Think we've decided - what do you think?

Mrsmac02

TTC #1
Reaction score
We are expecting our second DS in 3 weeks and have really struggled to agree on a name!!

Anyway, I think we've agreed on Ruairi James (like Rory but with a U).

We're Scottish (well, I was born south of the border but lived here since my teens) so pronunciation isn't an issue for us. We suspect he'll be a redhead like me and his big bro and it's Celtic for red warrior, which I thought was kinda apt since he's spent month kicking the living daylights out of me!

But my family and friends down south won't have the foggiest idea how to pronounce it! Do you think that's an issue? There are a few different ways to spell it - Ruairi, Rhuaridh, Ruaridh - but we've gone for what we think is the simplest to remember.

Love the name but wondering how annoyed we/he might get spelling it or tell people how to pronounce it.

What do you reckon?

I love the name, but I think he will have to spend his life explaining the spelling. I'm also Scottish, and went to school with 5 Ruaridh's, and know a few more, and I've never seen that spelling. I've only ever known Ruaridh and Ruary. The name was very popular when I was young but not anymore, lovely to see you bringing it back!
I personally prefer Ruaridh, and kind of consider that the proper Scottish spelling. But maybe that's because I'm from a Gaelic speaking place.

Oh really, where are you? I'm in central belt and not aware of of a huge amount of Ruaridh/Ruairi/Ruary's. I know a fair few Eilidhs who have the same issue though!

I spent my childhood spelling my surname but now I'm married, it's ab fairly common Scottish surname we have so can understand the frustrations. Our only issue really is family down south (sure they'd get used to it!) and the fact we just cannot agree on anything else!

Just googled the spelling Ruairi and apparently that's the Irish way to spell it. I have zero Irish connections so probably go with Ruaridh!

I think the name is lovely, my husband has a few Rory's in his family (we are down south, so that's probs why they all spelt it that way).

I prefer the spelling Ruaridh, I'm English and wouldn't instantly know how to pronounce it but because the sound is familiar (Rory) I would only need to be told once. I've met lots of people with much more unusual names but once you know someone it becomes like any other name.

Thanks ladies. Suffice to say my folks aren't as keen as we are - mum turned her nose up and dad asked me to say it three times :dohh:

Oh really, where are you? I'm in central belt and not aware of of a huge amount of Ruaridh/Ruairi/Ruary's. I know a fair few Eilidhs who have the same issue though!

I spent my childhood spelling my surname but now I'm married, it's ab fairly common Scottish surname we have so can understand the frustrations. Our only issue really is family down south (sure they'd get used to it!) and the fact we just cannot agree on anything else!

I'm from the western isles, but now I'm also in the central belt. There were lots on the island I'm from when I was young, but like I say, I haven't heard of any since! So I don't think it's common at all now. I had 6 Eilidh's in my year in school, but I know that's still an uncommon name across the rest of the country.

It's a lovely name, and I don't think he'd have many issues with spelling if it was Ruaridh, that's the standard I think.

Don't listen to your parents if you love it!!

Oh lovely, beautiful part of the world - the lady covering my maternity leave at work is from Barra :)

DH is still keen on Ruairi. Have to say I'm not fussed either way, I love the way the name sounds, especially with our surname, so we're going to go with it and decide which spelling when he arrived :)

It's a cool name, I really like it. Being from New Zealand I would say it wrong no matter how it's spelt, unless you chose plan Rory, the way you were originally spelling it looked like a Maori word to me and I said it tooootally wrong haha.

Great name! I know two Ruaridhs, one in his 30s and one 4 months old. :)I have to say I much prefer the -dh spelling, Ruari just looks wrong to me, like a mix between the Gaelic and the anglezised Rory.

Love the name. As I said in another thread my friend has a Ruari, but my fave spelling is probably Ruaridh. Remember, he's your baby, not your parents, don't let it out you off x

Do you just pronounce it 'rory'? Because I love it! Especially with the red warrior and him potentially having red hair - love that!!

Also don't be put off because of your parents. My dad said he liked all the names on our shortlist except the one which was our favourite. It caused me plenty of angst but we went with it anyway and I'm so glad we did x

I think in Scotland or Ireland the majority would pronounce it ROO-ry but I guess those outside of Scotland might pronounce it Rory! I have relatives in the north east of England and in southern counties who will prob call him Rory but I don't think that would bother us! X

Im in England and lrobounce it roo-ry x

I think my family are across the Pennines from you (north Yorks) so hopefully they get it too! X

Where I'm from we pronounce it the Gaelic way - kind of like Roo-uh-ree.

Love it. I honestly had no idea how to pronounce it but once you told me now I know. They might not at first but eventually they will remember how to pronounce his name, before he is old enough to remember them messing it up LOL. My cousins name their children Irish names and sometimes people get confused with some of this pronunciations but once they explain it and we memorize it we're good to go. For example, he named his one daughter Maebh. Sounds like mave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->