Thrush or something else?

redlemonade

Reaction score
Hi!

Baby is 7 weeks old and I had thrush when he was 4 weeks old. It cleared quickly when I got APNO and I stopped using APNO after about 5 pain free days. I was also treating baby and toddler. I was clear for about a week when I felt my nipples felt sunburned again so doctor gave more apno. I've been using that for a week, had relief and was just about to stop using it again when my nipples are irritated again! Whilst still using APNO?

They seem sunburned, kind of like a rash developing, often deep purple on the nipple with some blanched bits too at times. Could it be reynauds? It's not a bad pain but it is irritating. I'm thinking it couldn't be thrush anymore as it's not responding to APNO or other treatments (vinegar wash, citricidal, probiotics for the last month).

Any ideas?

Isn't reynauds something that happens to your feet and hands? I don't really know much about it though. I think you should talk to your doctor more about it.

You can get Reynauds on nipples too but more common to be plain old Vasospasm. Try treating is as Vasospasm and see if you get relief. Try to ensure your bra is big enough for you and you keep your nipples warm. Vasospasm is sometimes caused by baby feeding is a position that is cutting blood supply off to the nipple - like clamping down on it. Are your nipples ever squashed or striped after a feed? Do they come out of baby's mouth pink or with blanched areas? It is also possible to get contact dermatitis (by being allergic to breast pads or nipple creams) or eczema on the nipple.

You can get Reynauds on nipples too but more common to be plain old Vasospasm. Try treating is as Vasospasm and see if you get relief. Try to ensure your bra is big enough for you and you keep your nipples warm. Vasospasm is sometimes caused by baby feeding is a position that is cutting blood supply off to the nipple - like clamping down on it. Are your nipples ever squashed or striped after a feed? Do they come out of baby's mouth pink or with blanched areas? It is also possible to get contact dermatitis (by being allergic to breast pads or nipple creams) or eczema on the nipple.

Thanks so much! I've a feeling I need to get a bigger bra actually; I've been meaning to get measured. I think he's possibly clamping down too as I have a very fast flow. After a feed, they can actually come out darker than usual and sometimes blanched a little shortly afterwards? Sounds like vasospasm so, I guess. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!

I think he's possibly clamping down too as I have a very fast flow.

If you think you could manage it, you could try a reclined feeding position. It doesn't have to be fully lying down; anything that brings some of the breast tissue lower than baby's mouth helps slow the flow (as it has to work against gravity).

I love feeding in a reclined position. I would definitely suggest giving that a try. I don't even have a fast letdown and it works great for us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->