Think we have chosen a name. Opinions?

maisie78

Mum
Reaction score
Caelan James Albert

Caelan (pn. Kay-lan) is Gaelic and means slender and fair or strong in battle.
James is for oh's Dad and because I have always liked the name.
Albert is for oh's grandad who passed away in April.

We have really struggled with boys names and this is the only one we have agreed on. Originally I suggested Callan (like Callum but with an N) but OH prefers the Gaelic spelling and pronunciation.

I like it! :)
I'm Irish and don't know anyone with it and we've got some pretty rare Irish names in my family.

I like it. I think it's a really strong name and I think James makes a great middle name. Also - wow you know the sex early! X

I like it. I think it's a really strong name and I think James makes a great middle name. Also - wow you know the sex early! X

Thank you x We were offered genetic testing to see if the baby would have the same condition as our dd. The first step was gender testing as it is very rare for males to survive pregnancy with the condition. It is highly unlikely that he has it so we have decided to have no further testing now we know he is a boy :)

Wow that must be really difficult and emotional waiting for news like that. Do you mean boys are unlikely to survive pregnancy IF they have it, but your little boy doesn't have it through the testing? That's fantastic news and congratulations x

Basically any child was very unlikely to have it again because it was a spontaneous mutation in dd's genes and it just doesn't seem to occur spontaneously more than once in any family. But it is x-linked meaning boys rarely survive beyond first or second tri. We decided against further testing once we knew he was a boy because there is a less than 1% chance he has it compared to a 1% chance of miscarriage from the tests. I didn't think it was worth it since he is more than likely fine. So we aren't out of the woods regarding him potentially having it but I am staying positive :) x

Sounds like the odds are definitely in your favour xxx how lovely a girl and a boy x

Caelan is a nice name and goes well with James. I also really like that spelling, it "looks" nice! :thumbup:

My only concern would be that ppl may mistake it for the female name Kaelyn/Kailyn

I love the name Rylan - but worry ppl will think it's a girl name with a "lynn" at the end

Congrats on your baby boy!

I don't think that will be such a problem here because of the British accent. I think in the US it would sound more like Caelyn whereas here it will sound more like Caelun if that makes sense. We have a tv presenter called Rylan here in the UK and generally his name is pronounced Rylun :) x

I don't think that will be such a problem here because of the British accent. I think in the US it would sound more like Caelyn whereas here it will sound more like Caelun if that makes sense. We have a tv presenter called Rylan here in the UK and generally his name is pronounced Rylun :) x

In that case I think it's a great name - love it! Also love your daughter's name - top of my list! :thumbup:

Can I ask how many you know and where abouts you are please? I had never heard it before so want to gauge if it would be the same case here. Tia x

I've never heard it but it sounds gender neutral to me. (In my Australian accent). Nothing wrong with that.

Ah no!! We were in the supermarket the other day in a not so nice area and heard the father shout at his 3 year old son 'Caelan f#@king get 'ere....you touch anyfin again I'll f#@kin smack ya'. Why did I have to hear that?? Now oh is saying he hates the name and wants to change it :'(

I'm so sorry but in the grand scheme of things you have to admit that's kinda funny! The one name you and OH agreed on and a pretty obscure but beautiful one at that! And you hear it on the bad side of town!

I'm sorry sweety but if it helps... Raelan, Maelan, Baelan, Xaelan.

Or just stick with Caelan! It's gorgeous!

I like it! I know one little boy with this name (and I'm in Australia) & he is about 8 years old :)

I've told him he will have to come up with something pretty unique to make me change my mind :)

I guess it is quite funny. Seriously never heard that name anywhere before and the one time I do that happens. At least they won't be at the same school ;)

I'm in the US and knew a girl named Cailyn in High school. I always thought it was a beautiful name. I can see how it can be used for either sex. If you love it, stick with it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->