Thrush post-partum, after antibiotics

Rootyboots

Reaction score
Hi guys... my first post on a post-birth forum - and such a lovely one! Our little boy is now a week old, and we're loving (almost!) every minute of having him with us. We had a long, long labour, and what started off as an all natural experience turned into a 46 hour, fully medicated labour (epidural) because things just weren't progressing, and after 33 hours of managing with water and paracetamol, I couldn't cope with the drip they gave me.

Basically, once we had the epidural, things started to go better, and he was born thirteen hours later - the main complication being that apparently my temperature shot up towards the end, meaning they gave me IV antibiotics, followed by a five day course of oral antibiotics, after we left hospital. I've never really had it explained to me what this was about, or what infection I had. But now, I think I have developed vaginal thrush :( I had a couple of stitches, and everything was basically fine down there (or as fine as it's likely to be after pushing an 8lb 4.5oz baby out!) but today I'm feeling really tender and sore, and when I looked in the mirror, there's a lot of white stuff down there (TMI, sorry!)

My nipples also feel a bit tender, and are pink-ish, on the tips (the rest of my nipples being brown). Do you think it's possible I also have thrush on my nipples? I haven't looked in my baby's mouth yet, but I'm praying he doesn't have it too! Not quite sure what to do. The midwife is coming to visit tomorrow, so of course I'll ask her, but any thoughts for now? I guess it wouldn't be surprising to have thrush after so many antibiotics, but it's frustrating! Breastfeeding is hard enough as it is... this would be the last thing we need!

Thanks in advance for your help xxx

My doctor went ahead and gave me three diflacam pills to take before, during, and after my antibiotic course. You can get yeast in other places as well. I would ask about getting the pills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->