This is sad..read at own risk!!!

Peroxide would cause more serious damage than dehydration.

ahh this is in saskatchewan.. sounds like something the natives would do. i can't beleive that they arn't doing anything about it. makes me very unhappy living in canada when I hear about shit like this...

Sorry having trouble believing that - Peroxide is toxic - presuming it is hdrogen peroxide
Hydrogen Peroxide :
Effects on Humans: Hydrogen peroxide is an irritant of the eyes, mucous membranes, and skin. Inhalation of high concentrations of the vapor or mist may cause extreme irritation of the nose and throat [Hathaway et al. 1991]. The inhalation of 7 ppm causes lung irritation in humans [NLM 1992]. Severe systemic poisoning may cause headache, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, numbness, convulsions, pulmonary edema, unconsciousness, and shock. Exposure for a short period of time to the mist or spray may cause stinging and tearing of the eyes [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Splashes of high concentrations of hydrogen peroxide in the eyes may cause severe corneal damage. At very low concentrations (1 to 3 percent), instillation of hydrogen peroxide into the eye causes severe pain that later subsides [Grant 1986]. Skin contact with liquid hydrogen peroxide causes a temporary whitening or bleaching of the skin; if the skin is not washed promptly, redness and blisters may develop. Ingestion of hydrogen peroxide may cause irritation of the upper gastrointestinal tract and severe damage to the esophagus and stomach [Hathaway et al. 1991]. Hydrogen peroxide has caused DNA damage in in vitro human test systems [NIOSH 1995]...

Surely the hosp would know what is going on, and as for the soap up the bum that would just be an irritant and make them poo.

Hope to god that someone has just got things wrong.

I also think this is baloney. In fact, I think this is an urban myth.
I heard a story very similar to this a few years ago and it was targeting natives on a reserve in Alberta.
This would absolutely be in the news if it were true and social services would have stepped in if this were the case. There is no way that any hospital would allow this sort of thing to go unreported - it's against the law. If they even suspect child abuse they have to report it and get authorities involved. They are legally obligated to do so.
Also, to support the peroxide argument: I know someone personally who did very foolishly try to give herself a peroxide enema to cure her Crohn's disease and she eroded the lining of her colon so badly that she was hemorraging. A baby given peroxide orally would have terrible damage to the mouth, esophagus, and every other mucus membrane the stuff came in contact with. They would not be picked up at the end of the weekend to go back to the home that did that to them. They'd be in serious condition in the hospital for a very long time. And the person who did it would be charged with assault.
I seriously doubt the truthfulness of this story.
Sorry.

ahh this is in saskatchewan.. sounds like something the natives would do. i can't beleive that they arn't doing anything about it. makes me very unhappy living in canada when I hear about shit like this...

Sweetie, I don't want to jump on you, as a story like this does bring an emotional response, but I think you need to be careful saying "sounds like something the natives would do". I know that there is a lot of poverty and abuse that happens on the reserves, but to generalize an entire race of people as being child abusers is not fair and it's not accurate. In fact, that's how racism rears its ugly head.
As I said above, I doubt the story is even true, but I feel quite strongly that making a comment like that isn't appropriate. Sorry, but I couldn't let that one pass.

Sweetie, I don't want to jump on you, as a story like this does bring an emotional response, but I think you need to be careful saying "sounds like something the natives would do". I know that there is a lot of poverty and abuse that happens on the reserves, but to generalize an entire race of people as being child abusers is not fair and it's not accurate. In fact, that's how racism rears its ugly head.
As I said above, I doubt the story is even true, but I feel quite strongly that making a comment like that isn't appropriate. Sorry, but I couldn't let that one pass.

I agree with Sarahkka - but she put it better than I might have done.

One - the story is unfounded. If this was happening social services would have stepped in with the first case. Medical staff are obliged to notify them of cases of abuse, which this would absolutely be.

two- if this story is not true, which is very likely, then propagating it does nothing but disturb people, particularly pregnant women. Do we really need to have these sort of images in our minds while we are growing our little ones?

three - the comment about it being something that people of a certain race would do is completely unacceptable.

I think this must be the worst kind of 'propaganda' serving only the meanest and unhealthiest of purposes. (I've come across similar stuff before where the intention was basically to de-humanize and demonize black africans by spreading horrific and untrue stories of baby abuse.)

I am sorry if I sound harsh, I just feel very strongly. I know it is very emotive and I can't just read and run on this one. I wish I hadn't clicked on it, but now that I have, I have to be honest in my response.

Any chance the mods could lock or delete this thread, its not a nice thing to read and also if there is nothing to back it up it is all hearsay..
Some mums will find this very upsetting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->