Those with a coil fitted...

i didnt think baout it like that, its probs not best too! but tbh if i was that worried i wouldnt have it in and would be pregnant, i would much prefer to do this then worry every month if im pregnant or not x

yeah i hear what you're saying, im just a tad confused now as i know with the pill it stops eggs being released. i really need to think about this one:shrug:

thanks you, i need to read up on this as i wouldnt be happy having it if they are fertilised eggs that are not attaching themselves xx

That was my problem, thats why i went for mirena. It releases hormones to stop egg being released.

I'm worried now as I have the copper one. I've never thought about it that way :(

I've not had any problems with mine so far. My periods have been a little heavier but nothing major.

i mean if I thought about it more deeply, i wouldnt take anything (morally) but thats not wise or advisable but the fact that fertilised eggs are not attaching themselves, i dont know if i like that. I know its probably justa clump of cells at that point, but to think that shortly after it gets a heartbeat, i dono. It must develop a heart beat after its attached?? x

I don't know why I've never thought of it that way. I had no choice but the copper one as hormonal ones just make me bleed constantly :(

no it cant get fertilised, ithink it stops the egg coming down aswell and the ones that do come down it stops them attaching themselfs

this is not true

with both types of coils (hormonal eg mirena and non hormonal eg copper) there is a chance every month that an egg can be fertilised but just not implant

the mirena coil in SOME women stops ovulation but only about 20-30%

in some religions and faiths who don't agree with terminations, they don't allow coils for this reason

coils can also affect the cervical mucous and make it hard for sperm to get through but, at the end of the day, the main reason it works for conrtaception is to stop a fertized egg from implanting

xxx

Is it actually a pregnancy if it doesnt attach to the lining of the womb????? xx

I think i just found the answer;

"It is believed that chemical pregnancies occur when the fetus dies immediately after conception. This happens before the embryo has a chance to implant in your uterus where it can grow and develop."

if you want to be absolutely technical.... there will be some women with the coil who may show a positive pregnancy test just before their period start due to the chemical pregnancy
most just don't check (with a test) as their period comes on time

sad but true
xxx

if you want to be absolutely technical.... there will be some women with the coil who may show a positive pregnancy test just before their period start due to the chemical pregnancy
most just don't check (with a test) as their period comes on time

sad but true
xxx

this is waht i mean, im really not sure if i actually agree with how it works, thanks for all of your replies everyone xx

I don't think they would allow it if all this apparantly goes on :roll:

The copper coil is fine, don't worry about it.

I don't think they would allow it if all this apparantly goes on :roll:

The copper coil is fine, don't worry about it.

i hear what youre saying, but if you look at how it works, essentially it appears to not make the fertilized embryo stick to the lining of the womb so kinda causing a miscarriage. I know thats a bit controversial, but thats why im doing my research and looking into it xx

Extremely controversial and highly upsetting and offensive so i suggest before anyone makes statements like these knowing full well people on this thread have a coil they do some serious research and avoid posting such things.

I suggest you don't do your research on the internet. The internest is full of biased, mixed up crap. You need to talk to a medical professional who knows what they are talking about. I spoke to a midwife, GP, nurse and doctor about this who all assured me this does not happen, and they wouldn't be allowed to carry it out if it did.

As i have previously lost a much wanted baby, i don't appreciate coming onto a thread where people are posting totally unproven statements saying that coils essentially cause a miscarriage.

I think it's very insensitive and unnecessary.

Extremely controversial and highly upsetting and offensive so i suggest before anyone makes statements like these knowing full well people on this thread have a coil they do some serious research and avoid posting such things.

I suggest you don't do your research on the internet. The internest is full of biased, mixed up crap. You need to talk to a medical professional who knows what they are talking about. I spoke to a midwife, GP, nurse and doctor about this who all assured me this does not happen, and they wouldn't be allowed to carry it out if it did.

As i have previously lost a much wanted baby, i don't appreciate coming onto a thread where people are posting totally unproven statements saying that coils essentially cause a miscarriage.

I think it's very insensitive and unnecessary.

im sorry for your loss but there is no need to be rude to me, this is why i said that i need to do my research and no, not via the internet, even im not that thick to know that there a load of bullshit on the net. To be honest I dont know why what i have said has upset you as im saying that i wouldnt want anything harming a possible embryo, so before you fire off, please think about what youre saying.

Not being rude, thats my opinion and i am not sorry for it.

Put yourself in my position, i've lost a baby, have a coil inside me, and i've just read that they essentially work by causing a miscarriage. Which is in no way proven. How would you feel?

Anyway this isn't up for debate with me, just make sure you get some real advice from a medical professional.

like im said, i am really sorry for your loss, i cant even begin to imagine what thats like, im just simply looking at how the coil works before i have one, i might even end up having it,i just need to know how it works before i have one, i know how the pill works but i need to do some research into how the coil works and what ive found out so far by reading medical books and asking people, im not too sure about it. I didnt mean to offend but im not soory for what i have said as im just stating what i have found so far. Take care

This thread has been worrying me a bit. Tbh, I only got the copper one because apart from condoms, it was the only way forward I could see without going down the hormonal route. I'd hate to think that I could be having chemical pregnancies on it after I've already had 3 of those and losing Beau at 21 weeks.

As much as I don't want another baby, I couldn't live with the thought of my contraception causing a fertilised egg not to implant:nope:

I'll have a word with my GP when I'm next there.

Sorry to jump in, thinking of getting the coil also.
I thought it worked by tricking your body into already thinking it was pregnant (or similar) and therefore just not releasing an egg?! Am I completely wrong? :S x

Sorry to jump in, thinking of getting the coil also.
I thought it worked by tricking your body into already thinking it was pregnant (or similar) and therefore just not releasing an egg?! Am I completely wrong? :S x

thats what the pill does and i think, possibly the hormone coil but i shall be asking my GP next time i see him.

The coil works by not allowing the fertilised egg to implant into the lining of your womb, makes your womb unhabitable, it doesnt stop you from releasing eggs (copper coil) xx

I have been posting in this thread

I am a medical professional trained in contraception and my info is from my own education and the NHS guidance not sourced from google and other internet sites.

sorry to the lady who has had a miscarriage and is offended by this thread :hugs:

unfortunately, the coil can cause a fetilized egg not to implant in some circumsatnces, I am very sorry if you are offended by this

Here is a quote from a medical journal... it is medical terms but the bold line basically means that the coil can cause an fertilized egg to be destroyed. Some may think of this as a miscarriage

The scientific findings on the effects of the IUD have evolved through time. In the 1960s, the American Medical Association said that IUDs worked by preventing implantation. [2] In the late 1980s, the World Health Organization and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists stated that the IUD was not an abortifacient. [3] [4] In 1998, Moore and Peraud concluded that the IUD interfered with implantation. [5] In 2002, American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology stated that "although prefertilization effects are more prominent for the copper IUD, both prefertilization and postfertilization mechanisms of action contribute significantly to the effectiveness of all types of intrauterine devices"; and "the major postfertilization effect is destruction of the early embryo in the Fallopian tube." [6]

here is the paper that the info comes from if anyone wants to do there own research

Joseph B. Stanford and Rafael T. Mikolajczyk (2005). "Mechanisms of action of intrauterine devices: Update and estimation of postfertilization effects". American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology

as I have mentioned before, the coil also works by making the cervical mucous hostile to sperm, the lining of the womb unsuitable for implantation and the mirena coil can sometimes stop ovulation.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->