having one rare medical problem doesn't increase your chances of having another, but I do know what it feels like to think it would be "just my luck"

So, so far... You don't know if your placenta is anterior
You don't know if it is low enough to be anywhere near the scar (most placentas - whether anterior or posterior - are much higher than that)

Even if your placenta was anterior and low, it's still unlikely to grow into the scar.

I don't know if the rational stuff helps or not. I really hope you can relax about it. I'm not sure if using the doppler is helping you.
X

I'm normally a quite rational person believe or not lol. I take things in my stride. I think I just read about it and started to piece my own little story together. Then I wanted to see how likely/unlikely it was. I'm also adamant on going for a VBAC so I think the thought of something getting In The way of that is making me apprehensive also.

I honestly don't think there is a correlation to where you hear the placenta and where it is. My placenta is on the top of my uterus, and at the back, yet I pick it up really clearly (louder than bubs hb and my own usually) at various places, including down near my pubic bone. Remember there is tonnes of fluid to transmit sound waves! I pick up baby is strange locations also, for instance in two places at once - it is definitely only one baby though!

I think it is really easy to think the worst - I actually thought I was going into labour because I could hear my baby in a super low position whereas normally she is much higher, I also had a lot of pressure and cramps but sure enough, she is still in there and has moved back up!

When I asked the sonographer in my 12 weeks scan the position of my placenta she said it was currently anterior but it could move....and it did. By the 20 weeks scan it was posterior. I shouldn't spend your time worrying about the unknown. Even if it is anterior and low now there is a very high probability of it not staying that way xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->