Third Trimester Travel - Advice Needed

Peanut2020

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Wondered if anyone could help. I’m currently 9 weeks pregnant and living in spain. We planned to come back on 10th September and I would be roughly 32 weeks by then. I’m due first week of Nov.

This is my first pregnancy and we are driving home which will take roughly 3 days including an overnight ferry with two dogs in tow.

Do you think it’s stupid or risky leaving it this late to come home? When do you think it would be a good idea to travel back?

I obviously have no idea how I’m going to feel at this point and we haven’t yet told the family so haven’t had advice from them.

Need to book our ferry in advance and don’t know what to do.

Thanks I’m advance xxx

Hi! Congratulations!

It will be uncomfortable, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Just be sure you have plenty of room and creature comforts and plan to stop to both potty but also just move.

My only concern is check the ferry policies. Some ferries will not allow women 32 weeks and over to board. Generally, ferries are pretty steady. But I know my gyn did not give me an ok to get on either a ferry or (whale watching) boat after 32 weeks. Some companies feel more confident than others in their abilities to accommodate heavily pregnant. But it boils down to their liability. So I’d call the ferry line or check their policies.

I wouldn’t leave the move much later than 32 weeks. Not just for level of comfort, but also it gives you some time in your new home to get things settled before baby arrives.

Last edited:
I've always been told not to travel long distances if I can at all avoid it after 32 weeks if driving and no flying after 30 weeks. But I was also a high risk pregnancy patient and am prone to complications so that played into my doctor's advice.

If I've had to be in a vehicle for long periods of time, the doctor suggested we stop every hour or so so I could get out and walk around for a few minutes. Sitting for long periods of time, especially the further along you get, increases the chances of developing a blood clot in your legs and the walking every hour helps prevent that. I'd also invest in a set of compression stockings for your trip home as they can also help prevent blood clots. And as the previous poster suggested, check the ferry company's policy on pregnant women so you can plan accordingly. I'd also ask your doctor or midwife for their thoughts.

I would check with your doctor or midwife as they will be able to advise you best :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->