Thoughts on this: Courts have "quietly" ruled that MMR vaccine causes autism...

I was blissfully ignorant to this whole thing this morning, then I saw a facebook post. DS was supposed to have his MMR tomorrow, so I'm having a little anxiety. What is the purpose of delaying the vaccine? If MMR does cause autism, is it less likely to cause it if the child is further along developmentally?

There is no scientific evidence to support that the MMR causes autism. Ever. Regardless of the age it's given.

The reason some people delay the MMR is because there are some studies that suggest it may be more effective if given after 15 months. It's something that hasn't been widely acknowledged, so it's up to you to do with that information as you see fit. We delayed simply because there was no recent measles outbreak in our area and our doctor gave us the okay to delay it by 3 months.

There's no harm in giving it on schedule, so don't worry about that. :)

Thanks for the quick responses, Shadowy Lady, Tiff and staralfur.

The reason some people delay the MMR is because there are some studies that suggest it may be more effective if given after 15 months. It's something that hasn't been widely acknowledged, so it's up to you to do with that information as you see fit. We delayed simply because there was no recent measles outbreak in our area and our doctor gave us the okay to delay it by 3 months.

There's no harm in giving it on schedule, so don't worry about that. :)

Thanks for this. I was thinking of delaying just so I can do more research (I think I've been living under a rock...how did I not know about this?). I asked DH about it after I posted and he gave a very definite NO, IT DOES NOT. DS didn't end up getting his vaccine this morning - the timing didn't work out. We're going to reschedule for next week. I would feel horrible if DS got measles, mumps, etc.

Claire was sick when she was due for most of her shots, so we inadvertently ended up with a delayed vax schedule. She didn't have her MMR until she was almost 2. :flower:

Yes, she has Autism. But she showed the signs for it LONG before she had the MMR. She was stacking, lining things up, organizing, not talking etc at around 12 months, which is unfortunate as that's when the MMR is recommended to get.

I get the worry, I was too! But with some research I felt much better about it and you probably will as well. :hugs:

Claire was sick when she was due for most of her shots, so we inadvertently ended up with a delayed vax schedule. She didn't have her MMR until she was almost 2. :flower:

Actually, this is why DS hasn't had his yet either. He started daycare around his birthday in November and we've all been sick ever since.

At what age was Claire diagnosed with autism?

She was flagged at her 2 year well baby check up for lack of speech. She didn't have a lot of words, most kids when they were 12 months were speaking loads more where she could barely string 2 words together.

She wasn't diagnosed until she was almost 3 though. :flower:

My eldest is going through diagnosis for autism, many of his symptoms and issues such as sensory issues were present before his MMR vaccinations, there is no compelling evidence to suggest the MMR causes autism and it's clear in my case he "had" it before the vaccines.

I think that the age of the vaccines correlates well with then things become more noticeable, at least that's the case with Sam.

I agree with the second person who commented. Do your own research & come to your own conclusions. There is A LOT of misinformation spread on both sides of this debate in my opinion. My LO is turning 3 in July, and DH & I have never vaccinated him for a variety of reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->