This is ridiculously far away, but...

I think cut off dates are different here in uk. Our cut of is 31 aug so sept babies are the oldest. Ds has a boy in his class who turned 4 day before school started so september babies are almost a year older than summer babies.

I think cut off dates are different here in uk. Our cut of is 31 aug so sept babies are the oldest. Ds has a boy in his class who turned 4 day before school started so september babies are almost a year older than summer babies.

Yes, they are.... Cut off in Canada is January 1st. I taught in the UK for two years.... Definitely wish we could adopt some of their stuff... Like the school year and cut off dates! Lol

As a school psychologist who works with children with various learning/developmental issues all I can say is each kid is different. In my personal experience, kids who are 4 years old in Kindergarten typically struggle more than if they wait an extra year and start kindergarten when they are 5 years old. My son who turns 5 in September will be going to Kindergarten when he's 5 - even if cognitively he can handle the work I am more concerned about his emotional/behavioural maturity. But again, each child is different. And to answer your questions - it's not too early to be thinking about these things!!!

Don't worry! I started kindergarten at 4, graduated high school at 17 and I'm doing excellent in college (almost finished too). With the right direction and encouragement your child is going to be okay either way. You thinking about things like this so early just shows how involved you are - absolutely nothing to worry about! My brothers both started at 5, one is doing great; the other not so much. Everyone learns at a different pace, that one year doesn't make too much of a difference developmentally.
And hey, if they start at 4 and have to get held back for any reason their graduation would end up being right on time! :)

I know a lot of concern is the social aspect in the younger years, but I NEVER felt like I didn't belong in my grade. I was even in a very unstable environment; I went to three different schools just in elementary. Kids make friends. Being a year younger than everyone had absolutely no negative impact on me socially or academically.

The ONE annoying thing was turning 21 a year after all my friends... haha.. but that's a whole different thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->