Thinking of temping, is it worth doing? Any tips for me?

rebeccalouise

Reaction score
I'm thinking of temping, as I'm not sure if I'm even ovulating anymore! My cycles are all over the place. I've got a thermometer, but other than that I don't really know where to start..

What time of day do I take my temp, do I read from my mouth or underarm?

Tia. :)

You need to temp when you first wake up in the morning. Like before you get out of bed or do anything (you don't want a lot of movement as it can alter the temp). Some people keep their thermometer underneath their pillow. I kept mine on the headboard as mine would end up on the floor, underneath the bed if I did lol

You have to temp at the same time every day. So you'll have to pick a time that you can do every day. This includes the weekends / days off (set alarm and then go back to sleep). A little bit in either direction are fine, but you want to be as close to the same time as possible. My usual temping time was 5:45. Some mornings I had to be up a little earlier, so those mornings I temped at 5:35 which was only 1 or 2 days a week (same days each week).

It sounds like a pain, but it usually becomes second nature pretty quickly. There would be nights that I'd wake up at 2 am and would just automatically grab my thermometer and temp. When I'd go to put it in my chart, I'd realize what time it was and would just go back to sleep.

For accuracy purposes, you need at least 3 hours of consecutive sleep, but 5 hours is ideal. You can still temp if you've had less, but it just won't be as accurate.

You can temp either orally or vaginally. Vaginally, I believe, is most accurate, but most temp orally. Some switch to vaginal if they find their oral temps to be too erratic.

Some things that can alter the accuracy of your results: temping at different times, not getting enough sleep, drinking the night before (though this can vary person to person), and some other sleeping conditions, etc.

It sounds like a lot, but I think I adjusted to temping pretty quickly. It wasn't my favorite thing to be doing, but I feel like it was very helpful in gaining an idea of my cycle.

You need to temp when you first wake up in the morning. Like before you get out of bed or do anything (you don't want a lot of movement as it can alter the temp). Some people keep their thermometer underneath their pillow. I kept mine on the headboard as mine would end up on the floor, underneath the bed if I did lol

You have to temp at the same time every day. So you'll have to pick a time that you can do every day. This includes the weekends / days off (set alarm and then go back to sleep). A little bit in either direction are fine, but you want to be as close to the same time as possible. My usual temping time was 5:45. Some mornings I had to be up a little earlier, so those mornings I temped at 5:35 which was only 1 or 2 days a week (same days each week).

It sounds like a pain, but it usually becomes second nature pretty quickly. There would be nights that I'd wake up at 2 am and would just automatically grab my thermometer and temp. When I'd go to put it in my chart, I'd realize what time it was and would just go back to sleep.

For accuracy purposes, you need at least 3 hours of consecutive sleep, but 5 hours is ideal. You can still temp if you've had less, but it just won't be as accurate.

You can temp either orally or vaginally. Vaginally, I believe, is most accurate, but most temp orally. Some switch to vaginal if they find their oral temps to be too erratic.

Some things that can alter the accuracy of your results: temping at different times, not getting enough sleep, drinking the night before (though this can vary person to person), and some other sleeping conditions, etc.

It sounds like a lot, but I think I adjusted to temping pretty quickly. It wasn't my favorite thing to be doing, but I feel like it was very helpful in gaining an idea of my cycle.

Thank you very much, that's really helpful! :) X

I've just started temping too Rebecca. If aunt flo visits me on time this month, we can be newbie temping buddies together

I've just started temping too Rebecca. If aunt flo visits me on time this month, we can be newbie temping buddies together

Sounds like a good plan! I hope AF doesn't get you though hun. :dust: x

I've temped for quite a while now. I find it fascinating to see what my body does. I kind of wish I knew about all this before TTC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->