Those who have had their baby christened...

Leanne&Bump..x

Mam of Karl & a Pup x
Reaction score
Im just curious about the price?
How much does the average christening cost? I want to set myself a budget so i dont go overboard.
How much did you pay for your LO's christening, and what celebrations did you have afterwards?
Thankss :)

You don't pay for a christening (not where I live anyway), but it's nice to give the priest a few bob afterwards (think my Dad gave him £20).

We just went for a meal afterwards as there were only a handful of us there, but some people hire a hall and have a big party.

I'll just be doing the small meal thing again with this baby.

im just arranging tommys now,

the actual christening ceremony doesnt cost anything but the church like you to make a voluntary donation..they also pass the basket/plates around during the ceremony to ask for donations from your guests...the after bit is totally up to you, some people have people back at their house put some food on, others will hire a venue and do their own food, others will go somewhere and have the catering done.

With maddy we hired a hall and i did all the food we had a disco man too but it was ridiculous how many people we had, we must have had 100 people easy...this time there are 40 family and close friends coming and we are going to a nice country pub, they are doing a buffet for us..the prices start at £15 a head and go up to £55!!! (this however is expensive as its an expensive place) i cant really afford it but its where i want so ive saved up....my friend went to another place and they only charged £8 a head so totally varies! I have also ordered a christening cake £40 and some balloons and a big basket of fruit from ediblearrangements so in total ive been ridiculous lol you can do it easily fro next to nothing!

h x

:shrug: i was thinking in the lines of £400. Im not sure though, they charged us 300 for a funeral service, so mabye they will with a christening? Im not sure...i hope its free though, thanks :)

The church is free but you are sort of "expected" to hand over a donation to the church in a sealed envelope straight after the service. We gave £30 I think and £50 the 1st time coz we had Abi and Lauren done togeather.

I had the doo afterwards at home so did the catering myself, we held our Christenings in the summer so we all sat in the garden and the kids all played on the trampoline, swings etc:happydance:

Im just in the middle of organinsing mine
The church service is free, but like others have said, they do like a donation.
Were hiring a hall for after, and doing the catering ourselfs
I am going overboard on decorations, and the cake etc though.

But you can easily do it as cheap as you require

oh I'm so glad you asked this, I thought we'd have to hire the church and preist etc and couldnt afford it!

We were thinking of doing a big party for her first birthday and possibly doing a joint brthday christening thing if we could stretch to it.

oh I'm so glad you asked this, I thought we'd have to hire the church and preist etc and couldnt afford it!

We were thinking of doing a big party for her first birthday and possibly doing a joint brthday christening thing if we could stretch to it.

i was sure up here you do have to pay for the church, unless its different for a funeral.....arghh i dno and i dnt want to ask the prest shes wierd :rofl:

ahh, the birhday/christening is such a good idea, id love to do that but i want a summer christening

We ddnt have to pay for the church, ours was in with the sunday service. Usually another family will have their children christened at the same time,

Than afterwards we hired out the up stairs of a new moddern bar that had opened in town, suprisingly they didnt charge for the room hire and the chef was fantastic he cooked all our food from fresh and only charged per head and didnt charge anything for the kids :)

I think we paid about £170 in all.

x

We're planning the church ceremony, and then a BBQ at our house afterwards. We have a large garden and patio, so it should be nice :) Plus it means we can have lots of friends there without having to worry about the cost.

We didn't have to pay for our's as the others said we just gave a donation,
then we booked our local as me and OH have quite big families. xxx

I didn't think you had to pay for a christening (well the church anyways)

i was sure up here you do have to pay for the church, unless its different for a funeral.....arghh i dno and i dnt want to ask the prest shes wierd :rofl:

ahh, the birhday/christening is such a good idea, id love to do that but i want a summer christening

It is different for funerals. You have to pay for a funeral but you don't have to pay for a christening.

To be honest, I'd expect it to be the other way around!

I know,strange they can charge a funeral but not a christening. oh well thanks alot :happydance: its gona be cheaper than i thought

Thanks for asking this leanne as I was wondering how much it would cost as well. OH wants Charlie christened but we are a bit skint so good to know that it doesn't have to cost a lot of money. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abourne499
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->