Threw up my prenatal vitamins- Take them again or wait?

Leami

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Hope you are all doing well! :)

I am struggling with a lot of nausea, and I keep throwing up my prenatal vitamins 30 minutes after I take them. When this happens, do I take them again today or do I wait until the next day?

I dont want to overdose on vitamins, but I want to make sure that my little pea gets everything it needs too! :S

Anyone experienced this and has any advice? :)

Maybe try taking them at night?! Also maybe get some folic acid to take on it's own... It's easier to keep down and more important than the other vitamins etc.

Thank you, I will try that :) x

Are you taking them on an empty stomach? If I do it makes me sick but if I wait and take it with food, it's usually good.

As for whether you should take it again, where I work I give medications and the general rule is if it's thrown up within half an hour they didn't get the medication, so if it's after 30 minutes it's mostly absorbed and you don't need to take it again. So, I wouldn't recommend taking another one if you're at the half hour mark. Hopefully that makes sense!

I had the same problem, I started taking it with food (even though the instructions said to take on an empty stomach). The doctor said this was better then not taking them.

I had the same problem a couple of times, I usually would just skip the rest of that day. Like others have said, made sure to take them with food, even if you can barely hold down some crackers or something. It really does help keeping them down!

Yes take them at night with food. If I found myself to be really thirsty I always found that to be a good time to take a pill. If I threw up the pill 30 minutes later maybe I'd try to take it that same day, but maybe 8-12 hours later.

Thank you so much for your advice everyone! I will try that tonight, with some food before I go to bed! :) xx

Please don't take more than 1 prenatal vitamin in a day. Even if you've thrown it up, you do not want to risk your life or your baby's by potentially overdosing on iron. Also, even a bit too much iron can give you intense cramping, which is really scary in first tri. Wait for tomorrow night and then take one right before bed. Hopefully it goes down better for you!! These early days are rough, but your baby is taking from your vitamin stores, not the prenatal vitamin. You're just keeping these stores full by taking the vitamins. So, you're not going to hurt baby by skipping them sometimes (or even by skipping them often, for that matter).

Maybe try taking half in the morning and half at night? That way if you throw up one half at least you will have absorbed the other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->