Thyroid at 4.7

cskme_

Reaction score
I just saw my doctor and my thyroid is high, supposed to be 4 and its 4.7. I've read some awful things online about having a high thyroid during pregnancy. Can anyone educate me here? Is this bad? How do I fix it?

That is too high according to most guidelines I have read. What did your provider say? Are they going to start or increase your thyroid meds?

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/752878

I just saw my family doctor and he kind of shrugged it off, I have an appointment with my obstetrician tomorrow though, hopefully she will guide me in the right direction. My thyroid was normal around 5 weeks when I had my first bloodwork done, I heard that sometimes it does go up as your pregnancy progresses but it's just something you need to keep under control (according to what I've read online) hopefully it's not doing any harm to my baby and hopefully I can get it lowered soon

I would imagine your ob is going to be more knowledgeable on the dangers of untreated hypothyroidism in pregnancy and treat accordingly. I have hashimotos and get my thyroid levels checked regularly, every guideline I've read says during pregnancy the max recommended TSH is under 2.5-3. Untreated hypothyroidism affects infants brain development.

If they decide not to treat and do no additional testing such as T4 and testing for antibodies, I would ask what guidelines they are following to arrive at that decision and honestly I would find a new doctor if they aren't willing to hear your concerns.

do you know if this could have caused my baby harm already? I have heard of people's being way higher. I know it's not healthy right now but I'm trying to remain positive until I see her today and get it sorted out

Just after my son was born I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. My TSH was 179 and he's absolutely fine. I would defo push your doctor on this though, you may need to low dose of levothyroxine while you're pregnant. They should also be doing further blood tests...t3 t4 and antibody tests! X

I have such bad anxiety I wish I could go see her right now. I've read too many things about M/C due to underactive thyroid, I'm 13 weeks tomorrow and now I'm not even excited to be leaving first tri because I know there is still a risk because of my TSH, even if that weren't to happen now I'm scared my baby will be a slow learner and need special attention in school. I'm overthinking it but i cant believe my doctor didn't say anything except "your thyroid is a little high" and didn't explain to me what that even means

In Ireland its 5 or over that's considered abnormal
But while preg the ideal is to keep it around 2.
Id push to be treated though.
Even maybe 25 mg thyroxine every second day might be enough.
Or just a low dose anyway should do since ur not very high.
But get ur t4 checked too hon.
I agree if ur Dr wont listen.
Find Dr who will.
Id think its extremely unlikely to hve caused damage already
Cos its not overly high
But u want it to not get higher.
U will most likely need meds to do that
Hugs
Hope the get u sorted soon xxx

Thank you, it's reassuring knowing that it isn't too high and that a lot of women have had it a lot worse and still had healthy babies. I hope my baby has taken enough of the hormone to become smart and build its own properly working thyroid

That's prob why ur gone a bit high.
Baby is robbing yours :)
Xxx
Let us know how u get on hon x

Apparently if the hormone level is high it's because your thyroid is underactive. I have no idea about any of this stuff I just google everything and freak myself out lol. I'm at the doctor right now waiting. It's scary enough having a baby in the first place and then they throw all of these little health related things at you it's frightening!

So I went and saw the doctor, she said TSH at 4.7 isn't enough to harm my baby, but it is best to take medication to lower that number before it gets any higher. She said they like to have it around 2.5 during pregnancy, but not to worry because nothing bad would have happened already.

You'll be fine and so will baby. I have hypothyroidism and been on medication since 2009. 4.7 isn't terribly high, just off the cut off. They'll put you on a medication called synthroid or levothyroxine, safe and necessary to take during your pregnancy and probably after. Let me know if you have any questions!

Yes they put me on 0.025 mg. doesn't seem like a whole lot but I'm sure they know what dose to give me lol! I'm happy that it was caught now and sorted out anyways. thanks I appreciate it!!

Yes they put me on 0.025 mg. doesn't seem like a whole lot but I'm sure they know what dose to give me lol! I'm happy that it was caught now and sorted out anyways. thanks I appreciate it!!

Oh yes, that's a very low dose. I'm at .150! You'll start having more energy after a couple weeks of taking it. :)

What was your TSH level at if you don't mind me asking?

When I first got diagnosed it was around 7 and I started at .050. Ever since, I've been having a lot of instances of it going up randomly especially when I'm under a lot of stress. The highest it's been was a 31. Last few months it's been at a 13 so it's been increased twice since January already. It's super annoying!

Ohhh okay so the dose that she gave me makes more sense to me now lol. I'm going for bloodwork in just over 3 weeks I hope it gets better

Ohhh okay so the dose that she gave me makes more sense to me now lol. I'm going for bloodwork in just over 3 weeks I hope it gets better

It should! She'll keep you on the same dosage if your TSH is normal. If it's still a little high she'll very slowly increase it... I think the next dosage would be .037mg.

Also, let her know if you start feeling shaky or your heart starts having palpations bc then you need your dosage decreased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->