Three year old silent when we go out

laura109

Reaction score
Hi ladies. My just turned three year old has in decent months stopped talking when we are not at home. She used to chat away to people she knew but I suppose she's never been one of the performer/loud children. I noticed it began when her brother was born. He's ten weeks old. She loves him. She also gets alot of one on one time still. He sleeps plenty so he doesn't take up all my time and when he is awake there doesn't seem to be any jealousy.

Anyway if my friends come over she won't say a single word to them. I have one friend she will talk to pretty quickly though. It's the same with family. One of my sisters can get her talking in minutes..my mum and dad take alot longer and she has pretty much stopped talking to my dad all together. She won't usually speak to me in the street to the extent there's food in the changing bag she wants to eat but won't say a single word to actually get it. She grunts and points. Occasionally when we are out if I ask a question that really really matters to her she may start talking.

I have put her down to start nursery in May. When we looked around she said absolutely nothing but did touch some stuff and start playing despite refusing to say a word. I am starting to feel abit disheartened because I have read up on selective mutism and fear she may not break this cycle. I mentioned it to my health visitor who said to just not push her and assured me it was normal. Despite her reassurance I still worry I'm missing something. What if she doesn't snap out of it and won't talk to anyone easily y anymore. If she doesn't speak at nursery how will she settle and enjoy the experience?.

It's just getting to me abit seeing all the other three year olds chatting away. I'd give anything for people to see my daughter being who she really is. I feel like people think she's just a rude kid as I'm forever having to explain she's shy or she won't talk to people at the moment (when she can't hear me,)

I've also noticed sometimes she won't talk but she will squeel and get silly or she will show toys to adults to try get there attention as she still seems to like adults making a fuss of her.

I don't think it's time to take her to the Dr's yet but would appreciate any advise or experiences. If she's still like it after she has been at nursery a while I will seek some professional advice. With her only just being three last week does this sound like it's going to be a stage or a long term problem? Thanks for anyone who has taken the time to read this.

Hi! I have an only child but do you think maybe she is trying to act like a baby (not talking, showing toys, liking people to make a fuss over her) as some sort of regression since her baby brother was born? If so, it sounds like you’re doing the right thing by having one on one attention and I would think it would be a passing phase.

That’s all I could think of. Maybe others may have some better ideas... Best of luck!

Sounds normal to me, Sophie did the exact same thing. She's a chatty school girl now with no issues. She basically didn't talk to anyone and stared at the ground for 2 years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->