This is awful....

misspriss

Reaction score
I have a horrible nasty chest cold. I'm on day 3, and the cough is killing me. My entire abdomen hurts so bad every time I cough.. Everything I have read says the cough will probably stick around 2-3 weeks. 2-3 weeks?!? I'm on day 3 and I'm dying....

My doctor said both dextromethorphan and guaifenesin are both considered safe during pregnancy, at least in the 2nd/3rd trimesters. I have not been taking it all the time, but when it gets bad and at night I have. I'm in this much pain even with the medicine!

I really just needed a moan....

I feel your pain! I had the flu and a cold and was rear ended this pregnancy!!!! It wont last forever just feel like it

Thanks. My throat just feels so raw too...i am about to go to bed and I am dreading it as lying down all day has made me feel so much worse.

Oh no! Sorry to hear you're miserable. :( hope it passes quicker than expected. ( my last pregnancy I had a cold which was like 4-5 days but my terrible cough persisted for another 3 weeks...... I was in middle of third tri it was not easy). So I know how hard it is to survive and also have to take care of a young toddler on top of it all. Hugs girl! Hopefully your body can kick it soon, and hope you get some relief from what your doctor says is ok to take.

I've never been sicker in my life than I have been this winter this pregnancy. Nasty stuff going around, hopefully this one is quick for ya, but you can vent to me! BEING SICK SUCKS

Try hot water with honey and lemon juice for the cough/throat. It has always really helped me. I just got a cold or sinus infection, but luckily the cough has stayed away. Hope you feel better soon!

I had this a few weeks go as well and it was definitely not fun. I didn't wait it out for three weeks though, I had a midwife appointment and a consultant appointment and they both said that it sounded like I needed antibiotics so I went to my GP and it turned out I had a chest and throat infection and he told me I shouldn't have waited as long to see him.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Well, DH went in and got antibiotics for it, and he is not doing any better than me. I am pretty sure it is viral. That and with my GBS test coming up, I really don't want to upset all the bacteria in my body by just wiping the slate clean.

I've been sipping herbal pregnancy tea, I'll try adding honey (we don't have any lemon, unfortunately). It helps, at least temporarily.

Cough medicine keeps me quiet all night, so I do get sleep, but this morning I woke up feeling just awful. I feel like if I talk, I'm going to lose my voice. I definitely don't feel I can raise my voice.

So my MIL has been coming to help me out, DH is probably going to go to work today, and she texts me she has been running a fever and throwing up all night last night! We just can't win this month...

Why do docs give antibiotics for colds?! So frustrating.

Try adding a neti pot to your routine and drinking a spoon or an ounce of apple cider vinegar. Those are my go-to moves for colds.

I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks. I don't think a lot of people get it, colds are almost always caused by viruses.

My ped's office has a recording you listen to every time you call "The common cold is almost always caused by a virus, although antibiotics are powerful medicines, they cannot do anything for a virus"...over and over again.

I call the OB, and the staff asks if I've seen my PCP yet, I said no, it's just a cold. She then replied well they could give you some antibiotics!....

Oh this just sucks, I am miserable and am feeling like I always get the short end of the stick.

DH was sick all week, and I went to work. No biggie, we needed the money. His mom came over and took care of DS so he could rest and even helped with the housework and stuff. Today DH was going to do his first day back at work, I woke up more miserable than ever....to a text message that MIL has been up all night puking and running a fever. Great. We just can't win here! Not only does it suck that she is sick, but that means I have the baby all day to myself. Okay no biggie...except DH wouldn't get up and watch the baby this morning, so I had to get up early and watch the baby alone all day.

DS fought his nap so hard today, I wanted to nap with him so bad but by the time I got him to sleep I couldn't anymore and I had heartburn from lunch at that point. Add to all the discomfort of being sick, my heartburn has been horrendous this week, it's like the coughing and irritation makes it worse or something. Maybe my imagination.

It's just a horrible day. There is no way I'm going to work tomorrow. DH has to though, all day, so it's going to be another miserable day. No help for me.

I feel your pain :hugs:

I had a nasty cough right at the end of my second pregnancy. I would cough and cough and cough until I dry heaved and then I'd pee myself. I have never been so miserable.

Have you tried a humidifier with some vicks liquid in? That helps move a chesty cough....

Hope you feel better soon :flow:

I feel your pain :hugs:

I had a nasty cough right at the end of my second pregnancy. I would cough and cough and cough until I dry heaved and then I'd pee myself. I have never been so miserable.

Have you tried a humidifier with some vicks liquid in? That helps move a chesty cough....

Hope you feel better soon :flow:

Yeah we run the vaporizer every night, just plain water though haven't tried it with anything in it.

I slept without medicine last night, I took some in the evening and I found it was giving me disrupted/not good sleep, so I just didn't take it after that. I did have to blow my nose and hack a bit every time I got up to pee, but I was able to sleep much better.

I'm hoping for a better day today. Last night, DH came home and took over DS for the rest of the night. I was able to get a nice, long hot bath, get ready and go to bed at the same time as DS, so I slept for 12 hours (broken up by pee/coughing of course).

GOOT - garlic, olive oil, coconut oil. Mince 2-3 fresh cloves of garlic and let soak in 2 tablespoons of each oil and rub on throat, behind ears, soles of feet (and cover with socks), underarms, sinuses, in ears and nose. Excellent anti bacterial and will fight off cold and germs.

Essential oils - lavender, tea tree, peppermint, oregano, eucalyptus, any citrus, etc. You can look them up online to see each use and how to create different blends for different things. I use lavender for just about everything. It's anti-bacterial and calming. You can add a few drops of whatever into the goot mix too for added benefits and protection. You can also get a standard melt warmer or a humidifier and add a few drops in there too to put into the air. The ones i named are safe for pregnancy, but there are a lot of other ones too - just make sure they're good for right now.

Vitamin C - up to 2,000mg. NOW brand is great!

Zinc

Hot tea with honey - i like peppermint or red raspberry

Fruit smoothie - lots of fruit but also lots of fresh spinach or kale and carrots (carrot juice) for lots of vitamins.

Make a salad. Any fresh greens is great for fighting sickness and believe me it will help you feel better for other prego symptoms.

Veggie broth - lots of fresh garlic, onions, potatoes, some olive oil. Let simmer. Sea salt. Fresh herbs - rosemary is good anti-bacterial one.

Apple Cider Vinegar - drink a 'shot' or two straight or dress a salad. Adding a little bit of honey will make it easier going down if you're not a fan. I like Braggs brand best. It has live mother culture.

A tablespoon or two of raw honey mixed with cinnamon.

That's all I can think of right now. I started getting a cold last week.... earache and sore throat. I only had it for one miserable night. I drenched myself in oils and drank lots of tea and continually blew/coughed up all the icky stuff. I was almost over it the next day.

And having someone deep massage oils into the soles of your feet would be great. It goes directly into the bloodstream that way.

Thanks Moonbear! I'm going to have to print that and keep it handy. Unfortunately most of those things would require a shopping trip to a specialty store, I don't have a bunch of oils on hand.

I've been doing honey in tea, it's very helpful. Yesterday I was a lot better. I would probably be back at work today, but MIL has the D&V (still) :nope:....we just can't win!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->