Thinking of going back to the gym

cskme_

Reaction score
Before I got pregnant I was going to the gym almost every day, I was on a huge health kick and lost 30 lbs. I was down to 168, I'm now almost 14 weeks and I'm at 176. I want to stop this excessive weight gain, I have been eating everything in sight and I know that if I start going again i will feel more motivated to watch my calorie consumption. I'm no longer feeling sick but I am always tired, hopeful that excercise will help with that. Is there anyone out there in the same situation as me, I'm so terrified to gain the weight that I lost before. I would like to stay in a healthy range. Any suggestions on workouts I should be trying ?

I worked out very regularly before pregnancy and watched what I ate. I lost weight and kept it off for 10 years. Since being pregnant I tried and tried to get back into it but so far I'm failing miserably. I don't think at this point I'll go back to regular exercise until baby is here. I walk with the dog every day for two hours so that gets my steps in (I do wear a fitbit) and gets me fresh air. Unfortunately my fur baby has been recovering from surgery and the last two weeks haven't been active.

As far as good prenatal exercise - if you have a DaileyMethod or BarMethod, those are great. They're expensive but worth it. I did DaileyMethod for almost two years and will go back. Alternatively yoga or lots of walking. There are prenatal exercise videos available on almost all workout stations too.

I have been super fit and healthy when not pregnant. When I'm pregnant, I'm just tired and lack energy & motivation.

I exercised this time til about 7 weeks pregnant and then sickness kicked in until 12 weeks.

I'm now just over 22 weeks, but just started exercising again. Walking mostly, and some light weights.

Thanks guys, honestly I think I'm just hopeful about getting into a real gym routine again. I'm way too tired after work, I also have a dog and I take him for short walks, he doesn't need much as he's a great dane and has no energy either lol. but maybe I will try walking him for longer, he doesn't mind walking long distances. I stopped wearing my fitbit because it was making me feel guilty, I don't log my calorie consumption and I probably don't even walk half the amount of steps that I used to.

Yes terrified. Before my first pregnancy I had lost 60 pounds. I managed to get within spitting distance of my pre-preg weight only to gain 10 lbs while weaning. I'm already up 12 lbs at week 14.

Exercise is great not only to help with weight gain but also just to help you feel better. Listen to your body and drink plenty of fluids. GO for it!

Yes-- go back to the gym! Just build up slowly. Like, VERY slowly.

I ran a half marathon while 28 weeks pregnant with baby 2. And honestly, it was so dumb. I put so much pressure on myself to do it, to keep up with my pre-pregnancy routine. I read all these blogs of super moms who ran through pregnancy and only slowed down at like 41 weeks. I was so hard on myself. And the marathon was excruciating. Just awful! This time I'm walking a lot and pushing a stroller/carrying kids and that is enough. More than enough.

Also 8 lbs at 14 weeks is not excessive!

aw thanks guys. I used to be so obsessive over what I eat, and now I eat so freely that I keep thinking its not a normal amount of weight, that this weight is not from being pregnant but just from eating. Sometimes I wonder when I crave onion rings if its really from pregnancy or if I'm just being a fata**. lol. Anyways I'll have lots of time off work later on hopefully I'll have some time to really work out how I want to again!

im in the same situation but not excersise is almost impossible with the ligament pain i get i can hardly move which in turn sets of braxton hicks. it sucks big time but im really trying not to get depressed about it. there is only so much i can do. all the best with your pregnancy.

Mee!!

I am currently 14 weeks.

pre pregnancy I was at about 157lbs, working out 4-5 times per week, and about 12-14k steps.
Now, I am at about 164 ish, working out zilch times per week, but walking about 11k steps.

I am also now on iron tablets! grrr, first tri was tough. Really bad fatigue and sickness/nausea, and only eating helped. I am trying to sort out my diet, but I am still eating a lot more food than I did before pregnancy.
Just today I did a mini warm up and some squats, and it wasn't even much but my legs already feel a bit of the burn. i am definitely planning to begin working out, but taking my time.
I usually do strength, so I am thinking to do bodyweight and lighter weights, just so my body doesn't go into 'shock' after about two months of doing very little. And I am a bit concerned about feeling like death with doms afterwards!
But yeah I am in the same boat as you!

Mee!!

I am currently 14 weeks.

pre pregnancy I was at about 157lbs, working out 4-5 times per week, and about 12-14k steps.
Now, I am at about 164 ish, working out zilch times per week, but walking about 11k steps.

I am also now on iron tablets! grrr, first tri was tough. Really bad fatigue and sickness/nausea, and only eating helped. I am trying to sort out my diet, but I am still eating a lot more food than I did before pregnancy.
Just today I did a mini warm up and some squats, and it wasn't even much but my legs already feel a bit of the burn. i am definitely planning to begin working out, but taking my time.
I usually do strength, so I am thinking to do bodyweight and lighter weights, just so my body doesn't go into 'shock' after about two months of doing very little. And I am a bit concerned about feeling like death with doms afterwards!
But yeah I am in the same boat as you!

I have to take iron tablets as well! and just found out I have hypothyroidism, I guess it was just brought on by pregnancy, since I never had an issue with my thyroid before. they gave me a pill to take daily so that should help with my metabolism and fatigue eventually. Either way, like you I just got over my M/S a while ago, I was eating terrrrrrrribly during first tri but I am just starting to eat healthier, although I am eating a lot more.
I need to try to eat a little less. Every night I go to bed full and I feel like a cow lol. I am too tired to exercise at night so I am just being a blob. I'm going to attempt eating a little less at night and hopefully I feel a bit better about myself lol. Good luck to you! Are you due on Nov 16th?!

Just remember to be easy on yourself. I know it feels like it can't all be bay weight gain, but your body is retaining a lot more water. The amount of tissue that goes into the uterus and placenta is crazy. I couldn't believe how big the placenta was when they showed it to me. You body is pumping a lot more blood as well.

Last pregnancy I ran until 28 weeks and ended up putting too much pressure on my bladder so I had to stop that. I did really enjoy continuing to hike until the week before I delivered.

Do what you enjoy. Eat as healthy as you can. Don't beat yourself up over the pounds. Life is too short and you cannot control everything your body will do during pregnancy.

Hell that's probably one of the worst parts of pregnancy is feeling so out of control of your own body.

Just wait until your baby is kicking you in the ribs while hiccuping into your cervix. Fun times >.<

Aww thanks Nikko!
I do enjoy hiking and walking the trails in the valley here on weekends. Pretty much every Friday evening/Saturday and sunday are all exercise for me as it has been so nice and warm here lately and DH and I love being outside and taking my pup to the dog park.
At least I'm getting lots of weekend exercise... although weekends are probably when I eat the poorest. As you said I will try not to be so hard on myself. Its very tough after being sooo proud of myself for my weight loss. I guess it gives me motivation to lose it again in the future!

I have to take iron tablets as well! and just found out I have hypothyroidism, I guess it was just brought on by pregnancy, since I never had an issue with my thyroid before. they gave me a pill to take daily so that should help with my metabolism and fatigue eventually. Either way, like you I just got over my M/S a while ago, I was eating terrrrrrrribly during first tri but I am just starting to eat healthier, although I am eating a lot more.
I need to try to eat a little less. Every night I go to bed full and I feel like a cow lol. I am too tired to exercise at night so I am just being a blob. I'm going to attempt eating a little less at night and hopefully I feel a bit better about myself lol. Good luck to you! Are you due on Nov 16th?!

Oh, how are you dealing with hypothyroidism?

That's good you are eating healthier, I think it's heaps better to eat healthy and lots of it, rather than unhealthy and lots of that!

Yeah I totally get that cow feeling, mooooo! normally I am very good, I wont deny myself the odd treat, but that's what it was, an odd treat!!

Well, I am kind of ignoring my due date, going by my lmp I am due 15 or 16th, but my datng scan shows 13th Nov. But I don't really care for the them, as I just keep my babies in for much longer. I am seriously hoping that it happens naturally for me this time though and not too much later!

Oh yeah, I did my first upper body work out today! I have felt over the moon since.
Have you managed to try anything since?

The medication she gave me seems to be working for the hypothyroidism. Only assuming this because I've had a bit more energy lately. (That could also be because I'm in 2nd tri now but who knows)

This is my first, I'm measuring a week ahead so the doctor said i am now due nov 11th but I'll stick to the 16th for now lol.

And honestly no I haven't tried anything at all! Work has been super busy and draining lately so hopefully after it calms down a bit and my paperwork is less piled up maybe I will be more motivated to actually try. That's so good for you though! I miss the feeling after a good work out. Your mind and body feel great! I'm definitely going to go back at it again but for the next couple of weeks I'm just going to allow my energy levels to go back up before I try anything lol

Yeah, you do what feels right. I might have to put my exercise on hold this week as it's a super busy week for me this week, and I don't think my body will be able to manage exercise on top.

I've just taken a break after cleaning my bathroom! heh!

I'm glad to hear you have a little more energy, makes life that much more 'normal'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->