Threatened Miscarriage?

penny143

Reaction score
This is my first baby and I had my first OB appointment two days ago. My LP dating had me at 7 weeks, but I used ovulation predictors and O'd a week late. I had some light spotting so the doctor did an ultrasound. The US dated me at 6 weeks 1 day (which makes sense with my O date). Everything looked good except there was no flicker of the heart beat. The doctor said there's a chance it will show up, but that more than likely it will not be a viable pregnancy. He did not run my hcg levels in a blood test. I go back in ten days to get another ultrasound. Has anyone been through something like this? I'm devastated but wondering if there is any chance that it was too soon for a heartbeat

I'm pretty sure the truth is the opposite of what your doctor said... it's less common to see a heartbeat so early and most of the time, people go back in a week and find one!

Our midwife suggested we wait until closer to 8 weeks so we would definitely have a heartbeat, as she knew I'd panic if there wasn't one.

Even if you were absolutely sure about your dates you couldn't be certain of seeing a heartbeat this early. I know the phrase "threatened miscarriage" is used any time there's bleeding, but it doesn't sound like you have anything serious to worry about at all. Try to relax! I bet by the next scan you'll see a squirmy little one with a good HB. :)

I think your Dr has jumped the gun massively here. Have a look throughout this forum, there are tonnes of posts that say that they didn't see a heartbeat at that gestation but when they went back a week/ 2 weeks later, it was there.

Please don't take what he has said as gospel. Look after yourself and go to your next appointment with an open mind which I appreciate is difficult after being told what you have been. Big hugs lovely x

Your doctor is an absolute idiot!! I had my ultrasound and dated at 6 weeks not with LMP (exactly like u I ovulated a week later) and I was not given such a ridiculous statement! I was told to have another scan for 8 weeks gestation and that I'll see the heartbeat then.

I'm so angry for you that your doctor could be so cruel to speculate a miscarriage when it's way too early to see the heartbeat! Yes some people see it but that's very rare!

Please ignore what you were told!

I agree, your doctor is an idiot and I would be changing doctors. The first question he should have asked is if you were certain of your ovulation date. If you aren't, or in this case, it sounds like you are, and the dates align with how far along baby looks by scan, but he still has concerns he should offer you reassurance and book you in for a second look next week to check there has been further growth. It is relatively unlikely you would see a heartbeat at 6 weeks 1 day, so that sounds normal with how far along you are. I did have a missed miscarriage where baby stopped developing at 5 weeks, so I had a scan at 8 weeks and it showed a 5 week baby. I was certain of my dates (actually had gotten a positive pregnancy test 5 weeks before, so no chance my dates could be off). Even then, I had 2 further scans each a week apart before they were comfortable confirming a miscarriage. Your doctor sounds like a jerk and not very skilled. I would see someone new, make sure you're booked in for a second ultrasound next week to check, and try to stay positive. I suspect you'll see a 7 week baby next week. You'll most likely also see a heartbeat by then, but definitely by 8 weeks. I did have a little bit of spotting with my miscarriage, though not until 8 weeks (even though baby stopped growing at 5 weeks). But I had heavy bleeding with my daughter in 1st tri (like gushing bleeding) and all was obviously well and I went on to have a perfectly normal, healthy pregnancy, so bleeding and spotting doesn't necessarily mean anything. Fingers crossed for you.

I'm not gonna say that I agree with your doctor based on the information you've provided, but I didn't see the ultrasound personally, so I don't think he's necessarily wrong to treat the pregnancy this way right now. Your doctor is looking at more than the size of the embryo and the heart beat. There's any number of things that could look "not quite right" to him to make him think the pregnancy probably isn't viable. I don't see any reason to get your hopes up to be disappointed. In my opinion, it's better to go into your next appointment expecting the worst (a non-viable pregnancy) and hearing that the pregnancy IS viable than to go in expecting a heart beat and see none. I will be keeping you in my thoughts and hope that your next appointment goes beautifully and happily!

I wanted to follow up so that anyone who is in the same situation as me knows the outcome. I had a scan today and they found a healthy little heartbeat. The doctor said I'm not out of the woods yet as I'm only 8 weeks so they're going to do an ultra sound every two weeks, but it's the best news we could get today

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->