Thomas Matthew Hughes, 22/02/2009, Home birth

P

pinkmummy

Well where to start...

I was due on Thursday 19th February. I had an appointment arranged with the midwife for a check up. I didn't think I would go over due as I was early with Caitlin but how wrong was I! Anyway midwife came out and agreed to give me a sweep to try and get things going over the weekend.

After I had my sweep I was getting 'period type pains' all day. Managed to get some sleep that night on and off. Was the same all day Friday. Pains weren't regular but they did hurt.

On Saturday morning I phoned the midwife to see what she thought I should do. She advised me to take it easy all day, she said to have a bath and potter about the house all day and relax.

We had already promised to take Caitlin to the swings so we walked down to my nanas first. My nana said that it looked as though I had 'dropped' since she'd seen me on Thursday. We walked to the butchers and got some sandwiches and then took Caitlin to the swings. I had my TENS machine on and was getting pains the whole time.

Got back home and had a nice hot bath and me and Caitlin got into our jim jams for the afternoon. Was still getting pains all afternoon but they weren't getting closer or regular.

By 8pm I was exhausted, I couldn't sleep and wanted to know what was going on. Phoned the midwife and she came out about 8.30pm - 9pm. She checked me and said that I was 3cm dialated but I was still not 'in labour'. She told me to have a bath, get something to eat and go to bed. She said I had keytones in my urine and needed to continue eating and drinking to keep my strength up.

Went to sleep around 10.30pm and woke at 12.30am with pains, managed to go back to sleep at 1am but woke again at 2pm with pains. Decided that I would get up and bounce on my ball to try and get things going and get some food. Got Chris to put my TENS machine on and off I went.

Started timing my contractions and they were every 5 -6 minutes and lasting 45 seconds. So I phoned the labour ward who then contacted my midwife. Midwife phoned me and said she would come out and check what was happening.

Midwife arrived at about 4am and checked me. She said I was 4-5cm and that I was in labour :happydance: Woke Chris up and told him this was it. He came downstairs and had some breakfast then midwife told him to go back to bed and get some sleep as it was gonna be a while yet and she was there if I needed anything.

Me and the midwife sat talking and drinking tea and watching Harry Potter lol.

By 7.30am the pains were 3 in every 10 minutes or so and were alot stronger, they were stopping me in my tracks.

Caitlin had woken up so I went up stairs and got her ready, woke Chris up and we all came downstairs.

Midwife examined me at 8am and said I was 5-6cm and that I was progressing but slowly. I explained to her about my birth with Caitlin and how it was my waters that slowed things down and as soon as they had been broken labour kicked off.

She phoned the other midwife to come out and explained it all to her. They agreed to check me at 10am and break my waters if I hadn't progressed much.

9.30am my mum came and picked Caitlin up. When they went midwife examined me. She said I was only 6cm and they were gonna break my waters.

After they broke my waters the contractions started getting intense so we broke into the gas and air. Absolutely brilliant stuff :cloud9: haha.

Midwife had me marching up and down the stairs to get contractions going properly!

By 12pm midwfie decided to check me. She said i was 8-9cm but then they were saying something about they could still feel my cervix and they were trying to 'hook it around' or something lol. After I stood up from the check I felt the urge to push. I was stood up and pushing through my contractions. I got onto my knees and leaned on the couch for support with my TENS in one hand and the gas and air in the other lol. All I could do was push.

It all went very quick from this part, all I remember was pushing and I could feel his head coming down, the midwife had to ask me to stop pushing because it all happened so fast he nearly shot out! :shock:

I pushed his head out and then he slid out 1 minute later at 12.17pm :)

It was absolutely amazing and even the midwifes were suprised at how quick he was at the end. She told me today that they had to tell me to stop pushing as it had all happened so quick they weren't ready and that if I had carried on pushing I probably would have torn.

He was weighed in at 7lb 6oz. We were both taken upstairs and into the bath, after that we were both tucked up in bed with daddy too while the midwifes went downstairs and cleared everything away :)

It was absolutely amazing and I loved every minute of it. I would do it again in a heartbeat at home as it was just so relaxing :) If I was to have any more I would DEFINATELY have a home birth as it was teh most amazing experience :)

So there we have it, Thomas Matthew Hughes was born on Sunday 22nd February, 3 days late, weighing 7lb 6oz at home :)

Here's a few piccies :)

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/kutiekelly2004/DSCF3497.jpg

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/kutiekelly2004/DSCF3504.jpg

https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/kutiekelly2004/DSCF3509.jpg

Congratulations sweetie - and well done! He's just so gorgeous :hug:
xxx

Your birth story is so inspiring, glad you had an amazing home birth.
Lovely pictures too xx

Congratulations and well done. He is bootiful xx

congrats!! sounds like you had an amazing birth experience!! :hugs:
P.S is Thomas ever a cutie!

Congrats and well done hun, hes gorgeous, lovely little family u have there :hugs:

Yay another homebirther!!
Its an amazing experience isnt it.

What a lovely birth story xxxxxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back