Thyroid and bpf

I just had my second blood test for tsh yesterday, so fingers crossed it is now under control with the increase dosage of thyroxine!

I was told by my endo that I will need to check my levels very often throughout and as soon as I find out I'm pregnant. I'm 6w1d and had my levels checked last week. They were fine (1.3 if I remember?) and I have not increased my dose. It is very important because low thyroid can lead to low iq.

Pisces and Anne let me know what your levels are! Do you think they will check mine at every appt now?
I was worried about keeping the synthroid down since it has to be on an empty stomach and I'm so nauseous. So far so good thank goodness.

I have hyperthyroid, usually subclinical (highest tsh was 0.27 but normal t3 and t4 and only medicated once) but have been feeling really off and had my primary doc add on thyroid check early, the 0.27 was in may. The tsh has tanked to pretty much unmeasurable and t3 and t4 are rising, getting sent back to endocrinology, they're calling with the appointment and looks like back on meds. Havent been on them while pregnant before so rather nervous about what effects they could have vs leaving it. For such a small gland it can give all kinds of problems!!!:hugs:

From what I understand high tsh means low thyroid function and that's what is linked to problems with brain development/iq. My Reproductive endocrinologist always said it was ok of I was over corrected (hyper) but bad if I was hypo. She just didn't want me to be symptomatic of hyper. So if you're feeling off then hopefully meds will help. It's a totally different med for hyper right? How do you feel when you say off? I know when my tsh was 0.29 I had a really fast heart rate and couldn't sleep.
Hope you feel better soon!

Ok that's reassuring that its not the low tsh giving the low IQ.

The med I was on last time was PTU as I was breastfeeding, felt so good on it then had to come off after stabilizing. At 0.27 I felt pretty good lol, but feeling off is a racing heartrate, I'm really really shaky, very nauseous, weight falls off and just a general cant turn off feeling. What does hypo feel like?

Well hypo feels like fatigue and maybe some fogginess. Really cold hands and feet. And is associated with weight gain.

I went to the doctor today and he said my levels were very low and that I need an increase right away he said about 100mg or more, but he did not give me a prescription yet he wants me to re-test blood work to make sure he is giving me the right levels and get a ultra sound done.Just so he can figure how far along I am also, to make sure its not an ectopic pregnancy and that the baby is in the right place. I did my blood work again 3 pokes "ouch"(small veins)and he told me by tommorow or monday he can tell me results cross fingers.Ultra sound on September 2nd, so I will see how that goes.

I called my GP and my levels were still low and he also tested me for pregnancy again and the results were postive of course, maybe he thinks Im making it up? He didn't send my adjusted synthroid dose to the pharmacy after he told me he would.
my last straw
I was so upset I ended up going to the Walk-in Clinic. They were able to get my blood work results and give me the correct dose the same day.The doctor who helped me told me it is important to check my levels while being pregnant as it effects the babys weight and brain fuction.He explained everything to me I am hypo. I had radioactive treatment when I was 14yrs old.He told me my thryroid still works it just makes a little bit of T3/T4 I had no clue as my Gp told me it was completely dead after treatment.
He gave me blood test for two years as he said even after pregnancy it may not be the same as it was before.The doctor at the clinic basically told me to get rid of my Family Doctor as he did not offer me any testing or refer me to anyone after positive pregnancy blood work. Mind you my GP is about 79yrs of age and doesnt want to retire due to ex-wife getting some of his money. Im not going back there again I can't be playing around when Im pregnant.The Clinic gave me some numbers to Maternity Clincs around my area that can help me Im going to call A.S.A.P.Monday.

Anne do you have an obgyn? I know testing tsh is in the routine ob workup and then they retest it regularly throughout pregnancy.
It's sad that we have to be our own advocate with drs sometimes. Glad you got your new dose.

How frustrating Annabee! but glad you got it sorted out with your higher dose, can't believe your gp wouldn't listen to you and checked you twice and still didn't give you your prescription! You really have to be your own advocate for you and your baby, good on you for taking matters into your own hands.

I haven't yet heard from my endo so hoping no news is good news, I should be able to get my blood results from my gp tomorrow, as going for a 10 week check up, its so nerve wracking having hypo due to consequences for baby!

Just got my results,
TSH is down to 0.75, phew! from 3.99 about 5 weeks ago. What a relief! Slightly elevated free T4, but I will take it, better than having a high TSH! Such a stress this hypothyrodism!

Hi ladies!

How far along in your pregnancy are you AnneBee?

I am 10 weeks pregnant and found out I had a hypo thyroid problem when I was 6 weeks. My Dr organised another blood test to confirm this but unfortunately no one informed me of the results, which apparently had gotten a lot worse. I had my first meeting with my OB who informed me at my 9 & a half week scan and she put me on medication right away. As I've only been diagnosed I have to get quite frequent blood tests to ascertain the correct dose, then less frequent but still regular blood tests as the pregnancy progresses.

I am quite concerned considering I had a very under active thyroid for the most crucial developmental stage of my pregnancy, with no medication...however the baby is growing well and has a strong heart beat. Not much I can do but remain positive & hope it didn't harm the baby. However I am certainly more than unimpressed with my Dr for allowing that to happen.

Generally speaking, I think most OB's take thyroid problems (whilst pregnant) a lot more seriously than Dr's. My Dr said my thyroid results were a bit unsettled and left it at that, where as my OB gave me an entirely different story; it was very under active and I needed medication right away. At the end of the day, I think it's so important to find a good OB you can trust who will keep on top of these things for you (whilst also thinking forward yourself). Good luck everyone x

I am 9 weeks 6 days and and I had my first maternal appointment today.He pretty much said im underactive and wants to give me an even higher dose then 100mg that the doctor gave me.Bascially the same thing that had happened to you its happening to me doctor gave me a low dose and the OB says higher 138.5-175? I just did blood work so im going to wait a day or two before I pick up any meds.He said the higher it is the better for me the lower theres a problem.If I get shakey after awhile Im suppose to call and get a lower dose.

Hi!

Popping in from third trimester... I'm also hypothyroid and have been taking synthroid for years. I waited until my first appointment to do my blood work and stuff, doc said it was totally fine....when I got tested they increased my dosage and I'm almost 33 weeks now and baby is totally fine too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->