Thrush

AK89

Reaction score
So I think (but am not sure) my baby has thrush in her mouth.. For the past week or so I've noticed she has a white coating on her tongue that doesn't ever seem to go away. I've tried wiping it with a cotton bud but couldn't really see if it had any effect on it.. then in the last few days I've been getting shooting pains / itching in my boobs. I hadn't had chance to register the baby at the GP until Wednesday 'cause I thought I had to wait til I had her birth certificate and I couldn't get that til then, so I rang yesterday for an appointment and was advised to go along to the health visitors drop in clinic rather than see the GP. So I did and she wasn't really able to properly confirm it as thrush somehow.. she said chances are it's thrush in her as opposed to milk residue 'cause it's quite thick, although she didn't seem too sure..and from my symptoms she couldn't confirm it as thrush, even though from what I've read about It it sounds like it... I think because I don't have some of the symptoms like cracked, red, shiny nipples. She basically didn't sound too sure about the whole thing but she prescribed me Nystatin for baby and Clotrimazole 1% cream for me just to be on the safe side.

Since getting home and reading more about it it seems there are other things you have to do if you DO have thrush. Namely discarding all milk expressed in the time you have it!! Which considering I've been storing milk up for when I'm out for a while now and I'm not entirely sure how long we've had it :( so I'm ore pretty gutted about that. And annoyed that she didn't mention that!

Also I heard about loads of other stuff you've gotta do like washing your bras at 90 degrees or something? And cleaning your nipples with white vinegar and changing your pads every feed?? She didn't mention any of this to me! :shrug:

Now I'm starting to think, what if it isn't actually thrush, since she seemed so unsure?! I'd throw out all my milk and go to all these lengths for no reason! Is there anything else that could cause itching and shooting pains In my boobs other than thrush?

Anyway now it's Friday I won't be able to get in to the GP til Monday so I've got no choice really..

So what exactly do I have to do?? Other than taking the medication.. :wacko:

My ds and I had it about a month ago and I didn't do any of that. His Dr prescribed nystatin also. I called my Dr and she said newer studies shoe that the mom doesn't need to be treated, ad the meds in Los mouth will transfer to mom's nipples. So I didn't take any meds. The only things I did additionally were take away his plush toys until the truth was gone and u sterilized his binkys after every use until it was gone. We did have to use most of the bottle of meds before it totally cleared tho. But it did go away and his meds seed to be enough to clear me up too

Ooh OK thanks!

My mum seems to think it's unlikely anyway that I have it 'cause of the way my nipples look (just completely normal) so I don't know... If I don't then I don't have a clue what these shooting pains and itching are.

I got the meds for both of us anyway so will definitely use hers and might even use mine just for good measure! And change my pads more often 'cause I don't think I was doing it enough (once a day).

Is there any particular time I should give baby her meds d'you know? Like just before or after feeding or whatever?

I had to do it 4 times a day and he couldn't eat for at least 10 min afterwards, so I did it after feedings. I just put some on a qtip and wiped it around the inside of his lips, inside his cheeks, on his tongue and the roof of his mouth
My nipples seemed fine for the most part too. They were itchy like the first day then that was it
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->