Thyroid problems!?!

leedsforever

Kerry!
Reaction score
Im under the hospital for my hypertension (high blood pressure) Im still on meds for it.. (although havent been to pick my recent lot up :blush:)! Went to docs on thursday and without meds it was 140/90 but she was quite pleased beings I hadnt taken my meds for a while!!

Next weds is my next appointment and the hospital and I will get all my results back, last time I had to do a 24 hr urine sample and had a full set of bloods done including ones to check my thyroid...

does anyone have either an over-active or under-active thyroid?? What happens?? If anything it will be an under-active (thats the one where you struggle to lose weight right?)

Any help appreciated :):)

My sister has an underactive thyroid.

She takes thyroxine daily, and has blood tests twice yearly to assess if her meds need altered. Her symptoms were tiredness, dry skin, hair falling out, and weight gain.

Since her meds were sorted, she has been fine. She is slim and very active - she is a firefighter.

Hope you get sorted hon xx

I have underactive and take a daily dose of Levothyroxine. I have a blood test again Monday to check the dosage is correct xXx

Sorry I shoulda said the Levothyroxine is a teeny little tablet, no problem to swallow :)

My sister has an underactive thyroid.

She takes thyroxine daily, and has blood tests twice yearly to assess if her meds need altered. Her symptoms were tiredness, dry skin, hair falling out, and weight gain.

Since her meds were sorted, she has been fine. She is slim and very active - she is a firefighter.

Hope you get sorted hon xx

I really do have major problems with my hair falling out, but I have for a long time!! :( I literally malt all over the place!! And I have dry skin on my scalp!!

Surely though if my bloods showed a problem they would have contacted me... or do the NHS not see it as a big problem?!

I would have expected them to contact you if you have it, but I have learned not to expect too much of the NHS, so who knows!!!!!!!!

yeh especially as the first lot of bloods they took were sent for the wrong test... :( had to have them again :(

but if i do have an underactive thyroid would help explain the slow weight loss :(

Hiya, I've had an under active thyroid since I was 10 and take thyroixine tablet every day.

As I am now 32 it was years ago before I was diagnosed but before starting my medication I had started to put weight on, but the weight is different, it's difficult to explain, I looked like I had water retention in my face and all over, fortunately this was soon gone after taking the thyroixine to correct the balance. I'll list the symptoms I experienced and occasionally still do:

Extreme tiredness/sluggishness :sleep:
Mentally cloudy - find it difficult to concentrate/stay focused :wacko:
Sensitive to the cold - always have cold hands even in really warm weather :cold:
Constipation :blush:

Just a warning also, I'd read (whilst trying to get pregnant) that pregnancy can alter thryoxine levels so once I got pregnant I requested a thyroid test, but my Dr didn't want to do one as I wasn't due a blood test for another 3 months and he said (as did another Dr) that the information I'd read was wrong and that I was worrying over nothing but I insisted on a blood test and guess what?! My thyroxine levels had altered, I needed an increase in medication. (Sorry I know this is tuning out to be a long reply lol) but despite the thyroxine treatment being simple in the form of a daily tablet, you can still feel symptoms occassionally, and if you do get pregnant then insist on more frequent blood tests.

I have an underactive thyroid, which was confirmed 8 years ago. My doctor had me tested for it due to a miscarriage in my first pregnancy.

I have been on Levothyroxine daily and, fortunately for me, my levels have not changed at all in the 8 years and haven't during my pregnancies too.

They caught mine in the nick of time as I am borderline underactive so don't have the "lose weight problem." However, with blood pressure, I can tell it affects me as I get dizzy easy. Another thing is, you may feel lethargic, your sex drive may not be high, dry skin occurs, etc.

I am glad that you are getting tested! I should have thought of that months ago for you :)

I have underactive and hypertension- we really do need to meet!!!!

Its very difficult to separate the two! before was diagnosed with hypothyroidism I was sleeping 20 hours a day, put on 3 stone and couldnt concerntrate on anything.

I was an extreme case as noone bothered to test it, when they finally did they found the instead of my level being the normal 7ish, it was nearly 30 :dohh:

TBH, from yoyr previous posts it wouldnt surprise me if you had it. on the plus side it means free prescriptions on all meds for life, and the tabets are tiny and no bother

I had my test but apparently no problems...

but it was on GMTV and Im so similar to the symptons... coldness... always cold!! I wind ppl up with my moaning!!
my hair falls out...
tiredness and ive always been like that even before pregnancy!!

and with the concentration thing... I havent watched one film since courtney has been born... I just cant get into it and lose concentration so quickly!

:shrug: Im just a special kind lol!

Think Im gonna tell my gp and get them to do it again or test for other things...??

it'll be worth testing again. and ask them what the actual result was- it has quite a large 'normal' range so if you're in the lower end then it could be enough to be a problem.

just a thought, I also have vitamin B12 deficiency and that has similar symptoms for me- have you had that tested?

no i havent... wats that?? Yeah the doc just said no problems after i asked him for the results!! i think i will push for a test at the gp!!

if I were you I'd ask for thyroid function again, folate and a full blood count

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"