Thoughts on moms that smoke marijuana

Mommadestiny7

Reaction score
Now I know this is a very controversial subject. But I want to know people opinions. I smoked marijuana a lot in high school and of course when I got pregnant I stopped. I have a nine month old now and I'm thinking about smoking again. I have very bad anxiety and sometimes get very stressed out and feel that it would help. I feel that it would give me more patience when it comes to my son and help me relax. I don't need to be judged or anything so if that's what you're hear to do please don't even bother commenting. I'm simply wanting to hear opinions on the matter and if you think it's right or wrong :)

I would say it's not a great idea especially if you are at home and the sole carer at that time for your son even if he's in bed.

I wouldn't drink or do anything that could change my state of mind and clarity of thought unless someone else was looking after my child because I think it's important to be clear minded in case there is an emergency or she wakes up at night.

Some people have a glass of wine or a beer to wind down. I think weed is far better than alcohol, and I don't even smoke it. Honestly I've considered it after a rough day once lo is in bed or my oh is home so I can go outside.

I think it's a bad idea. And that is my opinion!

I would say it's not a great idea especially if you are at home and the sole carer at that time for your son even if he's in bed.

I wouldn't drink or do anything that could change my state of mind and clarity of thought unless someone else was looking after my child because I think it's important to be clear minded in case there is an emergency or she wakes up at night.

I'm against drugs anyway, but this! :thumbup:

My personal opinion is absolutely not. I wholeheartedly disagree with doing anything that affects my mental clarity in any way when my daughter is in my care.

I would suggest seeing your doctor with regards to your anxiety.

I don't see a problem with it. Once LO is in bed, asleep, having SOME isn't really an issue in my eyes. As long as your not smoking so much you pass out. I used to smoke all day, everyday before I fell pregnant. I don't really miss it but am not opposed to having some again now I'm a mum. In my personal opinion if you can't have a normal life and can't help acting like an complete idiot whilst high, then you shouldn't smoke. For things like pain, anxiety, food issues and such, its far better for you than any pharmaceutical. Better than alcohol too and that's completely legal. As long as you aren't stupid about it and you know you're limits, than there really shouldn't be an issue

I would never do anything that could get my child taken away from me. I value her far too much to loose her.

If it isn't something I would do in front of my kids for some sort of a reason, then I probably shouldn't be doing it period.

I wouldn't but my reasoning is it's illegal, I have a glass or two of wine to unwind but again I don't get drunk and my oh is here with me and he doesn't drink really unless we are going out. X

I really think it is a bad idea. Firstly, second hand smoke, no matter whether it is weed or tobacco, is harmful to you or your child. Secondly, it is illegal and if reported by a neighbour etc could get you in trouble with child services. Finally, what happens if as a result of you smoking weed and being "relaxed" you then misjudge situations endangering your child?

There are other ways to help with anxiety. My view on mums that smoke marijuana are that they are careless and lacking in common sense.

I wouldn't. I'm quite an anti drug person, but I'll be honest, I wouldn't drink a glass of wine of an evening either with a very small child. As has been said, I prefer to have a clear head. Instead of thinking about using drugs to wind down and sort anxiety issues, why not look for a therapy that helps, without a mind altering substance. If you are genuinely struggling with some kind of mental issue, then drugs or alcohol isn't the best way forward.

I find people use all sorts of excuses to drink/take drugs in their daily life when there is always an alternative to help you de-stress.

Can I also add, that by asking people if they think it is wrong, you are actually looking for judgement. I answered about what I would do, and I don't judge anyone for choosing to drink or take drugs if they wish. I do, however, think it is a risky thing to do with a small child in your care. Look at it this way, if you are caught driving a car having smoked weed, you would be arrested. If it's dangerous to be in control of a car high, then it is far more risky to be in charge of a child.

I personally think its a bad idea but then I am anti drugs and I don't drink alcohol personally. I wouldn't take, smoke or drink something that would impare judgement due to even when children in bed accidents can happen or even if wake up. I would try and find a healthy way to deal with anxiety rather than relying on any substance (and I am not saying this in a judgemental way)

I personally think its a bad idea but then I am anti drugs and I don't drink alcohol personally. I wouldn't take, smoke or drink something that would impare judgement due to even when children in bed accidents can happen or even if wake up. I would try and find a healthy way to deal with anxiety rather than relying on any substance (and I am not saying this in a judgemental way)

Exactly.
What's more, smoking will only alleviate the stress/anxiety for a short period of time. And what will you do after? Because it will come back. Smoking will not make the cause of your anxiety disappear.
As some PPs have said, try to find another way to fix your anxiety problems. Counselling and therapy will be of more help in the long run.

I don't smoke or really drink personally, but in my home state marajuana is legal, so in that case, I don't see how it would be any different than have a glass of wine...which plenty of perfectly responsible parents do. Of course, if you are breastfeeding, you would need to consider whether it would pass to your baby, just as you would alcohol.

If it isn't something I would do in front of my kids for some sort of a reason, then I probably shouldn't be doing it period.

That makes little sense. There are lots of things children shouldn't see, because they're too young, but it doesn't mean adults shouldn't do them. Do you never have sex, watch adult content TV shows, listen to adult content music?

Personally I do think it's a bad idea, as a fellow anxiety sufferer weed has made that about 1000000x worse in the past (as has alcohol, and to a lesser degree caffeine).
I don't necessarily think it's wrong, though. If you've done it enough in the past to know your limits then it's not like you're going to get off your face with a child in the house. I often have a glass or two of wine after Lucas has gone to bed, I don't get so out of it that my judgement would be impaired, it just helps me to wind down and if I felt myself getting drunk, I'd stop. I see no difference with someone smoking weed.
I also wouldn't have thought it was enough to get you into trouble with SS.

I think it's a really bad idea. I am pretty anti drugs anyway to be honest. I think using anxiety and keeping calm for your son to justify drug use is just an excuse. Weed is known to put you at increased risk of mental disorders. If you were genuinely wanting to sort your anxiety and be the best parent for your son, you wouldn't turn to illegal substances, you'd seek proper help.
If your son wakes up in the night, bumps his head, and you have to take him to hospital, would you risk nurses and doctors smelling drugs on you or suspecting you'd been using something due to bloodshot eyes or something? Because I imagine if they have an injured child in and they suspect the mother is on something they have certain procedures to follow.
I'm not even saying never have it ever again, I'm saying whilst in care of a child, or if you will be in care of a child whilst still under the influence, it's irresponsible.

i smoked weed day in day out before being pregnant, of corse the day i found out i didnt touch a bit. a couple weeks ago i was real stressed and LO had gone to bed, i just really wanted a little bit. my OH smokes, so it was there, and always is, i had a little bit of his.
people say about your state of mind changing and yes, it does, but everyone is different. my friend can have a joint and she is comotosed for hours, cant be bothered moving, cant be bothered talking, hardly does anything. another friend however, (which i will add i DO NOT agree with) smoked weed right through her pregnancy, and after she had her baby - after labour her mum brought her one to the hospital and she smoked it there!. as far as i know to this day she still smokes it day in day out and it doesnt affect her abilities to care for her little girl.
nor did it me. when i have a smoke i actually have more energy and motivation to do things, im up cleaning, sorting things etc, and i am 100% alert for my little boy, ive only ever had a few, and only ever when my LB is in bed.

i wouldnt tell someone else to go for it bcos like i say everyones different and im not the kind of person to tell someone to take drugs, but you know what you are like, and only you can make the decision yourself

That makes little sense. There are lots of things children shouldn't see, because they're too young, but it doesn't mean adults shouldn't do them. Do you never have sex, watch adult content TV shows, listen to adult content music?

I also wouldn't have thought it was enough to get you into trouble with SS.

I sort of knew that this would come up after I posted it, actually, and I did misstate what I meant to say. Let me try this again. If it's something I wouldn't want my children to eventually be doing, then it's probably something I shouldn't be doing, PERIOD. In other words, if the idea of my child smoking weed in the future bothers me, and it's something that I would punish him/her for if he/she were caught smoking it, then I better not be doing it myself. Live by example. And that's how I feel about it. I'm really not a fan of drugs. I support the use of medical marijuana, under a doctor's supervision and advisement, but not for self-diagnosed conditions, or for recreation, particular when there are children in the vicinity. I hope that corrects what I meant to say earlier.

As far as the SS thing goes, it WILL get you in trouble, actually. I have first-hand experience with this in my former marriage...I had a 15 year-old stepson who smoked weed with his biological mother at a party, and someone turned his mother in to the Department of Human Services. This nearly had her 6 year-old twin daughters removed from her home, and she was assigned a social worker that performed regular home assessments. Under Iowa code, smoking pot in the presence of a minor child is considered child abuse, and has merited the removal of children from households.

I wouldn't do it, reason being a woman I know has 3 kids, one of them is a young baby, she occassionally smokes weed when the kids are in bed.
A while back she got some really bad news. The older two kids weren't home at the time, just mom and baby. This woman ran out of her house and left the baby alone, not thinking clearly because her mind was elsewhere. She had only smoked one joint, not even finished when she got the news yet it affected her enough to forget her baby was alone with her and not out with the other kids. It was only hours later that she remembered the baby, thankfully someone had seen her run out and heard the baby crying so they went in and got the baby.

Smoking weed affects different people in different ways, if there is any other way that you can calm your anxiety though I'd try that route first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->