thinking if buying a mei tai.. Some questions..

spacecadet

1st time mum
Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm hoping to get a mei tai baby carrier so far I've had a peanutshell sling but now baby is getting a bit big for it (I think I got it in too small a size) so I'm excited about getting it, but have a couple of questions:
Firstly will it be suitable for a 1 year old toddler who weight 18 lbs? Also I must admit I've always been nervous about having a baby on my Back as can't see them etc how do u manage with this? I saw a lady with a tiny baby on her back the other day in a really busy shop in town trying to get in a packed lift and I must admit I was terrified the baby was going to get squished...
Anyway going to look on eBay for a cheap one, just wondered if anyone could share their experiances of this? Am I just being a paranoid worrier as usual??
Thank you xx

I did think they were quite popular amongst the ladies in this section?? Oh well have just bid for one on eBay anyway- I'm far too impatient...
Any comments or opinions would be great? :(

anyone??
sorry i am soooooo impatient - just getting a bit excited its nearly ended on ebay and im the highest bidder :happydance:

i suppose having a baby on your back makes you extra aware of what behind you at all times?

:)

Hey!!! Sorry no-one has got back to you! Which one did you get on eBay :)?

In answer to your question, they are meant to be great for bigger babies and toddlers (I say meant to be as my baby is still small at 6 months) but I know plenty of people on here who carry bigger ones (lauriech, mommyof3co, princessellie - there are loads more too). Back carries take some practice (just the putting on) but it makes the baby feel even more weightless and some even prefer it to a front carry (mine being one). You will love it!

Also, if you are really bothered you can even get a sling mirror, which you tie to the strap then use like a rear view mirror! Or just tie any small mirror on. And yes, you are super aware that there is a baby there! I find myself checking in a lot of shop windows, lol. I think it only gets easier as your baby gets a bit bigger, so you will be fine.

thanks!!
sorry it taken me so long to reply after pestering so much :blush:
i bidded on a babyhawk but didnt get it..:cry:
oh well i might buy one brand new instead so i get to choose a cool pattern! it will be an early chrimbo pressie now!!
cant wait!! :)

Oh no sorry you didn't get it! Yeah I think babyhawks look fab, I would love a custom one, they have so many nice fabrics to choose from I think it would take me forever to pick! Hope you find one you like!

thank you i really like yours! just put some pics up on 'lets see you babywearing' will post a piccie up of the new one when it arrives!

Heya,

sorry you didnt get many replies....i was also gonna suggest the sling mirrors for back carrying.

When i was travelling in asia all mothers, sisters auties carry their kiddies on thier back. I suppose its the most practical thing to do when you need to get on with things, plus bubby gets a better view of the world as theyre not constantly having to crane thier neck

Depending on the age of the child you migth want to consider a toddler hawk to carry a larger child.

xxx

hi, sorry you dodnt get may replies originally - i would definately recommend a BH they are loely - i just sold mine as i want a more girly one!! i cannot comment on back carries as mu Bug is still too small and i woudnt feel very safe having her on by back at the moment - hope you manage to sift through all the gorgeous fabrics BH have and find your perfect BH :)

sara

xxxxxxx

Mei Tais are great!!! I love mine!!! But I also really recommend Pods, which are v similar but no waist straps....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->