thinking about labour. what advice can you give

So when u see women screaming on these programs its abit over the top for T.v? X

Some times its shouting through fear or loss of control, not pain. Labour can be a very anxious time and its easy to become stressed or panicked. I think I had two bits of it being too much the first time - once when I cried when they told me I was 5cm (I was overwhelmed) and again when they tried turning my son. Apart from that I was near enough silent my whole labour. I'm a huge chatterbox and normally very happy to express my displeasure :haha: so it was a surprise that I would become so 'in the zone'. My OH was a little disturbed by it and kept asking if I was asleep!!

Hi.

I had an epidural and it was the best thing ever. I'd decided on a hospital birth as the hospital is a 3 hour drive away. We headed off when the contractions were every 5 minutes and I was 2cm. My plan had been not to have an epi unless the midwife recommended it.
When I arrived at hospital the midwife there said just by the intensity length and how far apart my contractions were I must be in transition and baby would be born in an hour or two. However I was only 2.5 cms. I was using a tens and gas and air.

My baby was facing the wrong way too which makes everything more painful (perhaps I have a low pain threshold too ).

Fast forward 6 hours and I'm only 4cms. I was nauseous and vomiting too.

Once that epi was in I could rest. The pain was gone. Before the epi my baby had some distress too but after there was no distress. After 7 pain free hours I was really rested for pushing. I did it on my own...it still really hurt...but baby came in just under two hours. She did get slightly stuck too and I believe if I didn't have the epi I wouldn't have been able to push her out on my own. Also midwife said without pain relief it would have been a three day labour.

Every birth is different. I agree on reading up about your options. I had been determined not to have an epi but it gave me a much better birth experience.

Oooh and I still got my natural high for about a fortnight after.

So when u see women screaming on these programs its abit over the top for T.v? X

Some times its shouting through fear or loss of control, not pain. Labour can be a very anxious time and its easy to become stressed or panicked. I think I had two bits of it being too much the first time - once when I cried when they told me I was 5cm (I was overwhelmed) and again when they tried turning my son. Apart from that I was near enough silent my whole labour. I'm a huge chatterbox and normally very happy to express my displeasure :haha: so it was a surprise that I would become so 'in the zone'. My OH was a little disturbed by it and kept asking if I was asleep!!

Yes thats a good point that it doesn't matter what your personality type is, its no sign of how you will labour. I'm very quiet and withdrawn and totaly expected to internalize my labour. But I found vocalizing to really help me through the contractions, and I remember telling my midwife during my first labour that I sounded like a dying goose :rofl:

Thank you. Yeah especially with your first one i guess you have no idea whats normal and what feels normal.

thanks for your epidural story. Im guessing yours faded so you can feel to push. Ive heard lots of positive epidural stories and a few not so good. Sounds like it helped you alot. Thanks for sharing your experiences xx

Hi Laura. I didn't think to write that I couldn't feel the contractions to know when to push. At least I remember being concerned that I needed to pick thw moment exactly so I asked midwife to feel my stomach and tell me. I don't think I could have pushed as well as I did though without the rest beforehand. I forgot all about that until you mentioned it. But overall the epidural made it into a more positive experience.

My baby was facing the wrong way so this pregnancy I am looking into exercises as the pregnancy progresses to get the baby facing the right way. I'm also going to try hypnobirthing. I'll go into this labour with the same mind.. if my labour means I need an epidural I'll have one again but I'll try some different things to help me with my labour I suppose.

I just had my first 2 months ago and had an epidural. Pushing went fast, 20 mins! and I didn't feel a bit of it which I loved because I was calm and communicating well with everyone the whole time :)

I was also scared of being sick, I don't handle being sick very well. I had gas and air and had no problems, didn't feel sick at all. I found the birthing pool great for the pain, although I didn't get to give birth in the water. I ended up with a ventouse and episiotamy. I had very strong contractions close together straight away and pushed for 4 hours and I found it less painful than I expected but much harder work than expected.

Do whatever works for you at the time but try to go into the whole experience with a positive mindset. You can do it, you will get baby out safely and happily and you will have a wonderful birth.

Thank you. I might pluck up the courage to try the gas and air. Did you wear a long t shirt in the pool? Xx

I wore a bikini top. Personally I hate the feeling of wet clothes stuck to me but wanted a bit of coverage

I stripped off and jumped in with nothing on! Couldn't stand clothes when I was in labour! I took a vest top to wear but I have heard since a bikini top or tankini top is better as they are more comfortable to wear when they're wet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->