thinking about having a water birth

i know... we are very lucky!!!!! its a new unit, and i have to say, it was amazing! i loved my time there, OH stayed overnight, birthing pool in each room, LCD tv;s on the wall, and amazing midwives! the best bit is, if you give birth in the home from home unit, you dont have to go onto the labour ward after, your room is yours until you are discharged, so you get to bath in the pool as much as you want afterwards!
https://www.setrust.hscni.net/ucht services/New_maternity_Unit_Leaflet.pdf

https://www.setrust.hscni.net/ucht services/Maternity Services.html

Hi I'm pregnant with my first and really would like a water birth - I've been thinking about it for a while now....
Fingers crossed I'll be able to use one at the hospital O:)

Are there any stipulations to be able to use the birthing pool?

I've been thinking about it but ive had a different midwife at every appointment and haven't really felt comfortable asking about it.

i absolutely love water and couldn't think of a better place to give birth.

hey hun, here in NI (not sure about anywhere else) you must be low risk, with no other complications at all.. i had hyperemesis so was quite weak and they even initially ruled me out becasue of that, but i won that battle in the end!
highly recommend it tho! dont be worried about asking, its becomming much more mainstream and accepted as a totally normal way of birthing now, and most midwifes are very supportive about it

I'd never really considered a water birth until recently. I have sooo much trouble with lower back pain and sciatica (even before being pregnant) I'm wondering whether a water birth would be the best way to go.

Its a toss up for me really cos I feel being in the water would help me move about but a non-water birth I would probably go for epidural or pethedin to ease the pain.

Hubby is fine with whatever I decide and I'm hoping to discuss it some more with the midwives and women at antenatal, I dont have any other medical conditions (apart from being overweight) do you guys think a water birth would be best way to go for me? I don't know anyone who has had one

Hi

I had a waterbirth with C. I was only actually in it about half an hour and she was born. During the normal contractions that was fine, but the pushing ones (which lasted about 15 minutes) were horrendous and the water did absolutely NOTHING for the pain at all. Didn't help me relax, did nothing. But I do wonder if that was because I wasn't in the pool very long so hadn't had chance to get myself fully relaxed in there. I'd been labouring at home for a few hours before we decided to go to the birth centre to be checked out (I wasn't convinced I was in proper labour).

I've been doing some pregnancy relaxation with aromatherapy and am going to start doing the birth preparation hypnotherapy from about 30 weeks (again, along with the aromatherapy) which I'm hoping to use alongside the pool again but get into the pool earlier than I did last time so I can get the full benefit of it.

Midnight_Moon I think at least labouring in a pool may well help with your sciatica as it will probably sooth the pain.

xx

I'd never really considered a water birth until recently. I have sooo much trouble with lower back pain and sciatica (even before being pregnant) I'm wondering whether a water birth would be the best way to go.

Its a toss up for me really cos I feel being in the water would help me move about but a non-water birth I would probably go for epidural or pethedin to ease the pain.

Hubby is fine with whatever I decide and I'm hoping to discuss it some more with the midwives and women at antenatal, I dont have any other medical conditions (apart from being overweight) do you guys think a water birth would be best way to go for me? I don't know anyone who has had one

I know of women who started off in water at home and transferred for an epi when they felt they needed something more... But once you have an epi, it's not likely u can get in the water... Keep your options open is what I say!

Hey Ladies - this is my First LO and am thinking about a water birth if possible. The unit we want to have baby in has a pool and if available I was thinking about using it.

I do have a (silly) question though, something that the OH has put in my head:
What about the bodily fluids (blood/poo etc.)? Do you just stay in the pool or does it get filtered away?

Sorry if thats stupid.

Hi.

Re the bodily fluids etc, if it's a small or solid poo (obviously unlikely from the baby) the midwife has a seive which she would use to scoop it out and dispose of. Re the blood and other bodily fluids, yes you would just stay in the pool. Some people have lots, some people have hardly any at all. It's all individual and you never know whether you'll be a messy birther or not lol :)

Hope that's answered your question??!

xx

Hi.

Re the bodily fluids etc, if it's a small or solid poo (obviously unlikely from the baby) the midwife has a seive which she would use to scoop it out and dispose of. Re the blood and other bodily fluids, yes you would just stay in the pool. Some people have lots, some people have hardly any at all. It's all individual and you never know whether you'll be a messy birther or not lol :)

Hope that's answered your question??!

xx

Thanks - thats just what I wanted to know. :thumbup:

I didn't have my LO in the pool as she got stuck and I was taken out to a normal delivery room and then to theater . . . however I loved labouring in the pool and had starting to push when she got stuck. I only ever had the pool and G&A until my spinal in theatre and I have to say I was able to cope with the pain a lot more than when in the normal delivery room. If I ever have another LO I most certainly want a water birth!

This is a REALLY interesting thread! :thumbup: The hospital where I'm going have only one pool, and it was available when I was having Lindsey but the THOUGHT of getting WET at the time was horrendous to me!!! Its very bizarre, I love water normally, but even in pregnancy (this sounds really dumb I know) I don't like being wet!??! :wacko: :shrug: I have a shower every day but I like nearly have to force myself?!? bizarre...
I am totally hoping it'll at least be available for this one again though.. might MAKE myself get in and see what happens :)

:kiss:

Im going into hospital but would love to be in water for as long as poss with the labour but maybe get out for the pushing....I love baths and find water very soothing. Id like to take my own music and some essential oils in a diffuser!

Im going into hospital but would love to be in water for as long as poss with the labour but maybe get out for the pushing....I love baths and find water very soothing. Id like to take my own music and some essential oils in a diffuser!

The hospital I was at had a bath to labour in as well as the birthing pool.

Oh yep: CD's take a variety. I didn't take anything because I didn't think I would get the pool so I ended up useing what the hospital had. Anything with lyrics bizzarly made my contractions hurt more so I ended up with a classical music CD on, I can remember 'peter and the wolf' and 'the flight of the bumble bee' being on. It drove my OH mad but I screamed and shouted at him when he changed the CD and Elton John came on :wacko: :haha:

I really want a water birth, but they only have a couple of pools at my local hospital, so I'm really worried they won't be available. Is there anywhere you can go privately in Essex where you're guaranteed the use of a pool? Can't really go for a Home Birth as the idea completely freaks my DH out.

Not sure if this thread still running. I had a water birth 5 months ago and would def. recommend to anyone considering it. If I'm lucky enough to have baby no. 2 would like same birth. Didn't want drugs if possible and my husband laughed at me saying I was not very good with pain (who is) and thought it'd never happen. I went through my labour and only had 3 puffs of gas/air and couldn't take any more as it was making me feel sick. In the end had to get out of the water for the last 15 mins and give birth on the bed - still without drugs. This was due to me not stretching as much as I should have and had to be cut and my son's heartbeat was slowing down. Water is brill, really helps to dull the pain - don't get me wrong I still felt pain but no where near as bad as it was on dry land.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->